NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

turn old device into Chromecast

OP irish-sid

8th July 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 181

628 posts
I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.
8th July 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #2  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 310

1,358 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.

You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

628 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.

Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?
8th July 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rotterdam

1,358 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?

Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2014, 06:43 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

628 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore

Well thanks for the help. I'll test it out.
8th July 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #6  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 28

75 posts
Donate to Me
More
The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012
9th July 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #7  
Flag Rotterdam

1,358 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaaa

The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012

If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped
9th July 2014, 07:59 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped

Yes, AFAIK the Cast SDK 2.0 release had some device-specific key/identifier requirement that sunk the software emulators.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread