[Discussion] [MODULAR] Smartphones _ ARA vs. NEXPAQ _ Which Technology Will Prevail?

Search This thread

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
Hi all,

Modular hardware like Google's "Project ARA"and other concepts
shall open up an entirely new chapter in history of "Mobile Computing" !

While google's own project for android will be device and OS locked, whle cross-OS & cross-device capabilities
are just 2 of many qualities which, each one of them, will eventually take other, similar technologies, beyond project ARA !
Should you have any qestions, don't hesitate to discuss it here, that's what this thread has been opened for after all. enjoy ! :fingers-crossed:

"NEXPAQ" Concept & Device Layouthttp://www.nexpaq.com
http://www.nexpaq.com

the%20real%20thing%201.png

modules%20available%20now.jpg

collection%20of%20parts.png

current%20colors%201.jpg

the%20real%20thing%202.jpeg

views%202.jpeg

"Project ARA" Device Layouthttp://www.projectara.com/

project%20ARA.jpg

As and android user don't feel offended by this picture hehe... :angel:
just think about how important the following will be for the millions who come to android from iOS LOL :p

cross-platform%20sample%201.png

Click Here To Watch Another Video On Facebook !

AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING…...

It's important that an open platform can be built !

So *you* can dream up module ideas and developers will make them a reality!

G+ Community

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
Very interesting.

from my Bacon-wrapped Lolli(Bliss)pop 5.1.1

yes, already dreaming about a tripple or more SIM highend phone haha.... just curious how they gonne deal with apple since apple does not allow apps in their playstore which allow for expanded memory ( external sd-card ) what i like the most is that as it seems this will hit the market long before google ara which swallowed hundreds of millions already and then it's hot-swap / hot-plug capable. i'll keep track of this very carefully because i smell something good :) glad you liked it however.

Reactions: Purerawenergy

t3al

Nov 14, 2014
localhost
How is this going to be better than Project ARA?

I will have to buy a phone and then buy the separate modular case to extend my phone's capabilities?
And the company will have to create a different case for every phone there is..
I hope this project works, but in my opinion it won't. The theory is impractical.
Why not buy a modular phone instead?

Reactions: magnamentis

jrbxx7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 18, 2011
Very cool. Gimme gimme. Lol thanks for the heads up!

TaPpEd FrOm My KiLlEr WhAlE

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com

I will have to buy a phone and then buy the separate modular case to extend my phone's capabilities?
I hope this project works, but in my opinion it won't. The theory is impractical.

that's an easy one:

a) ara phone will cost more than let's say a standard flaghips + nexpaq

b) you will be able to use the modules on your next phone again, including data on sdcard etc.

c) you will have a large choice of phones instead of a choice between one or two ara phones

d) you can change the OS, you can change the platform, you can change the brand and still get your preferred configuration and features

e) you will be able to hotplug without reboot

and much more and the fact that there will be a case per phone is not a disadvantage for the user, at least you have the choice which
otherwise or now you don't have, you can even get a cheaper phone mostly half the price with slightly weaker specs and make up for
it with modules while a module will cost between 14 and 20 bucks. example would be storage, but can be gpu, cpu, second sim, better camera
all much more expensive in highend phones than as a module. further you can take case and module off and still have the phone as is, so you never loose anything but gain what is wanted or needed.

thanks for the feedback, critical questions provide opportunities for answers and help to initiate the discussion :) :good:

Last edited:

igs.itec

Dec 18, 2013
G+ Community link added to the OP for those who prefer G+ to discuss nexpaq :)

thanks all for the many views in such a short time. wish everyone would comment his opionion, suggestions and doubts to start a bit of a more vivid discussion.

count me in :)

quite a while to wait for sales to start but will watch out :good:

cocorca

Oct 5, 2013
link added to the OP for those who prefer G+ to discuss nexpaq :)

thanks all for the many views in such a short time. wish everyone would comment his opionion, suggestions and doubts to start a bit of a more vivid discussion.

they just ended their kickstarter campaign with around 500% over the target, so chances are not bad that this is really is going ot happen, especially considering the video in the OP where it is obviously working quite well already, just wondering that people in this forum don't jump on this in masses, probably still a lot of mainstreamers with little foresight around LOL

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
hi all !

this page has seen over 2000 views but there has no significant discussion started on the topic.

let me know what keeps you from commenting, asking and suggesting? is it so well done that no open questions remain ( just kidding, not possible )
or is it too theoretical and/or far away, then watch the videos about ARA and about Nexpaq on the web. it's real and it's happening. be amongst the first who come op with wishes, doubts and hopes for this kind of technology, now it's the best time to take influence on basic decisions like available modules and/or devices, depending. brake it loose folks, now is the right time :) :highfive:

Reactions: jrbxx7

jrbxx7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 18, 2011
hi all !

this page has seen over 2000 views but there has no significant discussion started on the topic.

let me know what keeps you from commenting, asking and suggesting? is it so well done that no open questions remain ( just kidding, not possible )
or is it too theoretical and/or far away, then watch the videos about ARA and about Nexpaq on the web. it's real and it's happening. be amongst the first who come op with wishes, doubts and hopes for this kind of technology, now it's the best time to take influence on basic decisions like available modules and/or devices, depending. brake it loose folks, now is the right time :) :highfive:

Bought my first module. Can't wait till fall! Looking forward to what nexpaq will bring. Hopefully they release a nexus case!

TaPpEd FrOm My HeLlIsHlY eUpHoRic N-sIx

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
Bought my first module. Can't wait till fall! Looking forward to what nexpaq will bring. Hopefully they release a nexus case!

TaPpEd FrOm My HeLlIsHlY eUpHoRic N-sIx

there is a possibility to vote for devices. it's clear that they have to go with mainstream (big numbers) devices first as a startup, but as far as i've been reading they care a lot to bring the case for devices of users which show their interest. even the oneplus will receive a case, albeit the number of devices worldwide is around the 1 mio mark only. you know i made up the theory of modular computing about 10 years ago. IMO we shall once have a central data storage for all devices which we can acess from laptops, desktops and and displays with touch and/or mouse-keyboard combo and similar things should happen to power storage and specific gadgets. this is a small step but into the right direction, mostly because it's cross platform and key units like the smartphone can be changed and others can be added without a change of the overall experience. let's see :)

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
Guys, comparing Nexpaq to Ara is not a very good comparison, we should compare Nexpaq to other modular smartphone cases such as The Moscase Modular Smartphone case and MODR.

The PuzzlePhone is much better comparison to Ara.

you certainly have a point if it comes to hardware conception, but not when it comes to functionality. ARA and NEXPAQ both have the same kind of daily use pattern (user) in mind and yes, you're again right when it comes to MODR, that really is a similar concept, while moscase IMO falls short in a more than one significant point. I shall for the reasons mentioned above keep ARA in, also because it's somehow an orientation point when it comes to modular devices by now, and shall investigate further on the MODR platform to see how far it is in development. the latter is important because otherwise we would have to add others which many of them will never see daylight and since i want this discussion to start only on projects with a certain probability of making it to market LOL. what i'm saying is that i will eventually add MODR to this thread to add fuel and fair comparison to the discussion :)

thank you @devon for your useful, hence very much appreciated contribution.

Reactions: Devon1080

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
Very interesting and fascinating. Main disadvantages compared with Ara:
- heavy
- big
- you can't e.g. replace the CPU for a faster one or replace the RAM by a larger amount

I hope they succeed! Whether or not I would want to buy it, I do not know yet.

yes but then they add functionality and some 1 heavier and bulkier device (dual sim for example) ( no battery pack for example) is still lighter and handier than 2 devices and then it's removable. so should someone want to take his phone to places or in places where size and weight prevail over functions, simply disconnect and you remain with your favourite smartphone, the one which you chose in the first place. but let's see, all this
are valid points, but then that's why some of us use iOS and others use android and as well many different brands and models, because preference and requirements vary :)

yes but then they add functionality and some 1 heavier and bulkier device (dual sim for example) ( no battery pack for example) is still lighter and handier than 2 devices and then it's removable. so should someone want to take his phone to places or in places where size and weight prevail over functions, simply disconnect and you remain with your favourite smartphone, the one which you chose in the first place. but let's see, all this
are valid points, but then that's why some of us use iOS and others use android and as well many different brands and models, because preference and requirements vary :)

Absolutely true, there are advantages and disadvantages! Perhaps it was unfair for me to list only the disadvantages. But the advantages had already been mentioned in the ad hehe.

mrsim

Mar 10, 2014
london
www.china-devices.com
@magnamentis
i have just discovered this modular case for the first time and i have to say i am impressed...i made contact with nexpaq and they have since answered me that they need to receive 1000+ orders for each device in order to start production for them...i really want one for my oneplus 1 so i also asked if they would put a countdown on the orders for each device this way users would know if they would receive their case soon or if it would be built at all...they answered that they cannot divulge this info as they would not want competitors to know their production rates..seems a bit silly as this type of information is usually available from most companies anyway...but i live in hope that if i do order one of these cases it will be produced and delivered rather than them sending me my money back because there were not enough orders...i also asked for a review unit and was tols they will let me know by early 2016...i also asked if they would be making some sort of discount idea if people brought them customers and they are in the process of doing this as well....i will also create a separate thread over at the oneplus section to see how many people i can get interested in this project...i also started a discussion over in the oneplus forums as well,please feel free to join and discuss there as well....:laugh:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/new-nexpaq-project-ara-style-cases-for-the-oneplus-one.372749/

magnamentis

Jul 30, 2013
Al-Ándalus
magnamentis.com
@magnamentis
i have just discovered this modular case for the first time and i have to say i am impressed...i made contact with nexpaq and they have since answered me that they need to receive 1000+ orders for each device in order to start production for them...i really want one for my oneplus 1 so i also asked if they would put a countdown on the orders for each device this way users would know if they would receive their case soon or if it would be built at all...they answered that they cannot divulge this info as they would not want competitors to know their production rates..seems a bit silly as this type of information is usually available from most companies anyway...but i live in hope that if i do order one of these cases it will be produced and delivered rather than them sending me my money back because there were not enough orders...i also asked for a review unit and was tols they will let me know by early 2016...i also asked if they would be making some sort of discount idea if people brought them customers and they are in the process of doing this as well....i will also create a separate thread over at the oneplus section to see how many people i can get interested in this project...i also started a discussion over in the oneplus forums as well,please feel free to join and discuss there as well....:laugh:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/new-nexpaq-project-ara-style-cases-for-the-oneplus-one.372749/

check my thread in the oneplus forum first, but don't hesitate to make another one, just be careful that they don't look/appear redunant, else they gonna delete which is not what we want. i as well have the OPO and of course signed up as to show interest. there already was an event to evaluate the possibility to produce for OPO and as far as i know it was quite successful, while not knowing whether the number of 1000+ was reached. i've seen a few twitter and facebook posts on the matter as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Modular hardware like Google's "Project ARA"and other concepts
    shall open up an entirely new chapter in history of "Mobile Computing" !

While google's own project for android will be device and OS locked, whle cross-OS & cross-device capabilities
    are just 2 of many qualities which, each one of them, will eventually take other, similar technologies, beyond project ARA !
    Should you have any qestions, don't hesitate to discuss it here, that's what this thread has been opened for after all. enjoy ! :fingers-crossed:

"NEXPAQ" Concept & Device Layouthttp://www.nexpaq.com

the%20real%20thing%201.png

modules%20available%20now.jpg

collection%20of%20parts.png

current%20colors%201.jpg

the%20real%20thing%202.jpeg

views%202.jpeg

"Project ARA" Device Layouthttp://www.projectara.com/

project%20ARA.jpg

As and android user don't feel offended by this picture hehe... :angel:
    just think about how important the following will be for the millions who come to android from iOS LOL :p

cross-platform%20sample%201.png

Click Here To Watch Another Video On Facebook !

AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING…...

It's important that an open platform can be built !

So *you* can dream up module ideas and developers will make them a reality!

G+ Community

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

that's an easy one:

a) ara phone will cost more than let's say a standard flaghips + nexpaq

b) you will be able to use the modules on your next phone again, including data on sdcard etc.

c) you will have a large choice of phones instead of a choice between one or two ara phones

d) you can change the OS, you can change the platform, you can change the brand and still get your preferred configuration and features

e) you will be able to hotplug without reboot

and much more and the fact that there will be a case per phone is not a disadvantage for the user, at least you have the choice which
    otherwise or now you don't have, you can even get a cheaper phone mostly half the price with slightly weaker specs and make up for
    it with modules while a module will cost between 14 and 20 bucks. example would be storage, but can be gpu, cpu, second sim, better camera
    all much more expensive in highend phones than as a module. further you can take case and module off and still have the phone as is, so you never loose anything but gain what is wanted or needed.

thanks for the feedback, critical questions provide opportunities for answers and help to initiate the discussion :) :good:
    Very interesting.

Several Big Steps Closer To The Next Big Thing !

To See The Questions To The Video Open The Blog !

https://nexpaq.com/blog/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video Only !

Very interesting.

yes, already dreaming about a tripple or more SIM highend phone haha.... just curious how they gonne deal with apple since apple does not allow apps in their playstore which allow for expanded memory ( external sd-card ) what i like the most is that as it seems this will hit the market long before google ara which swallowed hundreds of millions already and then it's hot-swap / hot-plug capable. i'll keep track of this very carefully because i smell something good :) glad you liked it however.