Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Modern uses for that old Paralell/SCSI connector on my PC?

OP SwampFox56

19th August 2014, 05:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
After creating a custom BIOS (technically UEFI firmware, but I'll call it a BIOS) for my MSI Z87-G45 motherboard today - I flashed it and... I bricked my motherboard. Tough luck eh? Well fortunately, after panicking for several minutes, I found a guide online how to unbrick a mobo through a parallel connection.

I got pretty lucky, and that 30 year old parallel/scsi port on the back of my mobo (god knows why it's even there) actually came in handy today. In fact, it was a convenient... err... a convenient, inconvenience to have it there (as getting the motherboard to unbrick by using a PC from 2004 directly through Parallel --> Parallel was a journey in itself) but convenient in the fact that my computer is functioning again.

Anyways. I'm wondering if there's other uses for that port? specifically, using it to connect legacy hardware to my computer for actual use. Could it be used to interface with a 3 1/2" floppy disk drive? How about a 5.25' floppy drive? Also, I have an ancient harddrive that uses some form of SCSI (I believe). It's definitely not IDE, and obviously not SATA - could that be hooked up to it?

If not what are some uses for that old sucker? Being that I'm more of a legacy enthusiast - I'd love to hear some options.

Thanks everyone!
SwampFox
26th August 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #2  
Grass Valley
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
I've used mine as spare wire, and in rare cases it comes in handy. I hate to say it ,but I keep all my old cables in hopes that I can reuse them ...one day

Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread