Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

HTC Desire repurposed as a MP3 player ?

OP dsbnz

12th July 2014, 11:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Thanks Meter: 96

399 posts
More
This may have been discussed or the idea floated in the past but has anyone thought of building a ROM solely for using the desire as an MP3 player, or music player in general. With the Desire being a bit aged now, and i imagine most people have upgraded, but still have the desire floating around, it would be handy as a mp3 player for car or whatever.

The idea being...

Stripping out .. phone/sms functionality, and really minimising the ROM for speed and performance by removing any other unnecessary apps and features. But keeping Bluetooth and WiFi.

I've tried it in the past with various available ROMs, it kind of works but its fiddly and messy. I think it would require a bit more in depth development to iron out any issues.

Just putting the idea out there for anyone skilled who still likes tinkering with the desire.
Last edited by dsbnz; 13th July 2014 at 02:09 PM.
22nd July 2014, 12:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 37

100 posts
More
If all your doing is playing MP3's I don't really see what you gain by removing features? playing MP3's is hardly demanding.

Why just remove everything from your home screen except your MP3 player of choice, put the phone in aeroplane mode to save battery and enjoy!

Maybe you could disable the lock screen too so your straight in to the MP3 player when you wake the phone up.
The Following User Says Thank You to InsaneNutter For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 08:39 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

399 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneNutter

If all your doing is playing MP3's I don't really see what you gain by removing features? playing MP3's is hardly demanding.

Why just remove everything from your home screen except your MP3 player of choice, put the phone in aeroplane mode to save battery and enjoy!

Maybe you could disable the lock screen too so your straight in to the MP3 player when you wake the phone up.

The idea of removing unnecessary apps is for a few basic reasons:
* Increasing free ram
* Reduce battery drain
* Reduce Rom Footprint (use smaller system partition).

And why have a bunch of apps using resource, when they aren't required for the purpose intended.

Basically removing everything that's not needed to make the phone a basic mp3 player, as i explained above. With the point in mind, a phone without a sim.

Like i also said, I've done it by striping down a ROM manually, and it does work really well as intended, but its a messy, time consuming procedure. I was just wondering if there was any skilled people out there who liked the idea, and wanted to create a more polished concept.

Another point, why try to force the Desire to run android 4+, which is really isn't designed for, and make a better functioning ROM as MP3 player.

Google the idea, there been a number of people asking similar across various websites, and i think its a valid and practical idea, for making better use of an old phone.
Last edited by dsbnz; 22nd July 2014 at 08:46 AM.
22nd July 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 609

1,406 posts
More
I'm also unsure as to how much would be gained by doing this. Lightest weight launcher, with a single home page with music widget controls seems the same thing.

- If all you're doing is using it for music, it doesn't really need much RAM. It's a background process with the screen off most of the time.

- If it doesn't have a SIM or even just in airplane mode, the phone/SMS capability is already removed, regardless of what's in the ROM. Any other apps which require an internet or network connection will just lie dormant. I agree removing them removes any possibility of battery usage, but they won't 'drain' it significantly by merely existing. For instance SMS won't use anything without a SIM. If you don't login to any gmail account etc, there's nothing to sync, so no usage there either.

- I was always the same, removing unncessary apps and sounds etc from /system to fit it into a smaller hboot. However this was in order to conversely gain as much space on /data to increase space for apps. If the ROM is only used for music, it will have lots of free space anyway, whether it's on /system or /data doesn't really matter in this instance. All the music is stored and played from the sdcard anyway

However if you've already done it and gone through all the effort of stripping everything out of a ROM.zip, why not repackage your own music ROM with only the music player, and release it giving proper credits?

I say put it out there, let the 'market' decide whether it is popular that's what the development section does
Last edited by eddiehk6; 22nd July 2014 at 11:23 AM.
22nd July 2014, 01:41 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

399 posts
More
Guys, you're missing the point, im putting an idea out there, to see if someone will some dev skill wants to take it further. Surely there's a bunch of people who have desires lying around, rather than sell (for very little) or bin it, why not transform its function, properly.
22nd July 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 609

1,406 posts
More
The problem is that devs mostly like to add and fine tune features. This is the opposite, removing almost everything except the music player from the ROM.zip.

And why let a dev steal your idea and do exactly what you've already done? You've put in the leg work, release it. People who only want a music ROM could want it. Give it a good name, let it fly I say.
22nd July 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #7  
Flag bradford
Thanks Meter: 74

845 posts
More
How can a dev take ur idea further its only going to have mp3 on it?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app
22nd July 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #8  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 3,163

10,334 posts
More
closed per OP request.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread