[GUIDE]Redeem the Free 100GB Google Drive Promo if you were unable to...

Search This thread

fallnSaint

May 30, 2011
Denver "ish"
Quick question, does this actually lock the device or does it simply change the unlock flag? If it does lock it, what it's the best way to unlock again?

Sent from my M8 Pro

maarawoe

Feb 8, 2012
Prague
Quick question, does this actually lock the device or does it simply change the unlock flag? If it does lock it, what it's the best way to unlock again?

Sent from my M8 Pro
Best is to rewrite the flag - there are 2 threads - one for remowing the tampered flag and second for locking the bootloader.
Once you are s-off you can lock and unlock the bootloader how many times you want using simple commands.

Reactions: fallnSaint

chegeluuv

Sep 5, 2013
Nairobi
Thanks for the guide. I'm on S-ON so I first decided to try HTC CHAT Support and they activated my 100gb in like 5 mins using an email link which was so helpful. I'm sure I'll get round to testing what you've detailed sooner or later.

fallnSaint

May 30, 2011
Denver "ish"
Best is to rewrite the flag - there are 2 threads - one for remowing the tampered flag and second for locking the bootloader.
Once you are s-off you can lock and unlock the bootloader how many times you want using simple commands.

Thanks for clarifying, I'm already s-off and it works perfectly.

I tried HTC Chat and received an email link that sent me to Google but it claimed I already received the storage. re-lock was the only way to get it.

Sent from my M8 Pro

LeeC

Jun 26, 2008
Ottawa
Thanks for clarifying, I'm already s-off and it works perfectly.

I tried HTC Chat and received an email link that sent me to Google but it claimed I already received the storage. re-lock was the only way to get it.

Sent from my M8 Pro

I'm s-off with unlocked bootloader and the google link worked fine. Now I have 100G:good:

And I got UNLIMITED space from my university alumni account :D

Last edited:

gopin

Feb 28, 2012
Miami
Just got my link from HTC support. No need to modify my unlocked bootloader, s-off phone.
Thanks for the guide though. Was about to go with it if HTC had not given me a link.

Edit: bootloader relock nesessary. it did not work with unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Miramontes

Oct 10, 2013
Chihuahua
OnePlus 7T
Code redeemed before unlocking

I redeemed the code before unlocked and had no trouble, it gave me error after I installed the first custom rom but the space was already available on my google drive. :D

downwiththebanksters

May 28, 2011
Taiwan
I just used tunnelbear (just to make sure no glitches) to log into the HTC support chat app on the US HTC site from Taiwan, told the guy I couldn't get the upgrade. We chatted about my christmas present (and Oppo 105D) and I simply gave him my IMEI, and an old landline # from our Palm Beach condo and I got the email with 100GB. He never asked about unlocked bootloaders.

lenthele

Nov 24, 2010
Thx, worked liked charm!! I'm on the GPE 5.0.1 Stock Rom (Fully converted).I Removed the "Tampered" Logo, "Locked" the bootloader and uninstalled the Google Drive updates. No issues there :)

Santa-Claus

Jan 5, 2010
Berlin
worked great - even without going back to stock. I am on ARHD 22.1 and stayed there. I only followed the steps to remove the "tampered", locked again the bootloader, uninstalled the google drive app and .... bang - redeemed the 100 GB :p
Thx for this great tutorial :eek:

Reactions: lenthele

khan1989

Aug 19, 2011
London
Worked Like a Charm

When I obtained S-OFF I cleared the TAMPERED LOGO there and then, but left my boot loader unlocked.

Followed your guide and locked my bootloader and was able to get my 100 GB! Currently on 125 GB NOW!

I'm on 5.0.1 GPE Rooted with the SD write mod applied.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-24-01-16-25.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-24-01-16-25.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:

Op3a

Dec 25, 2007
Braga
When I obtained S-OFF I cleared the TAMPERED LOGO there and then, but left my boot loader unlocked.

Followed your guide and locked my bootloader and was able to get my 100 GB! Currently on 125 GB NOW!

I'm on 5.0.1 GPE Rooted with the SD write mod applied.

Thanks!

The offer is for a limited time, or you will have the 100gb forever?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Just did this and all I had to do was go to HTC Chat, give the rep my model, carrier & serial number and I received the email link in less than a min.

But you follow the first page guide right?

The offer is for a limited time, or you will have the 100gb forever?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

But you follow the first page guide right?

I believe the promo is for 2 years and no. I didn't follow the guide. I'm still S-Off, unlocked. I flashed firmware with No Red Text but did that months ago and my Hboot still says Unlocked. They didn't even ask any of that. I went to this site http://www.htc.com/us/contact/chat/ right from my phone, told them I missed the Google Drive promo, they asked my serial number & a minute later I get the email link. No going back to stock or flashing anything extra. I was running LeeDroid at the time.

Last edited:

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
If you relock bootloader, then how do you unlocked once you get the promo?

FrickDude

Jun 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the guide. I started the first couple steps and decicded to try live chatting real quick with HTC before doing all this work. I was able to get the 100 GB from the live chatting. I'm sorry that you were unable to but it worked for me. Thanks for all your work in creating the walkthrough. Here's how I went about it.

Live chatted with them HERE
Filled out info and gave IMEI
they verified that the promotional offer wasn't listed on your devices Google Drive>Settings>Upgrade Storage
Then they fill out a ticket and you should receive an email with a link to redeem the offer in.
It all worked out for me this way!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Free Google Drive space promotion was recently increased from 65GB to 100GB. So, there is more reason than ever to get this great offer.

If however, like me, you rooted your phone and found out you couldn't redeem it... and also read some people claiming that HTC wouldn't provide a code to redeem the offer because you had unlocked the bootloader... Follow the steps below to get this offer without dealing at all with HTC.

There are two primary obstacles to redeeming this offer. Since you rooted your phone, you have unlocked the bootloader. Even if you have relocked it using fastboot oem lock, this will still prevent the Drive App from displaying the offer screeen. The problem is that when you use fastboot oem lock, you are changing the status of the bootloader to ***RELOCKED*** . What you need is a factory default bootloader lock, which displays as ***LOCKED*** on the hBoot screen.

Plus, if you attain S-Off after unlocking your bootloader following HTCDev, it is very possible you will have a
    *** TAMPERED ***
    banner on your hboot screen. This must be removed as well.

HUGE thanks to Scotty1223 who first shared the methods for removing the TAMPERED banner and locking the bootloader to factory default several months ago. I am just consolidating those steps plus some other minor info into a sequential series of steps in one place for convenience.

These steps presume you have ADB installed, and have not changed your CID.

STEPS to GET TO STOCK FOR PURPOSES OF THE GOOGLE DRIVE PROMO.

1. Make a Nandroid backup using TWRP or CWM.

2. Get S-Off.

Use Sunshine or some other method to get S-Off. Link to Sunshine S-Off apk

3. Remove ***TAMPERED*** Banner.

If you have a ***TAMPERED*** banner on your hboot screen, follow the steps below (thanks to Scotty1223 for sharing this method). ADB must be installed!!! You can go to the first step of this thread to install a compact version

Connect your phone to your PC. Open up a terminal (as administrator in Windows...or as root in Linux) and cd to the adb directory (which contains fastboot, etc.).

Enter the following:

adb devices
    You should see your device's serial number appear on the screen... If so, you are all good. If not, please check your ADB install..... there are many many guides to getting this set up.

Now we are going into the ADB Shell, which is like a terminal emulator from the OS on your phone. Enter the following:

adb shell
    to enter the shell. You will be presented with a prompt... most likely it will be

shell@htc_m8: / $

Enter the following command to get root in ADB

su

[Very important note: You need this for superuser privileges on your phone... Make sure to wait for a prompt that looks like the following:
    root@htc_m8:/ #.

(if you are getting something different, don't worry... Just make sure there is a '#' at the end of the prompt)
    If it hangs and only shows the first prompt like this:
    shell@htc_m8: / $ <== note the '$' at the end
    Then hit return in your terminal window on your PC (whether in windows or linux). It may exit automatically from the shell.
    If this happens, it is because you have not used adb shell yet and have SuperSU (or Superuser) on default settings, which is to prompt the first time an app asks for root privileges. You should see a toast/dialog box on your phone that requests superuser permissions for "ADB Shell". Grant them, and then enter adb shell again from the terminal window on your PC. Now the root prompt (in red above) should show up in the terminal window.]

Now copy the line below and paste it into the terminal window on your PC at the root prompt:
    echo -ne '\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=5314564

You should get something like this in response:

ock/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=5314564 <
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1 bytes transferred in 0.007 secs (142 bytes/sec)

If not, double check that you copied the above line correctly, that there are no spaces before the 'echo', and enter it again.

Then enter:

adb reboot bootloader

This will boot into hboot. Confirm that the ***TAMPERED*** is in fact not showing on the hboot screen.

Back in your terminal on your PC, enter:

fastboot reboot
    to reboot the phone.

4. Lock the bootloader.

To lock the bootloader the correct way, you must follow the steps below. As far as I have determined, it is the same for all carriers of the HTC One M8. Again, a big thanks to Scotty1223 for this very cool route to locking the bootloader.

