Market: "Download was unsuccessful please try again"

Search This thread

Fractalogic

May 13, 2013
I have SuperNova ROM on the phone (Supernova_2.4.0.1_signed.zip). I have root and S-OFF (stock HBOOT image). Now that I have finally found a ROM that expands my internal memory some of the apps don't want to install. So the situation is that most of the apps do install, but when I try to install some of them I get an error message right after the download of the app is complete, and before the installation starts.

This is the error message:

Download error
Download was unsuccessful,
please try again.

One example of app that always fails every time I try to install it, is Angry Birds by Rovio Mobile. The download size is 33.83 MB (version 3.1.0) and right after the download completes it gives me the error that the download was unsuccessful.

What is this? Unsuccessful download? How can it be unsuccessful? I just saw the download complete!! This is more of an installation problem than download problem.

Why does it affect only some of the apps and not all of them?

I thought this had only to do with game apps, and/or apps with large install sizes. But I have installed Benji Bananas (version 1.9) which is 16.88 MB and some other heavy apps without a problem.

Does it have to do with where the app defaults to install? Default install location? Apps that install to SD (support Froyo App2SD) by default? Maybe this is somehow messed up with the App2SD+ and Data2SD that's integrated in this ROM?

Attachments

• device-2013-05-20-142944.jpg
    device-2013-05-20-142944.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 59
  • device-2013-05-20-143035.jpg
    device-2013-05-20-143035.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 58
  • device-2013-05-20-143050.jpg
    device-2013-05-20-143050.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 79

Tonal4Nagual

Apr 9, 2011
Zagreb
I have SuperNova ROM on the phone (Supernova_2.4.0.1_signed.zip). I have root and S-OFF (stock HBOOT image). Now that I have finally found a ROM that expands my internal memory some of the apps don't want to install. So the situation is that most of the apps do install, but when I try to install some of them I get an error message right after the download of the app is complete, and before the installation starts.

This is the error message:

One example of app that always fails every time I try to install it, is Angry Birds by Rovio Mobile. The download size is 33.83 MB (version 3.1.0) and right after the download completes it gives me the error that the download was unsuccessful.

What is this? Unsuccessful download? How can it be unsuccessful? I just saw the download complete!! This is more of an installation problem than download problem.

Why does it affect only some of the apps and not all of them?

I thought this had only to do with game apps, and/or apps with large install sizes. But I have installed Benji Bananas (version 1.9) which is 16.88 MB and some other heavy apps without a problem.

Does it have to do with where the app defaults to install? Default install location? Apps that install to SD (support Froyo App2SD) by default? Maybe this is somehow messed up with the App2SD+ and Data2SD that's integrated in this ROM?

Read this:https://supernova.droidzone.in/category/faq/ at 28.

Fractalogic

May 13, 2013
Thanks Tonal! I actually visited that same FAQ page earlier today but I gave up after reading through half of the page. I didn't think that this issue was covered by the FAQ. I didn't expect to find it at the bottom of the page as the last Q & A. I feel like they should move this up to the top, maybe even make it the question number one, as I'm sure others have faced this issue before and it's probably a frequent issue.

Here is a copy of that Q & A for future visitors.

28 Question: I am unable to install large apps (typically >25 MB or thereabouts) on my phone

This is a limitation of Market cache. To solve this, you have to tweak your software a bit.

Beginners: You need to first install an app called Scriptmanager from the Market. Once done, download a script named cacheboost.sh from here. Run Script Manager, and select this downloaded script. Execute is as root (the icon with Skull and Bones must be activated). This script must be run after a reboot, and before you want to install a large app. The changed made by the script are lost after each reboot, though the app you installed remains installed. If you find yourself running this frequently, you may add the path to this script in an init.d script to execute it at every boot.

Advanced Users: Download cacheboost.sh script
Open a terminal emulator or adb shell interface
Code:
cd /path/to/script
chmod 755 cacheboost.sh
./cacheboost.sh
If you wish to load the script at every boot, add a line in /system/etc/init.d/01data

So this has to do with the cache of the Android Market app not being big enough. Go figure!

All of this is redundant however. Because I have solved it by simply manually installing the latest Play Store app (replacement of Android Market). It refused to install over ADB, so I had to copy the APK file to the SD and then open it with a file explorer.

Here's a short how-to.

1. Download the APK file for Play Store.
  2. Connect the phone to the computer. If prompted, choose to mount as disk drive.
  3. Copy the APK file to the SD card.
  4. Disconnect the phone.
  5. Go to menu, settings, applications, and enable unknown sources.
  6. Start a file manager app (I used ES File Explorer, but ASTRO is good too).
  7. Browse to the file (/mnt/sdcard/) and tap it to open. You'll be prompted if you want to replace a system app. Tap OK to continue.
I have included screenshots and the APK for the Play Store since I had it readily available anyway. But you can also check out this post at DroidLife and follow the download link there. It looks like they link to version 4.0.25. Mine is 4.0.27 which is even better.

Attachments

• device-2013-05-20-225649.png
    device-2013-05-20-225649.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 50
  • device-2013-05-20-225700.png
    device-2013-05-20-225700.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 52