Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 52,011 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it possible to charge a phone through while it is on usb master mode?

Tip us?

tiagosmx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Is it possible to charge a phone through while it is on usb master mode?

Hello, I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I want it to be charged at the same time it is connected to a USB hub as master (and the USB hub as slave).

In a more practical way: I want to connect many peripherals on the phone and charge the phone at the same time through the micro USB port.

Normally the USB Hub is powered by the phone, but I want to externally power the USB hub and the phone at the same time so the connection between them is only by the 2 data USB wires. Each of the 2 USB power wires left will be connected to an external AC 5v power supply.

Is that possible?

IGGYVIP
Old
(Last edited by IGGYVIP; 4th September 2014 at 08:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Info 2 Hi there :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagosmx View Post
Hello, I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I want it to be charged at the same time it is connected to a USB hub as master (and the USB hub as slave).

In a more practical way: I want to connect many peripherals on the phone and charge the phone at the same time through the micro USB port.

Normally the USB Hub is powered by the phone, but I want to externally power the USB hub and the phone at the same time so the connection between them is only by the 2 data USB wires. Each of the 2 USB power wires left will be connected to an external AC 5v power supply.

Is that possible?
usb has 4 wires
|| + || D+ || D- || -
+- are power
D+D- are data
you could attempt to make custom cable /hub
but not sure how would the phone/accessory will react if it got just the data connected from certain devices (meaning you would have to provide "fake" power from phone to device(since phone is in charging state) by using charger outlet)[and some peripherals might require actual power from device]

EDIT:
charging speed will be slow (500mA) since data connected will be read by phone as PC charge unless device hack applied (havent got the link but i have read thread on xda)
THERE IS A REASON THANKS BUTTON IS HERE

I NEED HELP WITH THIS THREAD LG E430

ALL TIME FAVOURITE DAILY OG MILESTONE GSM
Kernel OR 2ndboot 2.6.32.60-cust-gcc9164c
Rom CM9
Custom OC 1100Mhz 75Vsel

Dual Boot UBUNTU 14 / WINDOWS 7
NEED ROOT ? TRY VROOT YOUTUBE GUIDE
MY GUIDE ON HOW TO GET QUICK ANSWERS
DETAILS !!! *i need detailed details to help you

The Following User Says Thank You to IGGYVIP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tiagosmx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYVIP View Post
usb has 4 wires
|| + || D+ || D- || -
+- are power
D+D- are data
you could attempt to make custom cable /hub
but not sure how would the phone/accessory will react if it got just the data connected from certain devices (meaning you would have to provide "fake" power from phone to device(since phone is in charging state) by using charger outlet)[and some peripherals might require actual power from device]

EDIT:
charging speed will be slow (500mA) since data connected will be read by phone as PC charge unless device hack applied (havent got the link but i have read thread on xda)
I guess the devices will be ok with the "fake" phone power, unless they have some kind of power management that only the true usb port knows (i am not aware of that but thats a possibility).
My only big concert is the phone, because beeing the usb in master mode it provides power. Or maybe the port have an intelligence and knows when to receive or provide power? What could happen when you connect a power charged wire to another power charged wire? That's one of my questions also.

This about the charging speed is intresting, it give me some clues about the device works when powered. Maybe I take the risk and try it to see what happens.

IGGYVIP
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Default ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagosmx View Post
I guess the devices will be ok with the "fake" phone power, unless they have some kind of power management that only the true usb port knows (i am not aware of that but thats a possibility).
My only big concert is the phone, because beeing the usb in master mode it provides power. Or maybe the port have an intelligence and knows when to receive or provide power? What could happen when you connect a power charged wire to another power charged wire? That's one of my questions also.

This about the charging speed is intresting, it give me some clues about the device works when powered. Maybe I take the risk and try it to see what happens.
what is your device ?
maybe something like THIS will be available
THERE IS A REASON THANKS BUTTON IS HERE

I NEED HELP WITH THIS THREAD LG E430

ALL TIME FAVOURITE DAILY OG MILESTONE GSM
Kernel OR 2ndboot 2.6.32.60-cust-gcc9164c
Rom CM9
Custom OC 1100Mhz 75Vsel

Dual Boot UBUNTU 14 / WINDOWS 7
NEED ROOT ? TRY VROOT YOUTUBE GUIDE
MY GUIDE ON HOW TO GET QUICK ANSWERS
DETAILS !!! *i need detailed details to help you

tiagosmx
Old
(Last edited by tiagosmx; 5th September 2014 at 01:21 AM.) Reason: added reply.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYVIP View Post
what is your device ?
maybe something like THIS will be available
It's a Samsung GT-I9500.

Wow, this explains a lot of things, thank you!
But yeah... then I suppose I need to change my phone's kernel with something like that.

neutronjeff
Old
Thanks Meter 18
There are otg cords for this. I just got this one to try.

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more