Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

turn old device into Chromecast

8th July 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 181

624 posts
I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.
8th July 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #2  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 289

1,238 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.

You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

624 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.

Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?
8th July 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rotterdam

1,238 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?

Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

624 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore

Well thanks for the help. I'll test it out.
8th July 2014, 05:57 PM   |  #6  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 28

70 posts
Donate to Me
More
The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012
9th July 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #7  
Flag Rotterdam

1,238 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaaa

The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012

If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped
9th July 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 855

2,199 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped

Yes, AFAIK the Cast SDK 2.0 release had some device-specific key/identifier requirement that sunk the software emulators.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread