Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,671 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why doesn’t chromecast output audio through TV's external speakers ?

Tip us?

PhoenixFx
Old
(Last edited by PhoenixFx; 29th June 2014 at 09:45 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Default [Q] Why doesn’t chromecast output audio through TV's external speakers ?

Here is my set-up:
  • A Vivo LTV42FHDN 42” Full HD TV (2x HDMI inputs, 1x RCA stereo audio output, few other audio and video input connectors, and a set of really crappy built-in speakers)
  • A Logitech 2.1 Speaker system connected to TV's RCA audio output
  • An old DELL XPS M1330 notebook running Windows 7 hooked up to the TV via one HDMI port
  • A new Chromecast I’m trying to setup connected to the other HDMI port.

When I watch TV and switch to the HDMI input of the PC I get audio through both the TV’s crappy built in speakers as well as the much better sounding Logitech Speakers. However, when I switch to the Chromecast I only hear audio through TV’s built-in speakers. I have connected other PCs and tablets through HDMI before and from what I recall, sound always came out external speakers.

Is there any reason for the PC and Chromecast to behave differently when connected via HDMI ? I tried both HDMI ports, went through TV's audio settings (which only has very few settings like bass, treble, and some sound profiles), but couldn't get the chromecast to output audio through external speakers.

Does this mean Chromecast doesn’t support somesort of an HDMI specification/standard my old PC does, therefore the TV can't split and reroute the audio ? Is there any way to get around this without buying new hardware ? Other than audio, rest of it works great ! For me spending $50 or so extra on additional hardware really defeats the purpose of buying a Chromecast, because for that price I could've bought a DLNA enabled media player.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

peca89
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I'm not sure about your LG, but my Sony correctly re-routes audio from Chromecast to SPDIF (optical) output connected to AVR, so the Chromecast isn't a problem. I'm not sure about analog RCA output though.

Just go through your TV settings again. There must be an option burried somewhere in menus.

PhoenixFx
Old
(Last edited by PhoenixFx; 29th June 2014 at 11:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by peca89 View Post
I'm not sure about your LG, but my Sony correctly re-routes audio from Chromecast to SPDIF (optical) output connected to AVR, so the Chromecast isn't a problem. I'm not sure about analog RCA output though.

Just go through your TV settings again. There must be an option burried somewhere in menus.
Thanks for your reply, I did go through all the settings on the TV and even read the manual. But couldn't find anything there. Its not a very high-end TV, hence no optical output, all I have is that stereo analogue output.

Few minutes after posting I again connected my new notebook, and a Windows 8 tablet, audio works fine with all of them. But the Chromecast just doesn't work the same way. When I tested I connected all devices to the same HDMI port and didn't change anything on the TV, all I did was plug one in > test > unplug > plug the next one in > test etc.. that's all.. the fact that everything but the Chromecast work has to mean there is something different in Chromecast's HDMI signal.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 847

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFx View Post
Thanks for your reply, I did go through all the settings on the TV and even read the manual. But couldn't find anything there. Its not a very high-end TV, hence no optical output, all I have is that stereo analogue output.

Few minutes after posting I again connected my new notebook, and a Windows 8 tablet, audio works fine with all of them. But the Chromecast just doesn't work the same way. When I tested I connected all devices to the same HDMI port and didn't change anything on the TV, all I did was plug one in > test > unplug > plug the next one in > test etc.. that's all.. the fact that everything but the Chromecast work has to mean there is something different in Chromecast's HDMI signal.
Try switching the audio output in whatever application you're casting from to Stereo.

If Chromecast is sending multichannel audio, your TV might be smart enough to decode and play it on its speakers, but not smart enough to downmix to the analog output.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'