FORUMS

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

[ROOT] HubCap Chromecast Root Release!

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 305

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
21st July 2015, 07:34 PM |#971  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hi!

Does anybody know how to reset the Teensy 2 (Arduino Pro Micro) to its default bootloader/firmware?!
I'd like to start some experiments with this Arduino Pro Micro board but it seems that I cannot longer use it as Pro Micro within the Arduino IDE.

26th July 2015, 03:00 AM |#972  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 186

More
I know I am going to go a bit off-topic and I apologize in advance.

Is there anyone in Europe (better if in Italy), that has a cheap used Teensy2 that no longer needs?

I would love to root my chromecast but I really can't afford buying the OTG Cable + the Teensy2 + shipping for both as it would turns out to be over 50 euros.

Unfortunately I have lost my job a year ago due to a highly invalidating sickness. 50 euros is a huge amount for me at the moment. I have always had the desire to have a rooted chromecast. My ISP eventually gave me a free chromecast, but to my deepest sadness I have found out it runs on fw 15098, which requires me to buy a Teensy2 in order. tobe able to root it.

Thanks and I apologize for hijacking the thread.
Last edited by Segnale007; 26th July 2015 at 03:03 AM.
26th July 2015, 05:57 PM |#973  
Flag Cologne

More
Hi!

You don't need to buy an expensive Teensy board. Just search at eBay for something like "ATmega32U4 5V 16MHz".
I bought mine for 5,50 (incl. shipping from China!!). The same with the "OTG Y-Cable".

If you can wait for two or three weeks, the Chinese are your best friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segnale007

Is there anyone in Europe (better if in Italy), that has a cheap used Teensy2 that no longer needs?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ikarisan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2015, 06:00 PM |#974  
Flag London

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarisan

Hi!

You don't need to buy an expensive Teensy board. Just search at eBay for something like "ATmega32U4 5V 16MHz".
I bought mine for 5,50 (incl. shipping from China!!). The same with the "OTG Y-Cable".

If you can wait for two or three weeks, the Chinese are your best friends.

That would be wonderful mate. I was about to go activate my Chromecast.

Could you kindly point me out to the exact model you bought?

And as far as the rooting procedure is concerned, will it be the same or will I need different tools?

Thanks
26th July 2015, 07:02 PM |#975  
Flag Cologne

More
Hi!

I bought this one: Mini-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-5V-16MHz-Replace-Mini-ATmega328.

For an instruction you must search this threads (Or this one: Eureka-ROM. Or this: FlashCast). I can't remember how I did it but is was very easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ikarisan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2015, 10:29 PM |#976  
Flag London

More
@elborak I do apologize for calling you in, but I am quite confused about the files I will need to use in order to flash my chromecast fw 15098 with a PRO MICRO ATMEGA32U4 16Mhz 5V .

I have read through this thread but like I said I am confused because I have read people using different programmers with different hex files.

Thanks
29th July 2015, 09:43 AM |#977  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
how to make sure rooting has worked ok
Hello everybody,

I must admit that I am totally new to all this chromecast hacking stuff, so please bear with me if this question is a bit stupid:

How can I make sure that the rooting process has succeeded?

I followed the description to the point and now the chromecast tells me to start the setup app on a smartphone or tablet to configure it.

Can I do so or will this render the chromecast unrootable by applying the latest update?

I also tried to verify if the chromecast has been successfully rooted (as described on makeuseof.com) and am getting the Eureka ROM console with menus for settings, status, debugging and whatever.

Judging by this I'd say the rooting was successful but I'm still unsure if configuring the chromecast with the android setup app will do any harm or not.

So should I allow setup to configure it and, if so, are there any precautions I should take to avoid un-rooting the device at the very latest step, so to say?

EDIT: obviously this question was not interesting enough to warrant an answer. Sorry for bothering you.
Last edited by Knuffolino; Yesterday at 06:49 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread