Add grip to the slippery gunmetal model

Search This thread

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I love the metal finish and look but I've been using a clear case along with a glass screen protector since it's very slippery. I now want to use it naked but need to add some kind of grip, especially to the sides... Anyone has any ideas, like some kind of clear bumper or skin?

Thanks

Rantrave07

Sep 19, 2013
Dhaka
I love the metal finish and look but I've been using a clear case along with a glass screen protector since it's very slippery. I now want to use it naked but need to add some kind of grip, especially to the sides... Anyone has any ideas, like some kind of clear bumper or skin?

Thanks

use a skin from fireflex or dbrand or any other brand you like. select a grippy texture. make sure all sides are covered. that will do the trick :)

Reactions: Badelhas

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
You can. I think there are transparent skins available too. Check them out. Transparent skins are always better. :)
I checked the brands you suggested and didn't find any clear skin. I found a seller from Romania called "X-Skinz" on eBay for 11 bucks but can't find any reviews about it anywhere. And his 97% rating is not inspiring ;) there are cheaper yet on eBay but from China and those must be terrible.
Xtremeguard also has a full body clear skin but it dosent protect the sides.

Rantrave07

Sep 19, 2013
Dhaka
I checked the brands you suggested and didn't find any clear skin. I found a seller from Romania called "X-Skinz" on eBay for 11 bucks but can't find any reviews about it anywhere. And his 97% rating is not inspiring ;) there are cheaper yet on eBay but from China and those must be terrible.
Xtremeguard also has a full body clear skin but it dosent protect the sides.

No xtremeguard doesn't provide side parts. Don't go there if you want full body. Lol. What seller you have seen in ebay? Post a link if you can. :)

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
This should do the trick.
I have the carbon fiber skin on my Transformer. It's real nice and recommended. I've been thinking of getting this clear skin for my M8 one of these days. As you can see it does wrap around the sides. Should give you the grip your looking for.

Skinomi TechSkin
Thanks. This one seems expensive but what do you think about it? http://www.bodyguardz.com/htc-one-m8-cases-screen-protectors-covers-shields-clear-skins-films.html

theandies

That looks cool but yes, expensive. Give it a try and let us know.
I'm using the Dotview I got for Christmas right now. I was using this until then.

My Review of the Luvvitt Clearview htc One M8 Case

I go naked at home when I was using my Clearview. The novelty of the Dotview hasn't worn off yet.......it will though.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
Regarding cases, I am currently using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear case but the best looking clear case I used (at the same expense of less protection) is the Baseus Ultra Thin Clear TPU Case
High-Quality-Original-Baseus-Ultra-Thin-Transparent-Clear-Back-Cover-For-HTC-One-M8-TPU-Soft.jpg

But I really would like to try it naked, feel the metal and all that. When you think about it, what's the point of buying a metal body smartphone if your not feeling it? Problem is the lack of grip... If only the sides were textured, that's what I really wanted now

Last edited:
Weirdly, I've been thinking about this too. I ran naked for a few days and really liked it however it is insanely slippery!

I started searching for mobile "grips" as I wanted something I could "apply" to certain areas. For me its namely bottom right corner, bottom left corner as that's where contact is when I'm holding it one handed. However all I could really find either looked horrible or poor DIY jobs.

I wanted something transparent, low profile but has a slightly "grippy" texture.

I'm thinking about checking out DIY store for adhesive tapes etc. and seeing if anything is suitable. Other avenues might be worth exploring, those sticky back gel things used to apply to ornaments etc. to prevent scratching surfaces they're placed on. And the sticky back materials they use on the bottom of chair/table legs to prevent scratching wood flooring.

For me, even a small square of material which is super thin, transparent and otherwise unnoticeable on the rear bottom half of the handset would suffice for a decent grip.

What would be even better though, is a low profile bumper which lips around front and back adding grip around the edges.

Reactions: Badelhas

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
Weirdly, I've been thinking about this too. I ran naked for a few days and really liked it however it is insanely slippery!

I started searching for mobile "grips" as I wanted something I could "apply" to certain areas. For me its namely bottom right corner, bottom left corner as that's where contact is when I'm holding it one handed. However all I could really find either looked horrible or poor DIY jobs.

I wanted something transparent, low profile but has a slightly "grippy" texture.

I'm thinking about checking out DIY store for adhesive tapes etc. and seeing if anything is suitable. Other avenues might be worth exploring, those sticky back gel things used to apply to ornaments etc. to prevent scratching surfaces they're placed on. And the sticky back materials they use on the bottom of chair/table legs to prevent scratching wood flooring.

For me, even a small square of material which is super thin, transparent and otherwise unnoticeable on the rear bottom half of the handset would suffice for a decent grip.

What would be even better though, is a low profile bumper which lips around front and back adding grip around the edges.
Exactly. Or some kind of crystal clear bumper only, instead of the metal bumper I saw. That would be great. I have a friend who is a "McGuyver" kind of guy, I'm going to ask for his opinion on this subject also.

Reactions: Chris_c81

th3

Apr 13, 2010
UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
I think you're looking for more on the lines of a 'bumper' rather than a full 'skin' ?

Like the Poetic Borderline and FlexiFrame side bumpers...

But I doubt any of them made any for the M8 after disappointing interest with their M7 line.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe these handset manufactures could knurel the edges like ratchet manufacturers do. Something like this:

1-GBS-1-14-AB-KNURLED2_LG.jpg
    This should do the trick.
    I have the carbon fiber skin on my Transformer. It's real nice and recommended. I've been thinking of getting this clear skin for my M8 one of these days. As you can see it does wrap around the sides. Should give you the grip your looking for.

Skinomi TechSkin
    I think you're looking for more on the lines of a 'bumper' rather than a full 'skin' ?

Like the Poetic Borderline and FlexiFrame side bumpers...

But I doubt any of them made any for the M8 after disappointing interest with their M7 line.

Sent using Tapatalk
    ExtremeGuard clear back took away most of the slippery feel for me. It's shiny yet grippy.
    3d149789e3635b061f1988d51251e0ca.jpg
    d59e78be1192ac9e4e9fbfa439e55aba.jpg

Even though it isn't on the sides, the back sticks to my hand better.

Thanks

use a skin from fireflex or dbrand or any other brand you like. select a grippy texture. make sure all sides are covered. that will do the trick :)