Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,089 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Write NFC tags that do not require other users to have the app used to write the tag.

Tip us?

replicamask
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Write NFC tags that do not require other users to have the app used to write the tag.

I have a done a bit of looking but all I've come up with is mainly 'use trigger' or something like it. But my question is: Is there a way with Trigger to write a tag that anyone can read? Or is there another NFC tag writer app that I should use?

The thing I want to do is make a tag for friends to tap when they call over that will connect them to my wifi network, but if they have to go and download trigger first then no one is going to use my tag.

Sorry if this is a re-posted question, I looked and didn't see it anywhere here and when I put the title in there was no recommended threads that had what I was asking.

daniel_loft
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I've tried different apps, and it looks like connect to wireless is not one of the default actions that is included in Android. I've only found connect to bluetooth.
Nokia 5110 > Alcatel OT303 > Nokia 3310 > Nokia 1100 > Nokia 1112 > Nokia 5000 > Nokia 6555 > Nokia 3120C > Nokia E51 > Nokia E52 > Motorola Defy > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 5

<-- Hit THANKS if this post helped you!

wakdev
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Hi, you can use NFC Tools for that.
All records on "write" tab is compatible with other NFC device.

nookin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_loft View Post
I've tried different apps, and it looks like connect to wireless is not one of the default actions that is included in Android. I've only found connect to bluetooth.
I am new to NFC and I am a little confused about what NFC can do. I have the nfc-tool App and I can read many NFC tags that I have.

But for an Android phone with NFC support, without installing any 3rd party App, what can it do? Is NFC enabled by default? Are there native NFC apps that can trigger action, open URL, etc?

Also, since each NFC tag already has a unique identifier, it seems to me writing data to NFC tag isn't all that useful when only 1 phone is using it. As you could have just programmed the command to the phone. The same applies to multiple phones if you can program the phones through some other means. Am I missing something here?

daniel_loft
Old
Thanks Meter 43
As I was saying, looks like what you want is only possible in Android L.
Have a nice day!
Nokia 5110 > Alcatel OT303 > Nokia 3310 > Nokia 1100 > Nokia 1112 > Nokia 5000 > Nokia 6555 > Nokia 3120C > Nokia E51 > Nokia E52 > Motorola Defy > Galaxy Nexus > Nexus 5

<-- Hit THANKS if this post helped you!

ascsa
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookin View Post
I am new to NFC and I am a little confused about what NFC can do. I have the nfc-tool App and I can read many NFC tags that I have.

But for an Android phone with NFC support, without installing any 3rd party App, what can it do? Is NFC enabled by default? Are there native NFC apps that can trigger action, open URL, etc?
Android has native build-in support for some simple standard NFC activities, like reading a messages/contact, open URL/URI, launch application etc. .For more sophisticated activities you will always need an app to parse the tag content and handle the activities.

Quote:
Also, since each NFC tag already has a unique identifier, it seems to me writing data to NFC tag isn't all that useful when only 1 phone is using it. As you could have just programmed the command to the phone. The same applies to multiple phones if you can program the phones through some other means. Am I missing something here?
yep, fully agree. Have a look at NFC ReTag

nookin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascsa View Post
Android has native build-in support for some simple standard NFC activities, like reading a messages/contact, open URL/URI, launch application etc.
I'm a newbie here. I have a phone running 4.2.2. How do I make it read an NFC tag and take action without installing additional app? Just tap?

nookin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So I finally found an official NFC tag in mall. When I place my phone on it, it asks me to choose between stock Browser and Chrome. I guess if I have already chosen a default, it will just open a webpage. Now I wonder if there are security concerns. What if the URL is malicious? What if it downloaded a lot of data when the user is roaming?

I wonder what other functions an NFC tag can trigger without installing additional Apps? If I buy writable NFC tags, like the Samsung TecTiles, can it be programmed just like the mall NFC tag?