Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,466 Members 50,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Blocking Chromecast Update and Capability

Tip us?
 
mumbles202
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 229
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Blocking Chromecast Update and Capability

Wondering what the capability of the stock uniit is if you don't root but dont upgrade the firmware either. Figure it would be easy enough to setup separate SSID for a network w/o internet access, or block the Chromecast mac address on router so that it can't get out to the internet so wanted to know if I could use that as way and still cast to it from a tablet or computer?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app
 
rans0m00
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 341
Join Date: Oct 2012
Give it a shot. From the computer to the chromecast it should be possible. Doubtful from the tablet.

Why not just root it? If yours is not rootable return it and buy one that is.... If the store doesn't have any that are you can buy a rootable one on eBay for 5 or 10 more than one from the store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
bhiga
Old
#3  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849
Posts: 2,193
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles202 View Post
Wondering what the capability of the stock uniit is if you don't root but dont upgrade the firmware either. Figure it would be easy enough to setup separate SSID for a network w/o internet access, or block the Chromecast mac address on router so that it can't get out to the internet so wanted to know if I could use that as way and still cast to it from a tablet or computer?
Without Internet connection it won't be able to query Google's whitelist so I doubt anything will work.
I agree with rans0m00 - just root it.
But if you really have no interest in root, I recommend trading with someone who wants a rootable unit.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
 
mumbles202
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 229
Join Date: Jan 2012
Plan to root it down the road, just no powered usb-otg dongle so trying to fund alternative til then.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
 
bhiga
Old
#5  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849
Posts: 2,193
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles202 View Post
Plan to root it down the road, just no powered usb-otg dongle so trying to fund alternative til then.
I see. If you have a standard OTG and extra USB cables/parts you can probably find a way to inject power.

Just remember that the OTG has to be between the Chromecast and the rest of the stuff.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
 
rans0m00
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 341
Join Date: Oct 2012
I did it with a standard otg dongle and a powered USB hub. Plugged the USB stick into any of the ports and the cord that usually would go to the computer I just put the otg dongle on the end of the USB cord that is usually attached to the computer. Left the hub unpowered until it was time to connect it and everything worked like it should. Flashed 3 this way without issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
SomeGuy2008
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 24
Join Date: Aug 2008
So I have a brand new cc serial C3 or maybe 3C cant remember but I just got it the other day. I ordered a Teensy++ and a USB OTG adapter which should be here in about a week or so. But was wanting to use my CC in the meantime but am worried google might push out an update before I get it rooted. In the meantime its unplugged and sitting in the box. That all being said would it be possible to block the DNS name or IP on my router (which I can do if I know the IP or hostname im guessing its 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?) that the CC connects to when it checks for updates but still allow basic functionality? I live in the US. When I get the rest of my rooting hardware I plan on rooting my CC so that I dont have to worry about google updating my CC.

~SG
 
Asphyx
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 295
Posts: 1,779
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy2008 View Post
So I have a brand new cc serial C3 or maybe 3C cant remember but I just got it the other day. I ordered a Teensy++ and a USB OTG adapter which should be here in about a week or so. But was wanting to use my CC in the meantime but am worried google might push out an update before I get it rooted. In the meantime its unplugged and sitting in the box. That all being said would it be possible to block the DNS name or IP on my router (which I can do if I know the IP or hostname im guessing its 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?) that the CC connects to when it checks for updates but still allow basic functionality? I live in the US. When I get the rest of my rooting hardware I plan on rooting my CC so that I dont have to worry about google updating my CC.

~SG
it really comes down to this...
If you block whatever is needed to prevent OTA you also block everything the CCast needs to actually work.

So no you can't really accomplish this by blocking a site.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SomeGuy2008
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 24
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
it really comes down to this...
If you block whatever is needed to prevent OTA you also block everything the CCast needs to actually work.

So no you can't really accomplish this by blocking a site.
Fair enough. I will just play it safe and wait until I get my Teensy. Patience is a virtue.

~SG
 
Asphyx
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 295
Posts: 1,779
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy2008 View Post
Fair enough. I will just play it safe and wait until I get my Teensy. Patience is a virtue.

~SG
They are pretty quick with the shipping a PJRC. I got mine in less than 3 days. That is if you are in the US...

If you really need to use it just plug it in for that use and then quickly unplug it.

Yes you take a risk of Google sneaking a patch in but considering the cost of a NIB unit it's really only a $35 risk in the end.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes