WebOS...any redeeming value?

Search This thread

Juan Handed

Jan 15, 2011
HP is shutting down WebOS on January 15,I have 2 Touchpads,one is unopened sitting in a draw for 2 years.Should I do anything special before the shutdown?

I only use it as a web browser on wifi when on the road at work,and from day 1,it has been barely adequate,and from day one it has not been functional on many websites,and seems to be more incompatible with other sites as time goes on.Is there any reason to keep WebOS,or should I just convert it to Android...and is there any rush for me to do anything,like any downloads or apps before the 15th?

I don't have any Palm devices,so I have no feelings for the OS at all.All my phones have been Android,don't play around with them much,but root them all.

ethic5

Jan 3, 2014
I didn't have any actual information on the implications of it shutting down but it also piqued my interest so i had a quick search. See the following link ( i can't link yet but it's a https address.

developer.palm.com/content/resources/develop/faq.html

It seems most of the useful services will be shut down at the same time (including the app catalog and alarmingly, but not surprisingly, any password recovery). So basically, after the 15th you'll be a bit stuck.

As for whether you should get rid and use android, i think you answered your own question. You only have 1 function and it doesn't perform that to your satisfaction. I would suggest switching to Android, at least you can dual boot and give it a go. I currently use Lolipop on mine. Whilst not as smooth or aesthetically 'nice' as webos, i find it far more functional.

Hope this helps

Reactions: sstar

Juan Handed

Jan 15, 2011
Well,HP announced at the last second that they were extending the services until March 15.
And hahaha,yes I guess I kind of answered my own question about keeping WebOS versus moving it to Android. and yes,my dissatisfaction of the WebOS browser started the day I turned it on about 2 years ago,and found it would not render the National Weather Service website correctly...apparently not compatible with how most government websites are written.Being in the construction industry,I am hitting up that website a few times a day,to plan out the day,and that site is by far the most useful and accurate.

I guess my next question is...How will this touchpad run on Android,and what limitations or glitches can I anticipate with it as a web browser? I just want to be sure I can install and chase down any problems with my simple and rudimentary skillset.

ethic5

Jan 3, 2014
I can only speak from my own experience, although if you look through this forum sub-section + the ones for a particular ROM you are considering (in the development) it would give you a good idea.

I have used various ROMS (mostly derivatives of Cyanogenmod). It started out a bit shakey, which is understandable, on version 7 but now it is up to 12 and i don't really find i have any day to day issues. The ageing hardware does struggle a bit if you have a load of widgets on the home screens and background apps running but from the sounds of what you want i don't expect an issue. There are also a lot of various different android weather apps that should suit your needs without even having to visit a website.

The installation/removal is fairly straightforward now with step by step guides on doing it. Look at the threads about TPtoolbox. This is a very straightforward tool.

Also if you try it before March you can always revert if you want to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't have any actual information on the implications of it shutting down but it also piqued my interest so i had a quick search. See the following link ( i can't link yet but it's a https address.

developer.palm.com/content/resources/develop/faq.html

It seems most of the useful services will be shut down at the same time (including the app catalog and alarmingly, but not surprisingly, any password recovery). So basically, after the 15th you'll be a bit stuck.

As for whether you should get rid and use android, i think you answered your own question. You only have 1 function and it doesn't perform that to your satisfaction. I would suggest switching to Android, at least you can dual boot and give it a go. I currently use Lolipop on mine. Whilst not as smooth or aesthetically 'nice' as webos, i find it far more functional.

Hope this helps