Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 41,407 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for alternative root methods...

Tip us?

MWisBest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,877

DONATE TO ME
Default Looking for alternative root methods...

I'd LOVE to get my Chromecast rooted and do some development work on it, maybe even make my own ROM for it or something. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy something (the Teensy 2) just to root it. College has me on a tight budget, and I'm not even going to some expensive 4-year school, just a technical (2-year, pretty cheap) college!

My Chromecast is a developer unit, and I was wondering if it might be possible to exploit it that way... anybody ever looked into this?
VZW Galaxy Nexus (Current): FML-4.4.4
Kindle Fire HD 7" (Current): FML-4.4.4
LG Vortex (x2) (Retired): CM-9.0

FML (Fork My Life): VZW Galaxy Nexus (toro), GSM Galaxy Nexus (maguro)

theronkinator
Old
Thanks Meter 194

DONATE TO ME
A Teensy is only $16 and you can sell it off afterwards. If there was another method they wouldn't have spent a year coming up with a hardware solution.
HP Touchpad - jcsullins' CM10.1
Xperia U - Bootloader unlocked - Ported Sony JB
Galaxy S3 - Stock 4.1.2 ROM - Rooted - Xposed
Checkout my easy HP Touchpad Android installer:
[TOOLKIT] Touchpad Toolkit - Android automated installer

-Mr. X-
Old
Thanks Meter 2,167

DONATE TO ME
Buy a teensy, root your root some friends to recoup your cost and possibly profit.
If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to Donate it's appreciated, but not required!

az1324
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It is fairly likely that the software can be ported to pretty much anything that the PS3 jailbreak was ported to, subject to minimum memory requirements. In fact, those open source projects will make it much easier as they have done basic groundwork. Otherwise, you can buy a 32u4 based arduino for ~$8 shipped from china and flip it on ebay for a profit after you've used it.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 847

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWisBest View Post
My Chromecast is a developer unit, and I was wondering if it might be possible to exploit it that way... anybody ever looked into this?
It's against the terms of the developer agreement, so once big G finds out, likely they will de-whitelist it.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

MWisBest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,877

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324 View Post
It is fairly likely that the software can be ported to pretty much anything that the PS3 jailbreak was ported to, subject to minimum memory requirements. In fact, those open source projects will make it much easier as they have done basic groundwork.
Now THIS is a great, constructive idea! I've already got at least one of those devices, a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
Plus, this wouldn't be something to worry about so much then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
It's against the terms of the developer agreement, so once big G finds out, likely they will de-whitelist it.
VZW Galaxy Nexus (Current): FML-4.4.4
Kindle Fire HD 7" (Current): FML-4.4.4
LG Vortex (x2) (Retired): CM-9.0

FML (Fork My Life): VZW Galaxy Nexus (toro), GSM Galaxy Nexus (maguro)

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 294
LOL I bought the Teensey 2++ just to root the CCast...

And you know what? I haven't used the CCast at all since I rooted it but I have spent HOURS playing with the Teensy! LOL

Just some of the other things a Teensy can do if you have one....

https://code.google.com/p/kautilya/