TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Purchased chromecast but few questions.

OP Pixelhouse

1st July 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
I just purchased my chromecast but i still have some questions.
I saw that a new update in a few weeks will have the full screen casting wich is why i just bought the device to cast everything my device shows.

I currently have a rooted galaxy s4, i see alot of questions about rooting the chromecast however are there any apps for a rooted galaxy s4 to have more benefits from the chromecast? Also does the usb port for power source always have to be plugged in or does it come with some sort of battery?

Thanks in advance guys.
1st July 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #2  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882
 
2,248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelhouse

I currently have a rooted galaxy s4, i see alot of questions about rooting the chromecast however are there any apps for a rooted galaxy s4 to have more benefits from the chromecast? Also does the usb port for power source always have to be plugged in or does it come with some sort of battery?

Can't really think of any benefit to a rooted device driving Chromecast as opposed to a non-rooted one. In some cases, a rooted device may have fewer options because some video apps don't like root. CinemaNow is an example, though it doesn't have Chromecast support (wish it did), and you can get around that using something like Root Cloak, though that has some drawbacks too.

As for power, Chromecast requires power - it has no battery, and because Chromecast automatically updates and it's never a good idea to lose power during a flash process, I recommend using wall power over a switched USB port (like most TV USB ports). But that's just my personal opinion - lots of people use TV switched USB ports just fine.
2nd July 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #3  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882
 
2,248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged

FWIW, you can still use most of those apps if you use xposed+RootCloak.

I'm using Cydia Substrate with Root Cloak Plus.
2nd July 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Can't really think of any benefit to a rooted device driving Chromecast as opposed to a non-rooted one. In some cases, a rooted device may have fewer options because some video apps don't like root. CinemaNow is an example, though it doesn't have Chromecast support (wish it did), and you can get around that using something like Root Cloak, though that has some drawbacks too.

As for power, Chromecast requires power - it has no battery, and because Chromecast automatically updates and it's never a good idea to lose power during a flash process, I recommend using wall power over a switched USB port (like most TV USB ports). But that's just my personal opinion - lots of people use TV switched USB ports just fine.

Alright thank you for the info and the advice!

I thought perhaps by having a root you would have more options like castingthat don't have the cast function by default,
or send your entire screen to your chromecast.
2nd July 2014, 12:13 AM   |  #5  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,077
 
1,676 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

I'm using Cydia Substrate with Root Cloak Plus.

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun with the reply, did not see you mentioned it, had it cleaned, replying now so you don't look like a nut.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2014, 12:25 AM   |  #6  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882
 
2,248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelhouse

Alright thank you for the info and the advice!

I thought perhaps by having a root you would have more options like castingthat don't have the cast function by default,
or send your entire screen to your chromecast.

Actually you have a point there... Koush's mirror app at least at first release, did require root. Also, mirror4cast requires root as well, so you are correct that root does give you some additional options.

The basic functionality, is mainly built into the Google Play Services (and for native screen mirroring it seems partly in the kernel), and that's not affected by root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes