No registration required

[ROM] [NIGHTLY] [KitKat] [4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 nightlies

OP milaq

8th December 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebdaking

i use single swap and select cache and gapps of 9mb(you try other version) wow. try older version and see and flash the latest one without wiping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utx

Call this once in the root shell:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/cache/swap bs=1048576 count=256 # last number = swap size in MiB
mkswap /cache/swap
And call this as root on every boot:
Code:
swapon /cache/swap
Note: I am not sure, how much space in /cache can be occupied by swap, but it seems that 256MiB is still OK. /cache has only a minimal use in the latest Android.

Physical memory usage statistics in the root shell:
Code:
free

I'm little confused about swapping and actual latency of my phone. It's now so lazy. I don't know why.
Anyway I now delete whole caches that was created by TURBO BOOST MOD. When I type free command I have got following output (please look at attached screenshot).

However could you please tell me how can I run any command on every boot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-19-44-43.png
Views:	226
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	3054289  
Last edited by Firestone_cz; 8th December 2014 at 07:57 PM.
8th December 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #42  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 17

59 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone_cz

I'm little confused about swapping and actual latency of my phone. It's now so lazy. I don't know why.

The impact of swap is not so positive as one would expect:
  • Android killer starts to terminate apps when going out of free physical RAM, not RAM+swap. It means that swap could nearly never be filled.
  • Modern Android can save application state and restore later. This process may be fast (application needs to be ran, but often resulting only small amount of data writes), maybe even faster than writing the whole application memory image into the swap and then restoring it.
  • Writing to swap can cause latency, as memory allocations wait until it is done. (These lags can be experienced even on desktop Linux systems with slow swap.)
  • In case of zramfs swap, amount of physical memory available to applications significantly decreases!

Quote:

Anyway I now delete whole caches that was created by TURBO BOOST MOD. When I type free command I have got following output (please look at attached screenshot).

Typical image. HTC Desire Z has 384MiB of RAM usable by system. Kernel needs several megabytes permanently, the rest is available to the system. Physical image is nearly full, because there are too many applications that want to use RAM. Less applications = smaller pressure to free RAM. (You can tune applications wakeups and occupying RAM by these applications: Autostarts (waking by event), Greenify (hibernate and exit applications exactly like Android memory manager does), Per App Hacking (control RAM resident processes), App Settings (disable wakeups and installation of services). And using Titanium Backup, you can freeze the application completely.)

You can fine tune kernel virtual memory management using virtual files in /proc/sys/vm (cat /proc/sys/vm/{file}, echo {number} >/proc/sys/vm/{file}). But finding a better configuration is a bit of magic.

Quote:

However could you please tell me how can I run any command on every boot?

I created a simple Tasker task for it. (Tasker supports root shell, and it needs no programming.)
8th December 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utx

I created a simple Tasker task for it. (Tasker supports root shell, and it needs no programming.)

Where I can find this Tasker?
Anyway when I manually set swap I got followed. I'm afraid that swap size will be soon filled at the maximum and after that system will be slowly again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-21-14-02.png
Views:	224
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	3054389  
9th December 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #44  
Flag Prague

59 posts
Quote:

Where I can find this Tasker?

Tasker in Google Play. It is also possible to export a task, but I never tried it.

Quote:

Anyway when I manually set swap I got followed. I'm afraid that swap size will be soon filled at the maximum and after that system will be slowly again?

Interesting, your KitKat heavily uses swap.

Swap itself slows down the system a bit, as it needs to write to flash. When you will be out of swap, some applications will be killed.
16th December 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #45  
Flag Prague

59 posts
ZRAM
Here is the way, how to disable ZRAM swap:
Code:
swapoff /dev/block/zram0 # You may experience "Killed" many times. Repeat often as long as it is not killed.
echo 1 >/sys/block/zram0/reset # Release RAM occupied by ZRAM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11, cyanogenmod, desire z, kitkat, vision
Previous Thread Next Thread