Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Write NFC tags that do not require other users to have the app used to write the tag.

25th June 2014, 08:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

18 posts
I have a done a bit of looking but all I've come up with is mainly 'use trigger' or something like it. But my question is: Is there a way with Trigger to write a tag that anyone can read? Or is there another NFC tag writer app that I should use?

The thing I want to do is make a tag for friends to tap when they call over that will connect them to my wifi network, but if they have to go and download trigger first then no one is going to use my tag.

Sorry if this is a re-posted question, I looked and didn't see it anywhere here and when I put the title in there was no recommended threads that had what I was asking.
26th June 2014, 12:37 PM   |  #2  
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 44

333 posts
More
I've tried different apps, and it looks like connect to wireless is not one of the default actions that is included in Android. I've only found connect to bluetooth.
27th June 2014, 11:46 AM   |  #3  
Hi, you can use NFC Tools for that.
All records on "write" tab is compatible with other NFC device.
2nd July 2014, 12:04 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_loft

I've tried different apps, and it looks like connect to wireless is not one of the default actions that is included in Android. I've only found connect to bluetooth.

I am new to NFC and I am a little confused about what NFC can do. I have the nfc-tool App and I can read many NFC tags that I have.

But for an Android phone with NFC support, without installing any 3rd party App, what can it do? Is NFC enabled by default? Are there native NFC apps that can trigger action, open URL, etc?

Also, since each NFC tag already has a unique identifier, it seems to me writing data to NFC tag isn't all that useful when only 1 phone is using it. As you could have just programmed the command to the phone. The same applies to multiple phones if you can program the phones through some other means. Am I missing something here?
2nd July 2014, 05:26 AM   |  #5  
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 44

333 posts
More
As I was saying, looks like what you want is only possible in Android L.
Have a nice day!
2nd July 2014, 03:08 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 201

575 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookin

I am new to NFC and I am a little confused about what NFC can do. I have the nfc-tool App and I can read many NFC tags that I have.

But for an Android phone with NFC support, without installing any 3rd party App, what can it do? Is NFC enabled by default? Are there native NFC apps that can trigger action, open URL, etc?

Android has native build-in support for some simple standard NFC activities, like reading a messages/contact, open URL/URI, launch application etc. .For more sophisticated activities you will always need an app to parse the tag content and handle the activities.

Quote:

Also, since each NFC tag already has a unique identifier, it seems to me writing data to NFC tag isn't all that useful when only 1 phone is using it. As you could have just programmed the command to the phone. The same applies to multiple phones if you can program the phones through some other means. Am I missing something here?

yep, fully agree. Have a look at NFC ReTag
2nd July 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #7  

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascsa

Android has native build-in support for some simple standard NFC activities, like reading a messages/contact, open URL/URI, launch application etc.

I'm a newbie here. I have a phone running 4.2.2. How do I make it read an NFC tag and take action without installing additional app? Just tap?
17th July 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #8  

31 posts
So I finally found an official NFC tag in mall. When I place my phone on it, it asks me to choose between stock Browser and Chrome. I guess if I have already chosen a default, it will just open a webpage. Now I wonder if there are security concerns. What if the URL is malicious? What if it downloaded a lot of data when the user is roaming?

I wonder what other functions an NFC tag can trigger without installing additional Apps? If I buy writable NFC tags, like the Samsung TecTiles, can it be programmed just like the mall NFC tag?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread