FORUMS

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

[GUIDE] How to root m8_dugl (M8 Dual SIM)

Thanks Meter: 19

By cimnine, Junior Member on 28th July 2014, 11:08 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi

As I struggled a bit, here's how to root the HTC One M8 Dual SIM.

Disclaimer

As always, if you **** your phone up, it's not my fault. Don't blame me. Further, I will not answer any questions about this. Please help yourself.

Please use the "Thanks" ( ) button if you just want to say "Thank you" or "Great" or "I wanna marry you".

Prerequisites

Warning

Make sure you have a "m8_dugl" device:
Reboot your device to the bootloader (POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN). If it reads there something different than "m8_dugl", then this guide is not for you!

Steps
  1. Download the custom recovery "TWRP" from here: https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/Capta...)/ALL/Recovery (See hint below)
  2. Download "UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip" from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
  3. Copy "UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip" to you phone's internal SD
  4. --> Until now no harm has been done to you device but DEV UNLOCK. So this would also be a good time to do a BACKUP! #JustSaying
  5. Open a command prompt and navigate to your fastboot executable.
  6. Put your phone into fastboot mode: POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then press POWER+VOLUME_DOWN. You see some options soon. Use the volume buttons to navigate, the power button to perform the selected action. Select FASTBOOT and press the POWER button.
  7. Connect you phone to the PC
  8. Type "./fastboot boot path/to/where/you/saved/TWRP_Recovery_x.x.x.x_M8_CPTB.img"
    • If boot does not work, you can flash the recovery to your phone. But remember: When you do a stock update, you must revert back to a stock recovery!
    • Do flash the custom recovert, type "./fastboot flash recovery path/to/where/you/saved/TWRP_Recovery_x.x.x.x_M8_CPTB.img"
  9. Touch "Install"
  10. Select the "UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip" file
  11. Swipe to start
  12. Touch Reboot System.
  13. You're phone should be rooted.

** Hint **
If the newest TWRP does not work, try a different one.
If none of them work, try the official one: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/225
If the official TWRP does not work for you, you can try the following one, but it's rather old: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...1/post54258731

Cheers,
Chris

PS: @donmarkoni provided some resources that might be useful to you. See his post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12

Changelog:
[2015-01-18] Updated parts that do not work anymore. Made version numbers generic.
[2014-10-20] a) I have been hinted that the official TWRP should work for the m8_dugl as well. b) The current version of SuperSU is v2.14 and works well. c) @donmarkoni provided some more resources worth mentioning.
Last edited by cimnine; 18th February 2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Time goes by. Stuff happens. Some are born, others died.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to cimnine For This Useful Post: [ View ]

30th July 2014, 11:10 AM |#2  
Flag Bonn, Germany
Thanks Meter: 305

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimnine

Hi

As I struggled a bit, here's how to root the HTC One M8 Dual SIM.

Disclaimer

As always, if you **** your phone up, it's not my fault. Don't blame me. Further, I will not answer any questions about this. Please help yourself.

Prerequisites

Note: Reboot your device to the bootloader (POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN). If it reads there something different than "m8_dugl", then this guide is not for you!

Steps
  1. Download the custom recovery from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...1/post54258731 (It must be made for the m8_dugl, the 'normal' m8 recoveries from TWRP/CWM do not work (yet)!)
  2. Download "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
  3. Copy "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" to you phone's internal SD
  4. Open a command prompt and navigate to your fastboot executable.
  5. Put your phone into fastboot mode: POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN. Now you see some options. Use the volume buttons to navigate, the power button to perform the selected action. (Just select FASTBOOT and press the POWER button.)
  6. Connect you phone to the PC
  7. Type "./fastboot boot path/to/where/you/saved/m8-dual-twrp.img"
  8. --> Until now no harm has been done to you device but DEV UNLOCK. So this would also be a good time to do a BACKUP! #JustSaying
  9. Touch "Install"
  10. Select the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" file
  11. Swipe to start
  12. Touch Reboot System.
  13. You should be rooted.

I did not test that yet, but this method should not prevent you from receiving OTAs. But I won't vouch for that.

Cheers,
Chris

Thank you Chris,

step by step guides are always helpful, as the answer a lot of questions about the whole procedure. So Iīm at least rooted now. Letīs see if OTAīs will work, but they can also be installed via adb. I prefer having a custom recovery for installs and making backups from data, so this solution is the one I need (and always used before btw).
Thank you !

Guido
30th July 2014, 12:00 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 35

Donate to Me
More
thanks alot i hope xda opening section for us HTC-M8 Dual Sim Owners
The Following User Says Thank You to kakyyabata For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 07:47 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
[deleted]
4th August 2014, 03:16 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidogsbn

Thank you Chris,

step by step guides are always helpful, as the answer a lot of questions about the whole procedure. So Iīm at least rooted now. Letīs see if OTAīs will work, but they can also be installed via adb. I prefer having a custom recovery for installs and making backups from data, so this solution is the one I need (and always used before btw).
Thank you !

Guido

Hi
I hope you will tell us if the OTA will work.
By the way, do you know of unlocking the bootloader with HTC Dev create any issue for the future OTA?
Cheers
TBH

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using Tapatalk
5th August 2014, 09:57 AM |#6  
Flag Bonn, Germany
Thanks Meter: 305

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighunt

Hi
I hope you will tell us if the OTA will work.
By the way, do you know of unlocking the bootloader with HTC Dev create any issue for the future OTA?
Cheers
TBH

With re-locked bootloader and stock recovery OTA will work
5th August 2014, 03:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidogsbn

With re-locked bootloader and stock recovery OTA will work

Thanks
I'm still with the stock recovery
TBH

25th August 2014, 03:04 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Stuck in a boot loop
Hi,

thanks for the guide and it worked perectly. No problems all day long after rooting the phone.
But since this morning I am stuck in a boot loop! Already tried factory reset, that works at first, after the phone is loading some updates, it is running into a boot loop
Is there anything I can do?

Rgds
Volker

Edit: Updated SuperSu, Works again...
Last edited by vstrauss; 26th August 2014 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Update:
28th September 2014, 03:27 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
m8 update ?
any1 knows if we are ever gonna get updates like regular m8 ? , i am still waiting on the root thing hoping they will update ,
any1 have any information or should i go ahead and root ? , is the performance better after rooting and removing all that bloatware or no significant difference ?
last question plz , does xposed module work with this phone and sense 6 toolbox use in android revolution hd rom ?

i tried asking million times here and and htc and called them and chatted online with them and all says they have no information and only 1 source ( august-sept ) under testing ,, so thats why i am asking plz if any1 knows anything , or can u advice me what to do ?!! cuz my phone sucks compared to my friends regular updated stock m8 in every aspect , sound , performance , battery , benchmarks , ......etc
Last edited by aymanzz; 28th September 2014 at 03:33 AM.
28th September 2014, 08:16 AM |#10  
Flag Salerno
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanzz

any1 knows if we are ever gonna get updates like regular m8 ? , i am still waiting on the root thing hoping they will update ,
any1 have any information or should i go ahead and root ? , is the performance better after rooting and removing all that bloatware or no significant difference ?
last question plz , does xposed module work with this phone and sense 6 toolbox use in android revolution hd rom ?

i tried asking million times here and and htc and called them and chatted online with them and all says they have no information and only 1 source ( august-sept ) under testing ,, so thats why i am asking plz if any1 knows anything , or can u advice me what to do ?!! cuz my phone sucks compared to my friends regular updated stock m8 in every aspect , sound , performance , battery , benchmarks , ......etc

I read somewhere that our dual sim should get directly Android L and until then no update. Xposed module, sense 6 and Wanam Xsense are working good, of course u need to be rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to Stepp For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, m8 dual sim, m8_dugl, root
Previous Thread Next Thread