[Q] Can I get S-Off without flashing a different ROM?

OP nogloww

28th July 2014, 08:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Under A Rock
Thanks Meter: 4

64 posts
More
I have the 1.57 hboot and TWRP, stock ROM and kernel. Is there a way to get S-Off without flashing a different ROM? I like my phone the way it is except for the bloatware. I can uninstall it with Titanium Backup but every time I reboot, it just reinstalls it all. I have made a filter with all the bloat in TT that I run to quickly remove it but it would be nice to be able to reboot without uninstalling all the bloat each time. Is there a way to gain write permissions to the system partition without getting S-Off? I'm not very savvy when it comes to the more complicated processes involving using ADB and command lines, by the way, so if it involves a lot of that I may just have to keep doing what I'm doing. Any help or points in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
29th July 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 62

187 posts
If Firewater won't S-OFF your phone with the stock ROM, then your next step would be to create a nandroid of your current stock ROM, flash a custom ROM and try Firewater again. If it's successful in gaining S-OFF, you can then restore the nandroid of stock. If Firewater comes back with the message saying it can't gain S-OFF no matter what you try, then you're stuck S-ON for now. Restore your nandroid and you're back to where you started.

If you just want to remove the bloatware and not have it return, and don't care about getting S-OFF, I believe you can flash an insecure kernel, such as ElementalX. After you install the insecure kernel, run your script to delete the bloatware and it should be gone for good.

I'm not 100% positive about this though, maybe more like 98%, b/c I've been S-OFF from the beginning and not entirely sure on the limitation of being S-On w/ unlocked bootloader. But I'm running the stock ROM, with ElementalX kernel and I've removed bloatware and it doesn't come back for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharksfan7 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st August 2014, 08:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Under A Rock
Thanks Meter: 4

64 posts
More
Talking Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan7

If Firewater won't S-OFF your phone with the stock ROM, then your next step would be to create a nandroid of your current stock ROM, flash a custom ROM and try Firewater again. If it's successful in gaining S-OFF, you can then restore the nandroid of stock. If Firewater comes back with the message saying it can't gain S-OFF no matter what you try, then you're stuck S-ON for now. Restore your nandroid and you're back to where you started.

If you just want to remove the bloatware and not have it return, and don't care about getting S-OFF, I believe you can flash an insecure kernel, such as ElementalX. After you install the insecure kernel, run your script to delete the bloatware and it should be gone for good.

I'm not 100% positive about this though, maybe more like 98%, b/c I've been S-OFF from the beginning and not entirely sure on the limitation of being S-On w/ unlocked bootloader. But I'm running the stock ROM, with ElementalX kernel and I've removed bloatware and it doesn't come back for me.

Thanks! This is just the information I was looking for. I won't be able to try it for a week or so, but when I do I'll post back here with the results.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hboot 1.57, s-off
Previous Thread Next Thread