Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Looking for alternative root methods...

OP MWisBest

25th August 2014, 07:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Green Bay, WI
Thanks Meter: 4,001

786 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'd LOVE to get my Chromecast rooted and do some development work on it, maybe even make my own ROM for it or something. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy something (the Teensy 2) just to root it. College has me on a tight budget, and I'm not even going to some expensive 4-year school, just a technical (2-year, pretty cheap) college!

My Chromecast is a developer unit, and I was wondering if it might be possible to exploit it that way... anybody ever looked into this?
25th August 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #2  
A Teensy is only $16 and you can sell it off afterwards. If there was another method they wouldn't have spent a year coming up with a hardware solution.
25th August 2014, 11:31 PM   |  #3  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 2,169

1,674 posts
Donate to Me
More
Buy a teensy, root your root some friends to recoup your cost and possibly profit.
26th August 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
It is fairly likely that the software can be ported to pretty much anything that the PS3 jailbreak was ported to, subject to minimum memory requirements. In fact, those open source projects will make it much easier as they have done basic groundwork. Otherwise, you can buy a 32u4 based arduino for ~$8 shipped from china and flip it on ebay for a profit after you've used it.
27th August 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 883

2,248 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWisBest

My Chromecast is a developer unit, and I was wondering if it might be possible to exploit it that way... anybody ever looked into this?

It's against the terms of the developer agreement, so once big G finds out, likely they will de-whitelist it.
27th August 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Green Bay, WI
Thanks Meter: 4,001

786 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324

It is fairly likely that the software can be ported to pretty much anything that the PS3 jailbreak was ported to, subject to minimum memory requirements. In fact, those open source projects will make it much easier as they have done basic groundwork.

Now THIS is a great, constructive idea! I've already got at least one of those devices, a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
Plus, this wouldn't be something to worry about so much then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

It's against the terms of the developer agreement, so once big G finds out, likely they will de-whitelist it.

31st August 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,906 posts
LOL I bought the Teensey 2++ just to root the CCast...

And you know what? I haven't used the CCast at all since I rooted it but I have spent HOURS playing with the Teensy! LOL

Just some of the other things a Teensy can do if you have one....

https://code.google.com/p/kautilya/

The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread