OP AcE XBOX

17th November 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #101  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25

73 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgelab

I followed a guide and used a tiny amount of Brasso on the end of a cotton bud, it's like the phone's brand new again. Like you, I'm concerned I've removed something which should be there but the camera was unusable prior to doing this. Mine was bought in April, has been in a case, screen protector applied since day 1, handled with constant, real care but the scratches on the lens were something else!

Pictures of the lens pre clean here and also 3 very quick shots from the phone pre and 3 post clean... Was in a rush so had no artistic quality to them whatsoever!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/941979...7645558003205/

Great comparison photos! I am definitely going to try this as mine is probably blurrier than your before shots now - can't believe what an improvement it made, the after shots are really good!
The Following User Says Thank You to benj! For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th November 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #102  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 3

120 posts
More
I used a Magic Eraser, I held it under the tap and squeezed as much water out of it as I could. And applied light to medium pressure in a circular movement on my camera lens. Completely cleaned up the blurriness I was experiencing. Downside is that I'm not sure how often this problem is likely to present itself and how often I can keep using this method. Going to look into purchasing a lens protector from Amazon. I'm loath to send this for repair via Vodafone UK, as having worked for them, their quality control on repairs is s**t.
17th November 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #103  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25

73 posts
More
I got impatient and used the water/edge of a credit card method. Took a little while to get the film off (quite obvious once you've been scratching away for a few minutes) but seems to have done the trick splendidly! Photos are clearer, colours sharper and generally free of the furriness and glare from light sources.

Props to whoever discovered this, I certainly couldn't be bothered to send it back for repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to benj! For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th December 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #104  
Thanks Meter: 28

71 posts
I used this method, works perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBLrG29HEjU

And a comparision of before and after. Notice the effect of the light sources
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	3049908   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	3049909  
5th December 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #105  
Thanks Meter: 165

862 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax6

After my problem with a smeared lense and cleaning it with toothpaste I've been experiencing glare when taking photos in sunlight and seeing as I had rooted my phone and couldn't get it to update due to unlocking my bootloader ect I decided to send it back to htc to get it repaired. I've just had a text to say it's been fixed and ready to collect so I will report back later with the outcome

Clax6 , what was your outcome. Did they replace the lens cover?
9th December 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #106  
Thanks Meter: 70

263 posts
In case anyone needs a longer term update on the lens cleaning...I've had mine cleaned off for over 6 months with rubbing alcohol and q-tip and the lens is still perfect...it's an antiglare coating so removing it will cause light glare at certain angles. As long as you can adjust lighting angles pictures come out crisp still.

For the user that mentioned a smudge on other side of lens after cleaning, it's the toothpaste/whatever you used that soaked through the adhesive ring on very edge of lens. The lens is very brittle so very risky to remove it to clean etc. But not impossible (i've done it but ended up cracking lens on previous m8)

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app
15th December 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #107  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 82

249 posts
More
I had the same problem with mine and decided to go the toothpaste/Rubbing alcohol method. Much better pictures now.
Attached are some comparison pictures I took and a closer view of my M8 camera lens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTC1M8_FaucetB&A.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	3064522   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTC1M8_LampB&A.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	3064523   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTCM8LensB&A.jpg