Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 45,777 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

turn old device into Chromecast

Tip us?

irish-sid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
Default turn old device into Chromecast

I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.

r-l
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.
You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.
Phone: Sony Xperia T, Rom: Ultimate PureXT v4.3 (Android 4.3). Kernel: Doom
Tablet: Nexus 7 (32gb), Rom: Purity (Android 4.4.2). Kernel: Franco
Chromecast & Samsung SmartTV
Android TV Stick: MK808b, Rom: Finless 2.1 stripped down & tweaked (Android 4.2.2)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S, Rom: Cyanogenmod 10.1 Nightly (Android 4.2.2), Kernel: stock cm10.1
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Rom: Cyanogenmod 10.1 Nightly (Android 4.2.2)) , Kernel: stock cm10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

irish-sid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l View Post
You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.
Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?

r-l
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?
Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore
Android TV Stick: MK808b, Rom: Finless 2.1 stripped down & tweaked (Android 4.2.2)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S, Rom: Cyanogenmod 10.1 Nightly (Android 4.2.2), Kernel: stock cm10.1
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1), Rom: Cyanogenmod 10.1 Nightly (Android 4.2.2)) , Kernel: stock cm10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

irish-sid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore
Well thanks for the help. I'll test it out.

vinaaa
Old
Thanks Meter 28

DONATE TO ME
The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012

r-l
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaaa View Post
The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012
If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 824

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped
Yes, AFAIK the Cast SDK 2.0 release had some device-specific key/identifier requirement that sunk the software emulators.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'