Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to root m8_dugl (M8 Dual SIM)

Tip us?

cimnine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Post [GUIDE] How to root m8_dugl (M8 Dual SIM)

Hi

As I struggled a bit, here's how to root the HTC One M8 Dual SIM.

Disclaimer

As always, if you **** your phone up, it's not my fault. Don't blame me. Further, I will not answer any questions about this. Please help yourself.

Prerequisites

Note: Reboot your device to the bootloader (POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN). If it reads there something different than "m8_dugl", then this guide is not for you!

Steps
  1. Download the custom recovery from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...1/post54258731 (It must be made for the m8_dugl, the 'normal' m8 recoveries from TWRP/CWM do not work (yet)!)
  2. Download "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
  3. Copy "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" to you phone's internal SD
  4. Open a command prompt and navigate to your fastboot executable.
  5. Put your phone into fastboot mode: POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN. Now you see some options. Use the volume buttons to navigate, the power button to perform the selected action. (Just select FASTBOOT and press the POWER button.)
  6. Connect you phone to the PC
  7. Type "./fastboot boot path/to/where/you/saved/m8-dual-twrp.img"
  8. --> Until now no harm has been done to you device but DEV UNLOCK. So this would also be a good time to do a BACKUP! #JustSaying
  9. Touch "Install"
  10. Select the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" file
  11. Swipe to start
  12. Touch Reboot System.
  13. You should be rooted.

I did not test that yet, but this method should not prevent you from receiving OTAs. But I won't vouch for that.

Cheers,
Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cimnine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guidogsbn
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimnine View Post
Hi

As I struggled a bit, here's how to root the HTC One M8 Dual SIM.

Disclaimer

As always, if you **** your phone up, it's not my fault. Don't blame me. Further, I will not answer any questions about this. Please help yourself.

Prerequisites

Note: Reboot your device to the bootloader (POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN). If it reads there something different than "m8_dugl", then this guide is not for you!

Steps
  1. Download the custom recovery from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-...1/post54258731 (It must be made for the m8_dugl, the 'normal' m8 recoveries from TWRP/CWM do not work (yet)!)
  2. Download "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
  3. Copy "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" to you phone's internal SD
  4. Open a command prompt and navigate to your fastboot executable.
  5. Put your phone into fastboot mode: POWER+VOLUME_UP until the screen blacks out, then POWER+VOLUME_DOWN. Now you see some options. Use the volume buttons to navigate, the power button to perform the selected action. (Just select FASTBOOT and press the POWER button.)
  6. Connect you phone to the PC
  7. Type "./fastboot boot path/to/where/you/saved/m8-dual-twrp.img"
  8. --> Until now no harm has been done to you device but DEV UNLOCK. So this would also be a good time to do a BACKUP! #JustSaying
  9. Touch "Install"
  10. Select the "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip" file
  11. Swipe to start
  12. Touch Reboot System.
  13. You should be rooted.

I did not test that yet, but this method should not prevent you from receiving OTAs. But I won't vouch for that.

Cheers,
Chris
Thank you Chris,

step by step guides are always helpful, as the answer a lot of questions about the whole procedure. So I´m at least rooted now. Let´s see if OTA´s will work, but they can also be installed via adb. I prefer having a custom recovery for installs and making backups from data, so this solution is the one I need (and always used before btw).
Thank you !

Guido
●●HTC ONE M7 ● ROM MaximusHD 44.0.0 ● S-Off ● KernelElementalX-m7-17 ●TWRP 2.6.3.3 ●Apex launcher pro ●
●●HTC One M8 Dual Sim ●ROM - Stock ●S-Off - Sunshine + HTC unlock + SU root + m8-dual-twrp 2.7.1.0● Apex Launcher + Xposed ●
●●Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 ● ROM - Gunthermic Base Debloated T320XAR1ANG1 ● Touch Recovery TWRP 2.7.1.0 ● Kernel Stock ● ● microSD 32 GB Class 10 ●

THANKS BUTTON ?

kakyyabata
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
thanks alot i hope xda opening section for us HTC-M8 Dual Sim Owners

DJ_Casper
Old
Thanks Meter 4
[deleted]

thebighunt
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidogsbn View Post
Thank you Chris,

step by step guides are always helpful, as the answer a lot of questions about the whole procedure. So I´m at least rooted now. Let´s see if OTA´s will work, but they can also be installed via adb. I prefer having a custom recovery for installs and making backups from data, so this solution is the one I need (and always used before btw).
Thank you !

Guido
Hi
I hope you will tell us if the OTA will work.
By the way, do you know of unlocking the bootloader with HTC Dev create any issue for the future OTA?
Cheers
TBH

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using Tapatalk

guidogsbn
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighunt View Post
Hi
I hope you will tell us if the OTA will work.
By the way, do you know of unlocking the bootloader with HTC Dev create any issue for the future OTA?
Cheers
TBH

With re-locked bootloader and stock recovery OTA will work
●●HTC ONE M7 ● ROM MaximusHD 44.0.0 ● S-Off ● KernelElementalX-m7-17 ●TWRP 2.6.3.3 ●Apex launcher pro ●
●●HTC One M8 Dual Sim ●ROM - Stock ●S-Off - Sunshine + HTC unlock + SU root + m8-dual-twrp 2.7.1.0● Apex Launcher + Xposed ●
●●Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 ● ROM - Gunthermic Base Debloated T320XAR1ANG1 ● Touch Recovery TWRP 2.7.1.0 ● Kernel Stock ● ● microSD 32 GB Class 10 ●

THANKS BUTTON ?

thebighunt
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidogsbn View Post
With re-locked bootloader and stock recovery OTA will work
Thanks
I'm still with the stock recovery
TBH

vstrauss
Old
(Last edited by vstrauss; 26th August 2014 at 02:30 AM.) Reason: Update:
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stuck in a boot loop

Hi,

thanks for the guide and it worked perectly. No problems all day long after rooting the phone.
But since this morning I am stuck in a boot loop! Already tried factory reset, that works at first, after the phone is loading some updates, it is running into a boot loop
Is there anything I can do?

Rgds
Volker

Edit: Updated SuperSu, Works again...

Tags
guide, m8 dual sim, m8_dugl, root