New HTC Advantage replacement arrives tomorrow.

OP Sleepycloud

16th July 2014, 09:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag I live in your ROM.
Thanks Meter: 49

310 posts
More
My new HTC M8 replacement will be here tomorrow. I've been without for about 4 days. It's a cracked screen replacement. I plan to pull a completely stock image outside of being dev-unlocked and the TWRP recovery. It's going to be a real stock ROM. No extra anything, not even rooted. It's gonna be the very first thing I do after I dev unlock and flash TWRP recovery. I'm going to back up boot and system. I plan to post both the nandroid files and a zip file that I make from that same nandroid for those need options.
16th July 2014, 09:29 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,100

13,355 posts
More
I'm sure both are already available, and don't use HTCDev to unlock it. Use TowelRoot and Sunshine to get S-OFF and go from there
16th July 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag I live in your ROM.

310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

I'm sure both are already available, and don't use HTCDev to unlock it. Use TowelRoot and Sunshine to get S-OFF and go from there

I've used all of the "Stock" ROM's that are posted, here and a couple of other sites along with a few of the nandroid backups. None of them are anything close to stock. I found all sorts of modified crap in every one of them. I had to really dig to fix them so that they would take an OTA. Flashing a stock recovery isn't enough, for any of the ones I tried. I could list numerous problems with various "Stock" ROM's, but I'm not trying to blaze anyone, or criticize their contributions and work. The truth of the matter is, If one advertises something as being Stock, when in fact it has some pretty heavy modifications done to it, then I can only assume that bad intentions were the primary motivation for offering a bogus stock ROM.
16th July 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag I live in your ROM.

310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

What are the advantages to using those other two methods, over HTCDEV? Can you elaborate on your suggestion please?
16th July 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 8,638

14,098 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepycloud

What are the advantages to using those other two methods, over HTCDEV? Can you elaborate on your suggestion please?

For 1 you won't be registered at HTC for unlocking the bootloader, so with warranty you might be one step ahead at HTC
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hofs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,119

7,039 posts
Quote:

I've used all of the "Stock" ROM's that are posted, here and a couple of other sites along with a few of the nandroid backups. None of them are anything close to stock. I found all sorts of modified crap in every one of them. I had to really dig to fix them so that they would take an OTA. Flashing a stock recovery isn't enough, for any of the ones I tried. I could list numerous problems with various "Stock" ROM's, but I'm not trying to blaze anyone, or criticize their contributions and work. The truth of the matter is, If one advertises something as being Stock, when in fact it has some pretty heavy modifications done to it, then I can only assume that bad intentions were the primary motivation for offering a bogus stock ROM.

Which ROMs are you referring to, that claim to be stock? There are very few that say stock; in fact only 2 that say "stock" in the title. One is a system dump, and not even rooted. The other says its unmodified aside from root and busybox. Are you saying one of these is not true?

I can only speak of XDA, not "other" websites. IMO, there aren't many other websites worth getting ROMs from.
16th July 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag I live in your ROM.

310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Which ROMs are you referring to, that claim to be stock? There are very few that say stock; in fact only 2 that say "stock" in the title. One is a system dump, and not even rooted. The other says its unmodified aside from root and busybox. Are you saying one of these is not true?

I can only speak of XDA, not "other" websites. IMO, there aren't many other websites worth getting ROMs from.

I'm not wanting to get into that subject. Over the past three months, I've flashed just about every ROM available for the sprint M8. SOME of the Stock ROM's and nandroids listed here and elsewhere are far from Stock. Anyone with a curiosity and some time can find the things I found. It took me a month of cross referencing and peeling apart everything three times before I was able to compile a bug free "Stock" ROM of my own that works flawlessly and will take OTA's. I bet I flashed more than a two thousand times in the past 90 days. Man, I just want to learn more and not offend or piss anyone off. I'm not gonna mention any names or particular ROM's. I hope you understand.
17th July 2014, 11:48 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 136

1,327 posts
More
Wait does HTC give you a new phone to keep with the advantage replacement program? I thought it was just a temporary phone to use while the original phone is getting fixed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
17th July 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,119

7,039 posts
Quote:

Man, I just want to learn more and not offend or piss anyone off. I'm not gonna mention any names or particular ROM's. I hope you understand.

I'm sure most of the folks that have posted in Development here would welcome any constructive criticism.

If ROMs or nandroids are posted as "stock" when they are not, it should be known.

Can't speak for "other" websites. There are lots of other websites that are not as reputable or reliable as XDA.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread