FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Mirroring to Chromecast without having to be connected to Wifi?

193 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By swc2001, Senior Member on 8th September 2014, 07:00 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I Just bought a Chromecast and am wondering is there a way to Mirror my Samsung galaxy s4 to Chromecast without having the Chromecast connected to a wifi source?
I know you can Mirror with the "Chromecast app" while the Chromecast is connected to a wifi source.
but that defeats the purpose to me. You see I only use my hotspot with my S4 and it will of course not allow you to use hotspot while using wifi obviously.
So I was wondering if I bought the "Allcast app" if that or something like that will allow me to Mirror with the Chromecast without having the Chromecast connected to a wifi source similar to DLNA?

Thanks so much in advance!!

P.S. If I put this thead in the wrong place I am very Sorry.
please just move it if necessary.

11th September 2014, 01:25 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 971

Donate to Me
More
No, Chromecast will do nothing without Internet. Because it gets the apps that it runs from the Internet...
Some folks have been able to get WiFi and hotspot working simultaneously, but I think that's largely dependent upon the ROM - and possibly luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th December 2014, 06:17 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Anyone know if I can mirror my Nexus 6 to my TV using Chromecast without WifI? I've gotten screen casting to work through wifi direct and a miracast dongle, but I can't get Netflix to work. I don't want to stream content, just mirror my device. So would Chromecast work for this function?
13th December 2014, 03:16 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 346

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4a

Anyone know if I can mirror my Nexus 6 to my TV using Chromecast without WifI? I've gotten screen casting to work through wifi direct and a miracast dongle, but I can't get Netflix to work. I don't want to stream content, just mirror my device. So would Chromecast work for this function?

You don't need to mirror Netflix if you have a Chromecast as it has Netflix support built in and all you do is send the content to the CCast via the mobile app and the CCast takes over without needing the mobile device anymore...
And the quality will be MUCH better than anything you would get by screen casting.

But you will need internet access fr the CCast...It does nothing but boot up without one.
13th December 2014, 04:31 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

You don't need to mirror Netflix if you have a Chromecast as it has Netflix support built in and all you do is send the content to the CCast via the mobile app and the CCast takes over without needing the mobile device anymore...
And the quality will be MUCH better than anything you would get by screen casting.

But you will need internet access fr the CCast...It does nothing but boot up without one.

Thanks. Ideally I want to mirror Netflix from my Nexus 6 to my TV, not stream to Chromecast. Still working on it though.
14th December 2014, 06:42 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4a

Thanks. Ideally I want to mirror Netflix from my Nexus 6 to my TV, not stream to Chromecast. Still working on it though.

CCast won't work without Internet PERIOD!
Sure you could mirror your device but you still need Internet.
And there is no way to get to your TV without some device, a SmartTV with DLNA support (no go for Netflix), or a Chromecast with Internet.

And if you have a smart TV chances are likely you can get the netflix app and get rid of the Mobile device altogether....

Even if you could mirror Netflix will NEVER allow you to because it protects it's screen from being copied and even if they didn't do that the quality would be so horrible compared to a Smart TV app, Chromecast streaming or HDMI cable!
15th December 2014, 02:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
OP:

I was in the same boat as you, then I realized that I had an old razr laying around. So I turned on tethering with my note 3, then setup the chromecast via the razr. I can now cast and mirror my screen on the note 3.

Just have to keep the razr connected to my hotspot.
The Following User Says Thank You to brex91 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th December 2014, 05:20 PM |#8  

More
You know there is a thread here someplace where someone go tethering and CCast control working on the same device...
Might be worth a search.
2nd July 2015, 05:29 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brex91

OP:

I was in the same boat as you, then I realized that I had an old razr laying around. So I turned on tethering with my note 3, then setup the chromecast via the razr. I can now cast and mirror my screen on the note 3.

Just have to keep the razr connected to my hotspot.

Brex need a bit of clarification. Note 3 has carrier data. Razr does NOT have carrier data. Chromecast not connected to internet.

You turn on the Note 3 hotspot - Connect the Razr to the Note 3 hotspot. Open the Chromecast App on the Razr to connect to the Chromecast. Activate Cast Screen on the Note 3 - now can cast the Note 3 screen to the Chromecast. Is this correct?

Thanks in Advance - DJC
2nd July 2015, 08:33 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I have since sold my chromecast, but you are essentially right, but once set up, I did not have to do anything with the razr, i just keep it on and plugged in behind my tv.

Of course I have unlimited data, so that didn't bother me, if you are on a tiered plan, this might not be a good solution for you.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

yes, n3 has data, using carrier data, but not using any wifi, just mobile hotspot via n3.
4th July 2015, 06:50 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swc2001

I Just bought a Chromecast and am wondering is there a way to Mirror my Samsung galaxy s4 to Chromecast without having the Chromecast connected to a wifi source?
I know you can Mirror with the "Chromecast app" while the Chromecast is connected to a wifi source.
but that defeats the purpose to me. You see I only use my hotspot with my S4 and it will of course not allow you to use hotspot while using wifi obviously.
So I was wondering if I bought the "Allcast app" if that or something like that will allow me to Mirror with the Chromecast without having the Chromecast connected to a wifi source similar to DLNA?

Thanks so much in advance!!

P.S. If I put this thead in the wrong place I am very Sorry.
please just move it if necessary.

I used a Sony BDPS2200 Blu-Ray player to screen mirror Netflix from my S4 to BR/TV using T-Mobile unlimited data plan. I recently thought I could continue to do so with my Nexus 6 (S4 shot craps), but only to find out not only do I need a Chromecast, but also need cable/WiFi (found that out after buying a CCast). Cannot use phone unlimited data now. Google suckered me. Contemplating going back to Samsung.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

CCast won't work without Internet PERIOD!
Sure you could mirror your device but you still need Internet.
And there is no way to get to your TV without some device, a SmartTV with DLNA support (no go for Netflix), or a Chromecast with Internet.

And if you have a smart TV chances are likely you can get the netflix app and get rid of the Mobile device altogether....

Even if you could mirror Netflix will NEVER allow you to because it protects it's screen from being copied and even if they didn't do that the quality would be so horrible compared to a Smart TV app, Chromecast streaming or HDMI cable!

I used a Sony BDPS2200 Blu-Ray player to screen mirror Netflix (Netflix did not block) from my S4 to BR/TV using T-Mobile unlimited data plan. I recently thought I could continue to do so with my Nexus 6 (S4 shot craps), but only to find out not only do I need a Chromecast, but also need cable/WiFi (found that out after buying a CCast). Cannot use phone unlimited data now. Google suckered me. Contemplating going back to Samsung.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread