Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,015 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is the Dot View case worth it?

Tip us?

TarekElsakka
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default [Q] Is the Dot View case worth it?

I have been reading mixed reviews about the case and it's fairly expensive over in Egypt so I cannot really decide if I should buy it or not, and unfortunately there's no option of trying it beforehand.

One recent user said that it actually created a smudge/scratched his screen and that kind of scares me because I just bought the phone for a crap load of money and I don't want to scratch it. I have been a M7 user for almost two years and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. The reason I am hesitant about the Dot View is because it's a flip case and even though I bought the HTC Double Dip Flip case for M7 when I first got it with excitement, I ended up ditching it for a normal back cover about a week later because it's a pain as a daily-driver.

My M8 came with a cover inside the box (which I am assuming is standard with any M8) and it actually does a decent job but I am not a fan of rubber-feel cases and I prefer plastic ones. The only problem with back covers is that when my M7 accidentally fell of the table last week, its screen got shattered and I was very upset about it. I am pretty sure if I had the Double Dip Flip cover on, that wouldn't have happened.

Any information, thoughts, and advice are much appreciated.
HTC One M8
- VenomROM 2.2.0
- ElementalX 1.02
- TWRP 2.7.1.1

scott500
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I would say its a personal preference. I got a dot view case just to check it out. It was sort of fun but the novelity wore off pretty fast. The big problem with that case is that it offers very little in the way of protection for the phone...and secondly, you can't use it with a glass screen protector (for the most part) because the case doesn't close fully with the glass installed. Also, the phone is a pain to get out of your pocket due to the rubber front, which by the way, will forever attract lint and get all mucked up...All in all it was more of a pain in the end.

I ended up choosing a nice iloome 9H tempered glass screen protector and a Spigen Slim Armor case and its a fantastic match of good looks and protection.

Here are a couple of links if it helps you...best of luck with your new M8. You're going to love it.

http://www.amazon.com/iloome-ScreenM.../dp/B00ADT25ZG

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-C.../dp/B00IF5B49S

TarekElsakka
Old
(Last edited by TarekElsakka; 22nd August 2014 at 02:00 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Thank you for your reply. That case looks rather impressive. I actually forgot to install a screen protector, thank you for reminding me, I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll see if I can find that case locally, if not I'll see if I can order it online - I am not sure if they ship to Egypt, though, because most sellers on Amazon don't. Thanks again!

EDIT: I found one but I am not sure if it's the same as the one you linked: http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/slim-arm...rey-7066001/i/

http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/slim-arm...ack-7066006/i/

It looks rather similar, though, and the price is fair. I think I'll be placing an order.
HTC One M8
- VenomROM 2.2.0
- ElementalX 1.02
- TWRP 2.7.1.1

solracarevir
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarekElsakka View Post
Thank you for your reply. That case looks rather impressive. I actually forgot to install a screen protector, thank you for reminding me, I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll see if I can find that case locally, if not I'll see if I can order it online - I am not sure if they ship to Egypt, though, because most sellers on Amazon don't. Thanks again!

EDIT: I found one but I am not sure if it's the same as the one you linked: http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/slim-arm...rey-7066001/i/

http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/slim-arm...ack-7066006/i/

It looks rather similar, though, and the price is fair. I think I'll be placing an order.
I own one, and I have a love/hate relationship with it.

First thing first: The case is extremely attractive: everybody will ask you for it, and you can show it off to all your friends (mines are all in love with my phone just for the Dot View Case)

the fact that you can answer / hang the phone without opening the flip is very useful

The Bad: Typing with the case open is a real pain. There are occasions (when sending long text messages) that I found Myself removing the case, typing quickly the msg and putting the case back on.

the way the flip is designed makes it constantly trying to keeps its closed state. so if you are using the phone one handed you will find yourself constantly struggling with the case to keep it open

TarekElsakka
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
That's exactly why I hated the M7's double dip flip cover.. it just made typing with two hands a hassle, let alone with only one.
HTC One M8
- VenomROM 2.2.0
- ElementalX 1.02
- TWRP 2.7.1.1

brife
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarekElsakka View Post
I have been reading mixed reviews about the case and it's fairly expensive over in Egypt so I cannot really decide if I should buy it or not, and unfortunately there's no option of trying it beforehand.

One recent user said that it actually created a smudge/scratched his screen and that kind of scares me because I just bought the phone for a crap load of money and I don't want to scratch it. I have been a M7 user for almost two years and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. The reason I am hesitant about the Dot View is because it's a flip case and even though I bought the HTC Double Dip Flip case for M7 when I first got it with excitement, I ended up ditching it for a normal back cover about a week later because it's a pain as a daily-driver.

My M8 came with a cover inside the box (which I am assuming is standard with any M8) and it actually does a decent job but I am not a fan of rubber-feel cases and I prefer plastic ones. The only problem with back covers is that when my M7 accidentally fell of the table last week, its screen got shattered and I was very upset about it. I am pretty sure if I had the Double Dip Flip cover on, that wouldn't have happened.

Any information, thoughts, and advice are much appreciated.
I've never been one for cases on my phones, especially a phone as attractive as the M8. Having said that however I did get a dot view case as a part of a bundle when I got the M8 and I do find myself using the case most of the time. The reason is the case, in addition to being protective, is also functional. The M8 without a case is so smooth and slick (in every sense of the word) that I'm sure that I would have dropped by now if I wasn't using the dot-view case.