Like step 3, above, we are going into the ADB Shell, which is like a terminal emulator from the OS on your phone. If you do not have ADB installed on your PC, there are ample resources all over the internet for getting this installed...

Enter the following:

adb shell

to enter the shell. You will be presented with a prompt... most likely it will be

shell@htc_m8: / $

Enter the following command to get root in ADB

su
    [IMPORTANT NOTE: See warning under Step 3 about getting a root prompt]

Then copy and paste this into your terminal on your PC:

echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796

And lastly:

exit
    (exit a second time if you need to to get back to a normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader
    Confirm that your bootloader shows a ***LOCKED*** banner (and not ***RELOCKED***).

Back in your terminal on your PC, enter:

fastboot reboot
    to reboot the phone

5. Getting to Stock.

****If you have NOT touched the stock Rom at all, nor deleted any system apps (essentially you have merely rooted and flashed a stock recovery) you can skip this step (no need to perform either step 5a or 5b). Just Reboot and finish with step 7.

To get the Google Drive storage you need to be running near to stock.. This means you need the stock firmware, and the stock Sense Rom (including all system applications). Many people will not have to worry about firmware or system applications. However, if you switched to an AOSP/AOKP Rom or a different kernel, then you do. Depending on your situation, follow step 5a OR step 5b.

5a. If you have switched to an AOSP/AOKP Rom, and are unsure about your firmware being correct and/or stock, an easy way to get all of the components which make up full stock (stock rom, stock firmware, stock hboot) is to flash an RUU from your carrier (see M8 forum for your carrier...there should be a roll-up thread with links and instructions to flash an RUU. NOTE: For anyone reading this thread that somehow managed to lock the bootloader without S-off, It is highly recommended NOT TO FLASH AN RUU WITH BOOTLOADER LOCKED AND S-ON. You must have S-OFF to flash an RUU with a locked bootloader).​

5b. If you don't have to worry about firmware, but have deleted several system apps or otherwise altered the stock Rom, then you should restore a stock nandroid or find and flash a stock Rom. You should again go to the HTC One M8 forum for your carrier to get these items. If restoring a stock nandroid backup, make sure you have made a backup (as instructed in Step 1) so you have the right folder structure (whether you are using TWRP stock nandroid or a CWM stock nandroid) on the SD in which to place the stock nandroid.​

6. Reboot.

7. REDEEM OFFER!

Go to the Play Store and uninstall any and all Google Drive updates (I did not have any, but in some cases Drive may have updated while you were rooted). After uninstalling any Drive updates, you should be able to go into the Drive app, and see the promo screen immediately and redeem the promo. If you do not see any screen with the offer, select "Product Tour" from the dropdown menu and go through the various "tour" screens. At the end it will show you the offer—it will probably be for 65GB. After you accept the offer however, it will say "an extra 50GB has been added to your Google Drive storage (so 65GB + 50GB = 115GB)

Again a big thank you to Scott1223 for the methods which allow us to go back and get this offer!!!
    ....and also thank you to jshamlet, kabuts, rcharliesam, phil.culler for helping me in some other threads!!!!
    And exocetdj for his awesome help!!!!!!!

Please comment!
    Thx, worked liked charm!! I'm on the GPE 5.0.1 Stock Rom (Fully converted).I Removed the "Tampered" Logo, "Locked" the bootloader and uninstalled the Google Drive updates. No issues there :)
    HERE is is

They are about the same thing, may be better if everything is in the same place. have a word with the OP and see what he thinks then ask a mod, they should be able to help out :)

That's just a thread debating ways some people were able to get it... Posts point to threads to lock the bootloader, and other posts state the tampered banner needs to be removed but no links.... It's a mess for anyone that doesn't understand what all needs to be done, nor how to do it.

That's why I compiled the thread here...it takes all the endless discussions, and just condenses it into a straightforward sequence of steps to get it.
    That's just a thread debating ways some people were able to get it... Posts point to threads to lock the bootloader, and other posts state the tampered banner needs to be removed but no links.... It's a mess for anyone that doesn't understand what all needs to be done, nor how to do it.

That's why I compiled the thread here...it takes all the endless discussions, and just condenses it into a straightforward sequence of steps to get it.

Fair point, as u were soldier!!!! :D:good:
    Just got my 100gb free through HTC chat. Very easy just needed my name phone number and email address :good:

Congratulations!
    +100GB
    added for 2 years
    Go to Google Drive

But this guide is very much appreciated i was just hoping I wouldn't have to go this route. Thank you very much for taking the time to share