Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Cannot flash custom ROM, what am I doing wrong?

OP ioannoukyriakos

1st July 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I decided to use my old HTC Magic as a second phone, but I realised that 1,5 is too old. So I thought I should root it and flash a custom recovery and ROM, how difficult can it be, right?

The phone is a black Magic without the 3,5 jack. I believe it's unbranded, the splashscreen is HTC.

Info before doing anything on it:
PVT 32B SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT 1.33.0010 (SAPP 10000)
CPLD - 7
RADIO 3.22.20.17

I found out that the HBOOT is a "perfected" SPL, so I followed a guide with the goldcard to flash a stock ROM with another SPL.

Info after that:
PVT 32B SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT 1.33.0009 (SAPP 10000)
CPLD - 7
RADIO 3.22.20.17

I also followed the guide in this forum to root the device and flash an eng SPL. now the SPL is 1.33.2010.
Amon_RA's recovery did not work for me, the home button (for confirmation) is not working in recovery. Instead, I flashed Clockwork recovery and I was able to have full functionality in recovery mode.

Now I am trying to install a custom ROM. Most links are broken, so I went with what was available: Cyanogen 5.0.7 final with GAPPS and Cyanogen 6.1.

The problem is that both ROM's I tried will install successfully, but when I reboot the phone it will just hang on the HTC logo.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
1st July 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
A lot of frustration accompanied by the fear of bricking the phone results in a great deal of stupidity...

I hadn't flashed a kernel.

Please mark this as solved.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread