FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Looking for alternative root methods...

875 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,203
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I'd LOVE to get my Chromecast rooted and do some development work on it, maybe even make my own ROM for it or something. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy something (the Teensy 2) just to root it. College has me on a tight budget, and I'm not even going to some expensive 4-year school, just a technical (2-year, pretty cheap) college!

My Chromecast is a developer unit, and I was wondering if it might be possible to exploit it that way... anybody ever looked into this?
 
 
25th August 2014, 10:05 PM |#2  
A Teensy is only $16 and you can sell it off afterwards. If there was another method they wouldn't have spent a year coming up with a hardware solution.
25th August 2014, 10:31 PM |#3  
-Mr. X-'s Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 2,362
 
Donate to Me
More
Buy a teensy, root your root some friends to recoup your cost and possibly profit.
25th August 2014, 11:17 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
It is fairly likely that the software can be ported to pretty much anything that the PS3 jailbreak was ported to, subject to minimum memory requirements. In fact, those open source projects will make it much easier as they have done basic groundwork. Otherwise, you can buy a 32u4 based arduino for ~$8 shipped from china and flip it on ebay for a profit after you've used it.
26th August 2014, 11:21 PM |#5  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 971
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWisBest

My Chromecast is a developer unit, and I was wondering if it might be possible to exploit it that way... anybody ever looked into this?

It's against the terms of the developer agreement, so once big G finds out, likely they will de-whitelist it.
27th August 2014, 01:50 AM |#6  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Green Bay, WI
Thanks Meter: 5,203
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1324

It is fairly likely that the software can be ported to pretty much anything that the PS3 jailbreak was ported to, subject to minimum memory requirements. In fact, those open source projects will make it much easier as they have done basic groundwork.

Now THIS is a great, constructive idea! I've already got at least one of those devices, a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.
Plus, this wouldn't be something to worry about so much then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

It's against the terms of the developer agreement, so once big G finds out, likely they will de-whitelist it.

31st August 2014, 08:17 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 346
 
More
LOL I bought the Teensey 2++ just to root the CCast...

And you know what? I haven't used the CCast at all since I rooted it but I have spent HOURS playing with the Teensy! LOL

Just some of the other things a Teensy can do if you have one....

https://code.google.com/p/kautilya/
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes