FORUMS

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

Difference in Chromecast versions across countries?

Thanks Meter: 9
 
By Elador, Member on 22nd June 2014, 02:01 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
There seem to be different versions of Chromecast, depending on the country, e.g.
Amazon.co.uk: GA3A00030A23
Amazon.de: GA3A00032A07

Does it make any difference which version I am going to buy?

Obviously, depending on in which country I will plug the Chromecast in, the available services will be different (e.g. outside of the UK, there will be no iPlayer, etc.).
But my question is about the different models, if that makes any difference, e.g. regarding language, rooting-ability, access to services, etc, whatever differences there could be!
 
 
22nd June 2014, 12:30 PM |#2  
fkrone's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag near Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 376
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elador

There seem to be different versions of Chromecast, depending on the country, e.g.
Amazon.co.uk: GA3A00030A23
Amazon.de: GA3A00032A07

Does it make any difference which version I am going to buy?

Obviously, depending on in which country I will plug the Chromecast in, the available services will be different (e.g. outside of the UK, there will be no iPlayer, etc.).
But my question is about the different models, if that makes any difference, e.g. regarding language, rooting-ability, access to services, etc, whatever differences there could be!

As far as I know only the power adapter makes the difference. The Chromecast determines his location based on IP. And all european models can't be rooted at the moment. Furthermore all current US models can't be rooted either (only if you get an old model with a rootable bootloader).
The Following User Says Thank You to fkrone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 02:59 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrone

As far as I know only the power adapter makes the difference. The Chromecast determines his location based on IP. And all european models can't be rooted at the moment. Furthermore all current US models can't be rooted either (only if you get an old model with a rootable bootloader).

Thank you. So, I shouldn't hesitate buying the German model? (I could get it cheaper)
It is for use outside of Germany, and I don't want any of the German stuff on it, they have very restrictive copyright/GEMA rules and I don't want the German UI. So I don't want to potentially cripple my Chromecast.
22nd June 2014, 04:03 PM |#4  
fkrone's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag near Stuttgart
Thanks Meter: 376
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elador

Thank you. So, I shouldn't hesitate buying the German model? (I could get it cheaper)
It is for use outside of Germany, and I don't want any of the German stuff on it, they have very restrictive copyright/GEMA rules and I don't want the German UI. So I don't want to potentially cripple my Chromecast.

You won't have any of the German crap (and I say this as a German ...) on it. YouTube restrictions and other restrictions are based on IP location. So if you use it outsite of Germany you won't have any of the restrictions.
The UI language is also based on current location of the Chromecast.
The Following User Says Thank You to fkrone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 05:05 PM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrone

You won't have any of the German crap (and I say this as a German ...) on it. YouTube restrictions and other restrictions are based on IP location. So if you use it outsite of Germany you won't have any of the restrictions.
The UI language is also based on current location of the Chromecast.

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I wanted to know.
23rd June 2014, 10:20 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
h ttps://ch rom eshop.w uaki .tv/uk/che ckout/inde x.ht ml

may save you some money
The Following User Says Thank You to nij999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2014, 03:27 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nij999

h ttps://ch rom eshop.w uaki .tv/uk/che ckout/inde x.ht ml

may save you some money

Wow that's actually a great offer! However it's already too late for me now. But I had an amazon voucher I wanted to use for it anyway!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes