No registration required

Question [Q] DIY Car Project

OP kuri_2k

19th June 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking all over the net for some answers for a DIY Project i'm trying to do.
Basically I want to have buy either ChromeCast or EzCast and connect to my cars AUX double din head unit to mainly mirror Pandora from my Android Mobile (Sony Xperia Z).

The questions I'm hoping to have answered are the following;

1. Can I use ChromeCast or EzCast in my car without being connected to a wireless hotspot or network? Being a car setup, I wont have a hotspot in my car, unless a LTE/4G Dongle, which I don't intend to.

- Will they work by just directly from my Mobile to the Cast dongle?

2. If mirroring Pandora, will the music or the head units display stop when I turn off my Mobiles display? (I dont want to constantly have my display on as that will drain my battery)

3. Which is better EzCast or ChromeCast Dongles?

If someone would be so kind as to answer the above questions for me, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks
19th June 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 884

2,251 posts
Donate to Me
More
  1. Not Chromecast - Chromecast requires Internet connection because it's designed to pull content from the Internet.
  2. No. In the cast of Chromecast, Chromecast itself is the device requesting the stream and playing it. Your controlling device is only a control and can be rebooted, disconnected, turn off, etc.
  3. In this case, given your requirement of not having a hotspot/Internet, I would say not Chromecast. I don't know if EzCast is appropriate, so I'll leave that to others.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,907 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

1. Not Chromecast - Chromecast requires Internet connection because it's designed to pull content from the Internet.
  2. No. In the cast of Chromecast, Chromecast itself is the device requesting the stream and playing it. Your controlling device is only a control and can be rebooted, disconnected, turn off, etc.
  3. In this case, given your requirement of not having a hotspot/Internet, I would say not Chromecast. I don't know if EzCast is appropriate, so I'll leave that to others.

THIS!

He would be much better off just getting himself an LTE Nexus7, finding a way to mount it that is convenient and wiring it into the Audio system Aux Connection directly or installing a BlueTooth Audio Access point to that aux input that the Tablet or phone can connect to.
Many of today's better Car stereos have an Aux input that will override the input currently selected on the AV unit for use with GPS when it detects an audio signal.

And by dong this you can use the Tablet as a GPS unit as well!
More expensive but you will need the tablet or phone to control the CCast anyway doing what you want to do....
You could just buy a mount that is wired correctly and use your current Phone or Tablet to do this.
Or buy a tablet specifically for this purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 07:55 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

THIS!

He would be much better off just getting himself an LTE Nexus7, finding a way to mount it that is convenient and wiring it into the Audio system Aux Connection directly or installing a BlueTooth Audio Access point to that aux input that the Tablet or phone can connect to.
Many of today's better Car stereos have an Aux input that will override the input currently selected on the AV unit for use with GPS when it detects an audio signal.

And by dong this you can use the Tablet as a GPS unit as well!
More expensive but you will need the tablet or phone to control the CCast anyway doing what you want to do....
You could just buy a mount that is wired correctly and use your current Phone or Tablet to do this.
Or buy a tablet specifically for this purpose.

Thank god! Cheers guys for the helpful responses, you just saved me alot of time!

Thing is I have an Alpine INA-W900BT head unit, it has bluetooth, it has GPS, it plays videos(not that I've ever used it lol), reverse camera video and the main thing is it sounds amazing! As an amplifier it reproduces great audio. A tablet can't give you that sound clarity and control with the cars audio system/sub.

Annoying thing is BT audio stream though AUX leaves me with a blank display, so I figure i'll try to "cast" it. Atleast this way I should be able to see pandora on the screen.

Maybe the next car i'll do the Tablet DIY similar to this fellow, don't want to spend to much cash on this right now;
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...69411363,d.c2E

For now, just want to mirror or local cast somehow. You're right though, end of the day I'm still going to have to control it with my phone...
Maybe get a Android Smart Box hmmm....

Does anyone know if Ezcast requires a hotspot?
20th June 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 332

897 posts
Why don't you use MHL?
20th June 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,907 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri_2k

Thank god! Cheers guys for the helpful responses, you just saved me alot of time!

Thing is I have an Alpine INA-W900BT head unit, it has bluetooth, it has GPS, it plays videos(not that I've ever used it lol), reverse camera video and the main thing is it sounds amazing! As an amplifier it reproduces great audio. A tablet can't give you that sound clarity and control with the cars audio system/sub.

Well unfortunately that unit is made more for Apple not Android....

If you have an Apple device and plug it into USB I believe it will display video for control of the device to the screen. But it seems to be limited to iPod and Music storage and makes no mention of things like Pandora. It would appear from the description that plugging in via USB turns the iPod or iPhone into a storage device that the AV unit then loads files from into it's native music player.

This seems to suggest that no matter what you try to use, you will not get control or anything but a blank screen when streaming it as it will all have to plug in via the Aux (even if you don't go BT).

The limitation is really how do you get the audio into the AV unit..I'm sure it has no HDMI ports on it,
And any Audio Breakout you use is going to connect to an Aux port.

This unit you have appears to be just a generation before mobile data in the car was expected....
23rd June 2014, 07:16 AM   |  #7  
Flag Acireale, Sicily
Thanks Meter: 121

471 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuri_2k

1. Can I use ChromeCast or EzCast in my car without being connected to a wireless hotspot or network? Being a car setup, I wont have a hotspot in my car, unless a LTE/4G Dongle, which I don't intend to.

- Will they work by just directly from my Mobile to the Cast dongle?

Contrary to what has been said, this can be done, or say at least I did it and I am waiting for someone to reproduce my results and confirm.
You can stream from your phone directly to your chromecast, provided you activated the mobile WiFi hotspot of same phone (no need for an external router).

Read http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791313

Please report your results.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread