Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,662 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Purchased chromecast but few questions.

Tip us?

Pixelhouse
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Purchased chromecast but few questions.

I just purchased my chromecast but i still have some questions.
I saw that a new update in a few weeks will have the full screen casting wich is why i just bought the device to cast everything my device shows.

I currently have a rooted galaxy s4, i see alot of questions about rooting the chromecast however are there any apps for a rooted galaxy s4 to have more benefits from the chromecast? Also does the usb port for power source always have to be plugged in or does it come with some sort of battery?

Thanks in advance guys.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 825

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelhouse View Post
I currently have a rooted galaxy s4, i see alot of questions about rooting the chromecast however are there any apps for a rooted galaxy s4 to have more benefits from the chromecast? Also does the usb port for power source always have to be plugged in or does it come with some sort of battery?
Can't really think of any benefit to a rooted device driving Chromecast as opposed to a non-rooted one. In some cases, a rooted device may have fewer options because some video apps don't like root. CinemaNow is an example, though it doesn't have Chromecast support (wish it did), and you can get around that using something like Root Cloak, though that has some drawbacks too.

As for power, Chromecast requires power - it has no battery, and because Chromecast automatically updates and it's never a good idea to lose power during a flash process, I recommend using wall power over a switched USB port (like most TV USB ports). But that's just my personal opinion - lots of people use TV switched USB ports just fine.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 825

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
FWIW, you can still use most of those apps if you use xposed+RootCloak.
I'm using Cydia Substrate with Root Cloak Plus.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Pixelhouse
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Can't really think of any benefit to a rooted device driving Chromecast as opposed to a non-rooted one. In some cases, a rooted device may have fewer options because some video apps don't like root. CinemaNow is an example, though it doesn't have Chromecast support (wish it did), and you can get around that using something like Root Cloak, though that has some drawbacks too.

As for power, Chromecast requires power - it has no battery, and because Chromecast automatically updates and it's never a good idea to lose power during a flash process, I recommend using wall power over a switched USB port (like most TV USB ports). But that's just my personal opinion - lots of people use TV switched USB ports just fine.
Alright thank you for the info and the advice!

I thought perhaps by having a root you would have more options like castingthat don't have the cast function by default,
or send your entire screen to your chromecast.

mdamaged
Old
Thanks Meter 913

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
I'm using Cydia Substrate with Root Cloak Plus.
Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun with the reply, did not see you mentioned it, had it cleaned, replying now so you don't look like a nut.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 825

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelhouse View Post
Alright thank you for the info and the advice!

I thought perhaps by having a root you would have more options like castingthat don't have the cast function by default,
or send your entire screen to your chromecast.
Actually you have a point there... Koush's mirror app at least at first release, did require root. Also, mirror4cast requires root as well, so you are correct that root does give you some additional options.

The basic functionality, is mainly built into the Google Play Services (and for native screen mirroring it seems partly in the kernel), and that's not affected by root.