No registration required

Rooting beenfits

OP fs1023

28th August 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

157 posts
Hi all

Think it would be about 25-30 to get all the kit to root the Chromecast, which then will most probably not be used again. Can anyone please explain the benefits of rooting? Such as what the rooted ROM's will give me over official firmware. For example am I able to run XBMC from it?

I have most probably been lucky in the past because it has cost nowt to root my smartphones, tablets etc?

I am all for rooting Chromecast but not sure of the benefits.

Regards
fs1023
28th August 2014, 09:04 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,896 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs1023

Hi all

Think it would be about 25-30 to get all the kit to root the Chromecast, which then will most probably not be used again. Can anyone please explain the benefits of rooting? Such as what the rooted ROM's will give me over official firmware. For example am I able to run XBMC from it?

I have most probably been lucky in the past because it has cost nowt to root my smartphones, tablets etc?

I am all for rooting Chromecast but not sure of the benefits.

Regards
fs1023

No it won't let you run XBMC....

Two most noteworthy benefits to root...One may actually be something you might like.

1 - You get to use the Eureka Whitelist which can allow some apps to work earlier than they they would because Google has delayed whitelisting it. (Screen Mirroring was available to rooted users even before Google announced it because rooted users had it whitelisted while Google waiting until Google IO) What those Apps are varies as they are released and as Google adds them to their list so a comprehensive list is not really possibe.

2 - (And the one that might interest you most since you appear to be in the UK)...Rooted makes it much easier to use VPNs and custom DNS settings so you can access region blocked content without the need for complex settings changes on your router which can sometimes affect other services. As time goes on this may be the most used feature for those not in the US and want to access full content from Netflix and Hulu. or even those in the US who would like access to content that is blacked out in the US and only available in Europe.

In time as more people are able to get root you might find some more developers willing to create apps that take advantage of the rooted CCast but there are Millions of units sold and I'm not sure but I'm betting less than 100K actually have achieved root in the initial hack and perhaps now many more will be able to boost those numbers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #3  
Is that 25-30 including the Chromecast price. Because if you have a memory stick already, the teensy and usb otg Y cable is about 10.
29th August 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

157 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

No it won't let you run XBMC....

Two most noteworthy benefits to root...One may actually be something you might like.

1 - You get to use the Eureka Whitelist which can allow some apps to work earlier than they they would because Google has delayed whitelisting it. (Screen Mirroring was available to rooted users even before Google announced it because rooted users had it whitelisted while Google waiting until Google IO) What those Apps are varies as they are released and as Google adds them to their list so a comprehensive list is not really possibe.

2 - (And the one that might interest you most since you appear to be in the UK)...Rooted makes it much easier to use VPNs and custom DNS settings so you can access region blocked content without the need for complex settings changes on your router which can sometimes affect other services. As time goes on this may be the most used feature for those not in the US and want to access full content from Netflix and Hulu. or even those in the US who would like access to content that is blacked out in the US and only available in Europe.

In time as more people are able to get root you might find some more developers willing to create apps that take advantage of the rooted CCast but there are Millions of units sold and I'm not sure but I'm betting less than 100K actually have achieved root in the initial hack and perhaps now many more will be able to boost those numbers.

Asphyx thanks for your knowledgeable reply, you have convinced me to root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theronkinator

Is that 25-30 including the Chromecast price. Because if you have a memory stick already, the teensy and usb otg Y cable is about 10.

theronkinator thanks as well for your reply. Looked at prices in OP and they seemed to be more that 10. Thanks anyway I will shop around.

Will this product do the same as the Teensy? A-Star 32U4 Micro
Last edited by fs1023; 29th August 2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: update
The Following User Says Thank You to fs1023 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

16 posts
More
Quote:

Will this product do the same as the Teensy? A-Star 32U4 Micro

I managed to root my four chromecasts using an A-Star 32U4 micro.

The LEDs don't light up at all during the process and there's no reset button so you have a short a couple of pins, but apart from that it works fine.

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to ClarkyCat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

157 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkyCat

I managed to root my four chromecasts using an A-Star 32U4 micro.

The LEDs don't light up at all during the process and there's no reset button so you have a short a couple of pins, but apart from that it works fine.

Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. No sure what you mean by " there's no reset button so you have a short a couple of pins". I have tried to put the teensy hex file on it but it does not work. Do I need to do this part of rooting? Can you please explain the process of how you rooted your 4 casts?

Regards
fs1023
2nd September 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #7  

16 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the reply Tim. No sure what you mean by " there's no reset button so you have a short a couple of pins". I have tried to put the teensy hex file on it but it does not work. Do I need to do this part of rooting? Can you please explain the process of how you rooted your 4 casts?

Regards
fs1023

You need to get the A-Star into bootloader mode in order to load in the HubCap teensy files (I used regular_16664.hex). There's no reset button on the board so you have to short the GND and RST pins twice within 750ms. The board LED kind of pulses when it's in bootloader mode.

Have a read of the docs here: http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J61/5.3

I programmed the board using:

Code:
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -c avr109 -P /dev/ttyACM0 -U flash:w:regular_16664.hex
Perform the root in exactly the same way as in the youtube vid. The only difference is that the LED on the A-Star doesn't flash in the same way as the teensy++ in the vid does. You just have to watch for the Chromecast LED colour change.

Cheers,
Tim
3rd September 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #8  

16 posts
More
Quote:

The only difference is that the LED on the A-Star doesn't flash in the same way as the teensy++ in the vid does. You just have to watch for the Chromecast LED colour change.

Actually, try the hex files I attached to my post on the HubCap thread.

I've rebuilt them with A-Star 32u4 LED support, so it blinks the same way as the teensy2++ does in the vid.

Tim
3rd September 2014, 10:45 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

157 posts
Quote:

You need to get the A-Star into bootloader mode in order to load in the HubCap teensy files (I used regular_16664.hex). There's no reset button on the board so you have to short the GND and RST pins twice within 750ms. The board LED kind of pulses when it's in bootloader mode.

Have a read of the docs here: http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J61/5.3

I programmed the board using:

Code:
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -c avr109 -P /dev/ttyACM0 -U flash:w:regular_16664.hex
Perform the root in exactly the same way as in the youtube vid. The only difference is that the LED on the A-Star doesn't flash in the same way as the teensy++ in the vid does. You just have to watch for the Chromecast LED colour change.

Cheers,
Tim

Once again thanks Tim your help is much appreciated.

Not really sure what I am doing here but I have installed the Winavr software. When I click on run I get dialogue box error message - Error loading "C:WinAVR-20100110/bin/avr-gcc.exe": not in executable format: File format not recognised.-

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Regards
fs1023
Last edited by fs1023; 3rd September 2014 at 10:47 AM.
3rd September 2014, 01:44 PM   |  #10  

16 posts
More
Quote:

Once again thanks Tim your help is much appreciated.

Not really sure what I am doing here but I have installed the Winavr software. When I click on run I get dialogue box error message - Error loading "C:WinAVR-20100110/bin/avr-gcc.exe": not in executable format: File format not recognised.-

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Regards
fs1023

I used linux, so I'm not sure about using winavr - is it supposed to provide some kind of cygwin-ish shell? Perhaps you need to run it with Admin privileges?

You'll need to change the -P parameter to whatever format windows needs. The user guide suggests "\\\\.\\USBSER000".

Tim

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread