Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 50,441 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Review] Speck Candyshell Grip

Tip us?

Pure+
Old
(Last edited by Pure+; 5th May 2014 at 05:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Default [Review] Speck Candyshell Grip

Hey Guys,

Introduction - Let me start by saying that I DO NOT like cases. They are almost always either cheap, bulky, flimsy, or just nasty in the way they take away from a Phone's beauty. However, My HTC One M8 being brand new and me being super paranoid about damage on new phones, I decided to pick up a new case today. I ended up choosing the Speck Candyshell Grip case because it provides decent drop protection and excellent grip. I do not plan on this being an every day case. It will be used as a "when I need it" kind of case.

First Impressions Review - Speck has gotten a reputation for making high quality cases. They're Candyshell Grip series for the M8 is no exception. I provides just the right amount of protection without adding unnecessary bulk like some other Heavy Duty cases. The build quality is very good overall. Some parts, like around the ports and buttons, lack and plastic to support the TPU and seem a little flimsy. I can only think that Speck did this because any case they made with plastic support in those areas always ends up cracked or broken off. Whether this is an improvement on design or not is yet to be determined. Only time will tell. I honestly do not have much to say about the case at this point. It a well designed well built semi-rugged case. I cannot find any flaws... yet. I will come back and add a more in depth review after spending some time with the case. For now, I just have some pics to share...

Review (after spending some time with case) - After spending several days using this case, i can say that it performs extremely well. I have not dropped it once, so obviously the "grip" feature works well. It also makes using the phone with one hand extremely easy. Doesn't feel like it'll slip out of your hand when trying to reach the opposite side of the screen. Not many cases offer such grip. I really like the case. Only drawback I can see is once the weather gets chilly in 6 months, using this case with jeans could be very problematic. I am extremely impressed with every part of this case and I highly recommend it.

Oh and BTW I don't have any noticeable scratching on the back. This has been a long time problem with speck and I'm glad to say this case doesn't suffer form that drawback.

Link to case - Speck CandyShell Grip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	2719979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	2719980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2719981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0026.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	2719982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0027.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	2719990  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0028.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	2719991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	2719992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	2719995   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	2719999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	2720001  

The Following User Says Thank You to Pure+ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
It seems like a nice case but people say the back scratches way too easily. Is that true?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Pure+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post
It seems like a nice case but people say the back scratches way too easily. Is that true?

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Yeah that back did scratch fairly easy. That's the way it's always been with speck. But honestly what's worse, $30 caae or $750 phone??

Sent from my HTC M8

Pure+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by otariq View Post

Sent from my HTC One_M8
So after using the case for several days. No major scratching. Only a few micro scratches that you can only see at just the right angle in full lighting.

cpufrost
Old
Thanks Meter 87
The grip won't scratch nearly as bad because the grippy "fins" keep the glossy surface which scratches easily, off the table, etc.
It's a good case but not something you want to use if you plan on keeping the phone in your pocket. It's very hard to remove from a pants pocket while sitting down!

Pure+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpufrost View Post
The grip won't scratch nearly as bad because the grippy "fins" keep the glossy surface which scratches easily, off the table, etc.
It's a good case but not something you want to use if you plan on keeping the phone in your pocket. It's very hard to remove from a pants pocket while sitting down!
Lol, try impossible. You gotta like straighten yourself and then you do and end up lookin all down syndrome and ish

Sent from my HTC M8

jags_the1
Old
(Last edited by jags_the1; 7th May 2014 at 04:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure+ View Post
Yeah that back did scratch fairly easy. That's the way it's always been with speck. But honestly what's worse, $30 case or $750 phone??

Sent from my HTC M8
but honestly there are similar case providing similar protection (maybe except the grip part) and cost <<$25 and definitely dont scratch that easily.
(http://www.spigen.com/brands/htc/htc...lim-armor.html)

which is better <<25$ or 30$ case which scratches preety darn easily?

i wont recommend this case to anyone.
HTC One

Pure+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags_the1 View Post
but honestly there are similar case providing similar protection (maybe except the grip part) and cost <<$25 and definitely dont scratch that easily.
(http://www.spigen.com/brands/htc/htc...lim-armor.html)

which is better <<25$ or 30$ case which scratches preety darn easily?

i wont recommend this case to anyone.
If you had cared to finish reading you would've seen the multiple places in the thread that clearly state the fact that the case didn't scratch easily. On fact mine don't scratch aft at all other than the most minor of microscratches.

Sent from my HTC M8

juntjoo
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I've got one. Like it a lot. Everything you've read is true. I could care less about the scratches, and haven't even looked as the case is dark, but that what a case if for, scratches. And each scratch is a reminder of the wonderful investment you made. And I've also got a wireless receiver comfortably in there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

OGhoul
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I had a Candyshell Grip on my M7 (and have one on my iPad Mini). I currently have a Spigen Slim Armor on my M8. Looking at your pics, the Candyshell Grip looks to be considerably thinner than the Slim Armor. Kind of makes me want one.

I have dropped my M8 with my Slim Armor. More like, threw it at the concrete, actually. I was pulling it from my pocket at the gas pump, bobbled it, and ended up whipping it at the ground in my attempt to save it. The case took some roadrash to the front lip, but I'm happy to say that it totally saved my phone. And the roadrash has actually become less noticeable over time.

I wonder how well the Speck would have done. I don't mean that to be condescending or to hijack your thread; I legitimately am curious.

That brings me to my next question.

Every, and I mean every, regular Candyshell I've owned has ended up doing the "pencil eraser" effect with the rubber. These weren't bootlegs, unless Speck themselves were selling bootlegs. My two Grip cases haven't seemed to have done this. Can you tell if yours is or is not doing this? The quick way to tell is to rub your finger along the lip. If it rubs off or even feels like a typical pencil eraser, it's gonna rub off.

Thanks!
HTC One M8 Gunmetal
AT&T, Sunshine S-Off, ARHD 10.1, TWRP 2.7.1
Other devices: Chromecast | iPad Mini 16gb, black, iOS 7.0.6 jailbroken | iPad, 16gb, iOS 5.0.3 jailbroken | Apple TV 2 | HTC Liberty, CM10

Previous phones:
iPhone 5S (x3), jailbroken | HTC One M7 Silver, S-Off, ARHD | iPhone 4S, jailbroken | iPhone 4, jailbroken | iPhone 3G, jailbroken
HTC Mogul