How to fix HTC One M8 camera issue

Search This thread

snake4fun

Nov 21, 2008
I have used this kind of toothpaste and now everything is ok with the camera!
e328e6fe87b5b617c807a7340796d1e0.jpg

Garridon

Apr 30, 2012
Anybody with a sprint m8 able to send it in with it s-off or rooted? Can you unroot and s-on?

Learner00

Aug 29, 2014
Use toothpaste

I applied a little bit toothpaste and cleaned the front camera with the round edges of a credit card. Now the chemical layer has gone off. Do I need to add any extra protection to my lens?

Attachments

• IMG-20141015-WA0015_1.jpg
    IMG-20141015-WA0015_1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 720

BYOBret

Jul 5, 2011
Temecula
Nokia 8.3 5G
Flux Remover

I just removed the scratched coating from my camera lens using Flux Remover and a cotton swab. Came out real clean, cannot even tell there was a coating to begin with. :good:
I can see clearly now, the haze is gone. Took less than 1 minute btw.

theandies

I used the toothpaste/q-tip method after discovering a few small scratches. Worked like a charm and it gives your phone that minty fresh feeling.
I chased it with 90% rubbing alcohol just to clean any residual toothpaste off. It's been about a month and I have not noticed anymore scratches.

D

Darth

If someone has the answer to this, that would be great, as I'm going to send in my phone to get it repaired.
It's out of your control anyway. But I know this...

I had my M8 a month and had to wipe the film off the camera with toothpaste. Unrelated, I had screen lift... Due to my bezel turning out to be warped. Sent it in, got same phone back.... New bezel, and therefore new camera lens it seems... And it's been two months and not a mark on my new lens. So seems like the newer bezel has a tougher film. Cause I look after it the same. But the original scratched up anyway... Even in my otterbox. And this time it's still flawless.

That or there isn't one. Lol

MarylandCookie

May 13, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Maybe it'll be a good idea for everyone who has these symptoms to include the build date from their serial number.
For example, my SN starts: SH49Rxxxxxxx
The following breaks down what each part indicates:
Code:
HTYMDAABBBBB

HT = Vendor HTC--> Hsinchu, Taiwan or SH = Shanghai, China
Y = Year (3 = 2013, 4 = 2014)
M = Month (hex 1...C = 1 - 12 months)
D = Day (hex 1...9A..Z = 1 - 31 days)
AA = Part Code
BBBBB : Identification Number (decimal)

Therefore mine will be:
SH = Shanghai (China)
4 = 2014
9 = September
R = 24

Days go from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, Z. with Day Z representing day 31.

Therefore the build date for mine is 24th September 2014 Shanghai China.

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
Finally took my coating off with toothpaste and qtip. Only problem is that when I finished I managed to get what looks like a smear in the corner of the other side of the lens cover. While pictures are fine and it doesn't affect because it's the corner, I say be careful when applying pressure. I honestly wasn't pressing down hard with the qtip but somehow a smudge wound up on the other side of the lens cover. Don't think I can do anything about that.

tclocki

May 14, 2013
What I did on my second m8 (my first one got really scratched pretty bad) was I cut out a cheap screen protector to cover the central part of the camera. Its whats important. It doesnt affect image quality at all, as long as of course there's no bubbles or anything once you've applied it. Now I dont need to worry about it scratching. If it peels off, its very easy to replace.

Mariborcan

Jul 14, 2011
I have tried it with toothpaste and I removed the coating of but I noticed I have a scratch on my main lens. Should I keep rubbing it or should I quit? Because around the lens is the old coating that I still haven't removed so I dunno if the coating is so thick or what? Any idea any one? If I try the process again the cleaning cloth gets dirty ....

1. Picture of cleaning it off with toothpaste ....

2. And the result... The scratch is not that visible on picture :/

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 994

clax6

Jun 13, 2011
After my problem with a smeared lense and cleaning it with toothpaste I've been experiencing glare when taking photos in sunlight and seeing as I had rooted my phone and couldn't get it to update due to unlocking my bootloader ect I decided to send it back to htc to get it repaired. I've just had a text to say it's been fixed and ready to collect so I will report back later with the outcome

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It would still be great to see some shots after one of the methods posted if anyone can. I'm wondering like @clax6 mentioned above about sending the device to HTC for repair, after doing one of the DIY methods posted. Would HTC replace lens cover if the user already attempted to remove the coating or would they consider that voiding warranty.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

there's my before and after... I found that pencil eraser does the job best for me.
    Here's a before and after :

DGAHoLx.jpg

WL2Cjo4.jpg
    I followed a guide and used a tiny amount of Brasso on the end of a cotton bud, it's like the phone's brand new again. Like you, I'm concerned I've removed something which should be there but the camera was unusable prior to doing this. Mine was bought in April, has been in a case, screen protector applied since day 1, handled with constant, real care but the scratches on the lens were something else!

Pictures of the lens pre clean here and also 3 very quick shots from the phone pre and 3 post clean... Was in a rush so had no artistic quality to them whatsoever!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94197906@N02/sets/72157645558003205/

same problem here...
    My original M8 suffered from the infamous cloudy camera. I got it replaced by T-Mobile, and it's been maybe three months now and the replacement M8 did the same. My buddies M8 started to do the same thing about a month ago, and he used Zaino Wax to buff out the camera cloudyness away.

I noticed yesterday that mine was doing the same thing again when I tried to take a picture and it wasn't focusing. Tried to clean it, and at first I just thought it was dirty. Picture wasn't important, so I ignored it. Then last night I went to get a drink with a buddy of mine, and tried to take a picture, and the camera wasn't focusing. Tried to clean it again, and that's when I noticed the cloudy camera again.

So I woke up this morning, found some turtle wax, put some on a terry cloth, rubbed a little on the lens, let it dry for a couple of minutes, and then buffed it off. Sure enough, it started to take some of the cloudyness away. So I did it again about three more times, and now the cloudyness is down to the edges. I was excited that it worked, that I ran over to my laptop to make this thread.

I was thinking about getting another replacement, but this is a better alternative for me. I don't want to be setting up my phone all over again every few months for the same issue.

This is what I used.

Turtle_Wax_T-123R_16_Oz_Super_Hard_Shell_Car_Wax.jpg
    Here's a before and after :

DGAHoLx.jpg

WL2Cjo4.jpg
    Wasn't aware of that to be honest but thanks for the update, what did they say to you regarding this issue specifically?

Cheers...

I said that the coating on the lens was rubbing off and there is a lot of discussion online about it, so its not just mine. The HTC rep said "yeah we know, we had a meeting about it today, just send it in and we'll take care of it". I asked what the coating was, olephobic? He said he wouldn't say and wouldn't comment on what the course of action is. I thought, ok, as long as you fix it I thats all that matters.

I guess they will replace the lens glass with something other that what came out of the factory. No point in putting the same thing back on there. He probably couldn't comment as this will effect every single One M8 which means they would all have to be recalled. Expensive!