Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Data connection turns itself on unprompted

OP IWR

9th July 2014, 10:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

15 posts
On Comm Manager I find that if I have my carrier's GPRS settings installed then the data connection will turn itself on whenever some program or other sneakily phones home. The only resolution I can find is the 'wrecking bar solution' of removing the GPRS connection altogether from the connection options.

Unfortunately that means using GPRS, when I occasionally need it, is a very cumbersome process of having to install and then remove the settings each time.

I tried the 'Manila Dial-up enable/disabler' mentioned in another thread, but I find that this, rather than correcting the problem, just duplicates the 'wrecking bar solution' in that with it activated I can't turn GPRS Data on at all. If I deactivate dialup disabler, then as you might expect Data turns on unprompted at the next phone-home incident. Surprisingly though, and rather uselessly, when I reactivate the dialup disabler it doesn't turn Data off! So although well-intentioned this is a rather broken solution. It doesn't achieve the requirement, which is:

Data switch on: GPRS activated.
Data switch off: GPRS deactivated.

I say to myself, SUUURELY there has to be a better answer to this? The situation is a bit like going back to the 90's with analog modems dialling unprompted and racking-up a huge bill. Seems OS programmers never learn from previous design blunders.
9th July 2014, 02:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag Ratchada (Bangkok)
Thanks Meter: 339

1,883 posts
More
Have a look for what doing it, check gps software for updating satellite options, check weather app & such like.
I find GPRS on WM6.5 perfect because can easily find and stop things automatically connecting to data with bit of a hunt & also use likes of dialup enabler disabler or GB-Soft Tweak to auto disconnect connections after short a time as 1 second of zero data.
I have mine setup with GPRS always enabled but not connected, I have no rouge app sneaking a connection but even if did it would auto disconnect meaning minimal data usage charge, also this way I can simply manually check a mail plus have my mail on a schedule & the data usage is absolute minimal thus so is the battery drain due to GPRS data use.
Not so easy on Android or iOS as have to turn data off or it milks your connection constantly.
Do some research & feel free ask more questions as this should be easily sorted .

Also perhaps take a look at the modaco nodata app
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/modaco-n...s-3g-edge-off/

Yet another option is Advanced Config, this has options turn data off & also set time out for auto disconnect ... menu > more settings > connections .

More options are:
Go to: Start -> Settings -> Connections -> Advanced -> Select Networks
then create a new connection without any Modem settings. And select that connection as your default Data connection.

Registry control
In the registry you’ve got the following key:
HKLM\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections
There are all your data connections.
Go inside every data connection and you’ll find a key “Enabled”.
This key has a value 01 (1) or 00 (0) - 1 means it the selected GPRS setting option & enabled, setting to 0 will disable this GPRS setting.
You could use mortscipt to make a custom toggle for your specific data connection. we can help here in this thread or go to the mortscript thread for help completing a custom data toggle script application.

CABs all added below as a lot of the WM5 to 6.5 stuff is leading to dead links .
Last edited by Mister B; 11th July 2014 at 05:13 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread