Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

So is Oxygen still the fastest alternative?

OP _jonte

29th July 2014, 01:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
Broke my current phone and will have to use my old Desire for a couple of weeks. Last time I used it I remember Oxygen based roms were the fastest by far. Is this still true, or is the new kitkat a true contender?
I tĥink I used a rom called nicks phone.. anyone still use it? Although when I booted up the phone a few minutes ago it had Mildwild on, but totally unconfigured so I dont think ive really used it. Seems a bit sluggish though so i will want to install something else.

So I guess super fast and snappy are my only wishes. Old or new version of android, extra features, etc doesnt matter.
29th July 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 610

1,407 posts
More
As a general rule, gingerbread AOSP ROMs were 'fastest' and most stable for Desire

As a more universal rule however, it's better to try different ROMs for your usage and preferences. Others can only really give their experiences with different setups etc, and their definition of fast, stable, "amazing battery" will differ massively.

- Nandroid backup
- Full wipe install new rom
- Test
- (Optional: repeat/restore backup)
- Make up mind
The Following User Says Thank You to eddiehk6 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 29

147 posts
More
I used to care about getting the latest android version, but ICS and beyond the camera was unusable and everything was just laggy. I moved back to gingerbread and have been using mildwild's rom based on oxygen for over a year. It doesn't contain very much customization, but its stable and as snappy as we're going to get on such an old phone. No one's really developing for the desire anymore so I've decided to just stop playing around with other roms since this one doesn't give me any problems. Here's a link to the rom
The Following User Says Thank You to kokocabana For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokocabana

I used to care about getting the latest android version, but ICS and beyond the camera was unusable and everything was just laggy. I moved back to gingerbread and have been using mildwild's rom based on oxygen for over a year. It doesn't contain very much customization, but its stable and as snappy as we're going to get on such an old phone. No one's really developing for the desire anymore so I've decided to just stop playing around with other roms since this one doesn't give me any problems. Here's a link to the rom

Thanks, just the kind of input I was looking for. Just flashed the rom and the update andit seems Lightning fast. But I cannot start Play store as it crashes. Did you experience this issue?
Could I just flash latest gapps on this install?
30th July 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

41 posts
Had to remove the Mildwild rom because there was no way to fix Play store. Ended up installing the rom Nicks Phone instead. Blazing fast and everything works perfect. Its also based on Oxygen and I really recommend it.
Link http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1521514
The Following User Says Thank You to _jonte For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st July 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 29

147 posts
More
I have no problems with the playstore
2nd August 2014, 12:54 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Originally Posted by _jonte

Broke my current phone and will have to use my old Desire for a couple of weeks. Last time I used it I remember Oxygen based roms were the fastest by far. Is this still true, or is the new kitkat a true contender?
I tĥink I used a rom called nicks phone.. anyone still use it? Although when I booted up the phone a few minutes ago it had Mildwild on, but totally unconfigured so I dont think ive really used it. Seems a bit sluggish though so i will want to install something else.

So I guess super fast and snappy are my only wishes. Old or new version of android, extra features, etc doesnt matter.

Try a stock rooted rom with a2sd. E.g Gingerbread 2.3.3, there are many available and everything works.
Cheers
9th August 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 78

653 posts
I'm using official oxygen ROM and it's still by far the fastest. Kk Roms all slow down and become unstable after a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
9th August 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

38 posts
Someone can give me link to oxygen rom i cant find working mirror
10th August 2014, 03:50 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 78

653 posts
I can't remember where I found it. I had to search a bit. Took me even longer to find the track pad to wake mod.

I would upload a copy but I don't have a home internet plan and am really low on data right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread