Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,368 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New HTC Advantage replacement arrives tomorrow.

Tip us?

Sleepycloud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default New HTC Advantage replacement arrives tomorrow.

My new HTC M8 replacement will be here tomorrow. I've been without for about 4 days. It's a cracked screen replacement. I plan to pull a completely stock image outside of being dev-unlocked and the TWRP recovery. It's going to be a real stock ROM. No extra anything, not even rooted. It's gonna be the very first thing I do after I dev unlock and flash TWRP recovery. I'm going to back up boot and system. I plan to post both the nandroid files and a zip file that I make from that same nandroid for those need options.

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3014
I'm sure both are already available, and don't use HTCDev to unlock it. Use TowelRoot and Sunshine to get S-OFF and go from there
Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

Sleepycloud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
I'm sure both are already available, and don't use HTCDev to unlock it. Use TowelRoot and Sunshine to get S-OFF and go from there
I've used all of the "Stock" ROM's that are posted, here and a couple of other sites along with a few of the nandroid backups. None of them are anything close to stock. I found all sorts of modified crap in every one of them. I had to really dig to fix them so that they would take an OTA. Flashing a stock recovery isn't enough, for any of the ones I tried. I could list numerous problems with various "Stock" ROM's, but I'm not trying to blaze anyone, or criticize their contributions and work. The truth of the matter is, If one advertises something as being Stock, when in fact it has some pretty heavy modifications done to it, then I can only assume that bad intentions were the primary motivation for offering a bogus stock ROM.

Sleepycloud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
What are the advantages to using those other two methods, over HTCDEV? Can you elaborate on your suggestion please?

Mr Hofs
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 8332

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepycloud View Post
What are the advantages to using those other two methods, over HTCDEV? Can you elaborate on your suggestion please?
For 1 you won't be registered at HTC for unlocking the bootloader, so with warranty you might be one step ahead at HTC
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hofs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2940
Quote:
I've used all of the "Stock" ROM's that are posted, here and a couple of other sites along with a few of the nandroid backups. None of them are anything close to stock. I found all sorts of modified crap in every one of them. I had to really dig to fix them so that they would take an OTA. Flashing a stock recovery isn't enough, for any of the ones I tried. I could list numerous problems with various "Stock" ROM's, but I'm not trying to blaze anyone, or criticize their contributions and work. The truth of the matter is, If one advertises something as being Stock, when in fact it has some pretty heavy modifications done to it, then I can only assume that bad intentions were the primary motivation for offering a bogus stock ROM.
Which ROMs are you referring to, that claim to be stock? There are very few that say stock; in fact only 2 that say "stock" in the title. One is a system dump, and not even rooted. The other says its unmodified aside from root and busybox. Are you saying one of these is not true?

I can only speak of XDA, not "other" websites. IMO, there aren't many other websites worth getting ROMs from.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

Sleepycloud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
Which ROMs are you referring to, that claim to be stock? There are very few that say stock; in fact only 2 that say "stock" in the title. One is a system dump, and not even rooted. The other says its unmodified aside from root and busybox. Are you saying one of these is not true?

I can only speak of XDA, not "other" websites. IMO, there aren't many other websites worth getting ROMs from.
I'm not wanting to get into that subject. Over the past three months, I've flashed just about every ROM available for the sprint M8. SOME of the Stock ROM's and nandroids listed here and elsewhere are far from Stock. Anyone with a curiosity and some time can find the things I found. It took me a month of cross referencing and peeling apart everything three times before I was able to compile a bug free "Stock" ROM of my own that works flawlessly and will take OTA's. I bet I flashed more than a two thousand times in the past 90 days. Man, I just want to learn more and not offend or piss anyone off. I'm not gonna mention any names or particular ROM's. I hope you understand.

otariq
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Wait does HTC give you a new phone to keep with the advantage replacement program? I thought it was just a temporary phone to use while the original phone is getting fixed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2940
Quote:
Man, I just want to learn more and not offend or piss anyone off. I'm not gonna mention any names or particular ROM's. I hope you understand.
I'm sure most of the folks that have posted in Development here would welcome any constructive criticism.

If ROMs or nandroids are posted as "stock" when they are not, it should be known.

Can't speak for "other" websites. There are lots of other websites that are not as reputable or reliable as XDA.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)