No registration required

[Q] ¿Can i take an OTA whit S-OFF?

OP conquesoextra

21st July 2014, 08:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 112

688 posts
(SOLVED)

Im in stock 4.1.2 whit S-OFF, unlocked bootloader (1.55) and then RELOCKED.

¿Can i take the last OTA?

Im not rooted, and i dont have custom recoverys (i recently flashed a RUU.zip to return to stock, but i could not remove the S-OFF and RELOCKED status because the hboot 1.55).

I have economic (health) problems and I'll really need to sell my phone, but I'm afraid that the new owner will come out error when trying to update.
Last edited by conquesoextra; 22nd July 2014 at 04:27 AM.
21st July 2014, 09:11 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 62

187 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquesoextra

Im in stock 4.1.2 whit S-OFF, unlocked bootloader (1.55) and then RELOCKED.

¿Can i take the last OTA?

Im not rooted, and i dont have custom recoverys (i recently flashed a RUU.zip to return to stock, but i could not remove the S-OFF and RELOCKED status because the hboot 1.55).

I have economic (health) problems and I'll really need to sell my phone, but I'm afraid that the new owner will come out error when trying to update.

Yes. You can get OTAs while S-OFF. And assuming you haven't unlocked the bootloader since flashing the RUU, all the system files it verifies should be in place to accept OTAs. However, considering you are currently on 4.1.2, you'll need to run through a progression of OTAs to get up to the latest version, 4.4.2 w/ Sense 6. Might be better to just run the latest RUU to bring it up to 4.4.2 w/ Sense 5.5 then OTA to Sense 6. Be aware that you'll need to be on the AT&T network in order to get the updates OTA. If you're not on AT&T, you'll need to flash the updates manually, in which case you'll need to be S_OFF.

Also, once the phone is S-OFF there is no good reason to change that back to S-ON. There's the potential of bricking the phone by doing so. And even if it doesn't brick, the updates in firmware may make it more difficult to obtain S-OFF again.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharksfan7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

688 posts
Thank you very much.

At the begining i did this:
1- Unlocked bootloader and flashed TWRP.
2- Root
3- Gained S-Off

When i decide to sell it i did this:
1- Removed xposed and root.
2 - Relocked bootloader.
3 - Flashed RUU.zip (4.1.2)

¿What do you mean whit AT&T network? I unlocked the phone vía imei (using it in mexico whit Telcel) and still have the update appearing.

Sorry for my terrible english
Last edited by conquesoextra; 21st July 2014 at 07:46 PM.
21st July 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 62

187 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquesoextra

Thank you very much.

At the begining i did this:
1- Unlocked bootloader and flashed TWRP.
2- Root
3- Gained S-Off

When i decide to sell it i did this:
1- Removed xposed and root.
2 - Relocked bootloader.
3 - Flashed RUU.zip (4.1.2)

¿What do you mean whit AT&T network? I unlocked the phone vía imei (using it in mexico whit Telcel) and still have the update appearing.

Sorry for my terrible english

First off, since you are S-OFF there is no need to relock the bootloader in order to flash an RUU. It will run just fine with an unlocked bootloader. Also when you flash an RUU, all the partitions get wiped so there is no need to do anything within the ROM such as remove xposed & root prior to flashing. The RUU will set the device essentially in a factory state.

As far as I understand it, the OTAs for carrier specific devices are served up by the carrier. So if the phone has been SIM unlocked and is being used on another network, if you go into Settings>AT&T software update, it will not receive any available OTA update. You will need to flash the update file manually using the information in this thread, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2659374.

Since you are still on 4.1.2, you will need to run one of the recent RUUs in order to manually flash the OTA updates in that thread. The latest RUU available for AT&T devices is KK4.4.2 w/Sense 5.5.

http://androidruu.com/getdownload.ph...5_signed_2.exe

Flash that then you can manually flash the OTA update to get Sense 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharksfan7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

688 posts
You are the man.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread