GPS Hardware Fix after Teardown

OP Macropoutsis

7th February 2015, 05:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN
Thanks Meter: 483

738 posts
More
I'm posting this as a guide to repairing your GPS at the hardware level after a teardown. So you decided to replace your broken screen, or put on some fancy back cover on your M8. Or even sent in your phone for repair just get it back with no GPS lock. You notice your phone sees satellites but can't get a fix/lock because the signal is to low. Simple fix. I've attached some images to help explain the process.

First you need to remove the back cover. Just the back cover. (This is a nice tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsZLl_JzwA )
Second. Locate ITEM #1 at the top of the phone shown in the attached pictures. This is a copper metal tab that bends easily. My guess, this get bent during teardown.
Third. Locate ITEM #2 on the back cover shown in the attached pictures. This is a contact point for ITEM #1.
Fourth. Bend ITEM #1 so it contacts ITEM #2 when you reassemble the back cover. That's it.
Fifth. Download GPS Statues from the market and test your GPS.
Sixth. Hit the thanks button and enjoy a beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_213205.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	3153709   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_213219.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	3153710   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_213148.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	3153711  
Last edited by LenAsh; 7th February 2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Tidied title and body
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macropoutsis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2015, 02:52 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
More
Thumbs up thank you
very nice idea and saved my day/week/month.... i tried everything regarding software, firmware and rom but nothing would help.
at the same time when i flashed to another rom i tried to fix my speaker and i had to remove the speaker cover.... i never thought of a hardware problem but my GPS is functioning well again now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golf3-2.8 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2015, 02:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN
Thanks Meter: 483

738 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf3-2.8

very nice idea and saved my day/week/month.... i tried everything regarding software, firmware and rom but nothing would help.
at the same time when i flashed to another rom i tried to fix my speaker and i had to remove the speaker cover.... i never thought of a hardware problem but my GPS is functioning well again now.

Glad to help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps antenna, gps fix
Previous Thread Next Thread