FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy Alpha (SM-G850) Gets Android 5.0

An Android 5.0 Lollipop update is finally available to download for the Samsung Galaxy … more

Do You Use 4:3 or 16:9 in the Camera App?

Every person has their own method of taking the best photos on their devices, but which aspect … more

LG G4 XDA Forum Opened

LG’s latest & greatest is just a few hours away from launching, and with so many power users that are … more

Android Wear Close to Running on Samsung Gear 2

Android is an OS that can sometimes be ported to run on devices not designed to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

turn old device into Chromecast

8th July 2014, 05:10 PM |#1  
irish-sid's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.
 
 
8th July 2014, 05:14 PM |#2  
r-l's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 376
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

I have a note 2 with a cracked screen that's too expensive to fix at the mo and was wondering if there's a way to turn it into a Chromecast for my kitchen TV?
I will order a HDMI dongle if it's possible. I'd like it to have Chromecast functionality rather than manually using the device to select stuff.

You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2014, 05:16 PM |#3  
irish-sid's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

You can turn it in to a dlna device using bubbleupnp. Install it on the note and on the device your gonna stream from.

It's not the same as chromecast (cast function in apps won't work). But you can stream movies, music, SoundCloud and youtube with it.

Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?
8th July 2014, 05:34 PM |#4  
r-l's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 376
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish-sid

Cool. Does it all render on the device I'm steaming from or does it pluck it from online like the Chromecast?

Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore
The Following User Says Thank You to r-l For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2014, 05:43 PM |#5  
irish-sid's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

Both, i got an old android tvstick with bubbleupnp installed in my bedroom and i stream stuff from my server, tablet and showbox (last one is a internet stream).

You need to choose a external video player in bubbleupnp on your note to watch movies. I use Archos video player and the free codecpack in the playstore

Well thanks for the help. I'll test it out.
8th July 2014, 05:57 PM |#6  
vinaaa's Avatar
Member
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 28
 
Donate to Me
More
The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012
9th July 2014, 12:21 AM |#7  
r-l's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 376
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaaa

The result from a simple search on google.com "turn old Android into chromecast"

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-an...ree-1131227012

If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped
9th July 2014, 06:59 AM |#8  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 934
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l

If i'm correct cheapcast doesn't work anymore and development has stopped

Yes, AFAIK the Cast SDK 2.0 release had some device-specific key/identifier requirement that sunk the software emulators.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Google Chromecast by ThreadRank