Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 44,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Build Quality Concerns

Tip us?

PatsFan1286
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Build Quality Concerns

While the M8 looks amazing, I have concerns about the build quality.

I own the last few HTC flagships, so a bit of background.

Desire HD - amazing phone. Absolutely sold me on Android. The wife still uses it.

One X - I rushed out to buy this as the DHD was that good. I had to exchange this phone 4 times due to QC issues - all documented (flex, bleed, dead pixels, etc). The good phone I eventually got now has a bad strip on the digitizer. The bottom row of the keyboard / just above the unlock ring is dead. Out of warranty and unlocked so no chance with HTC. DOA - no new phone for the wife (see above).

One (M7) - amazing phone again, ran out and bought it at launch. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed a dead pixel and a hair just under the screen. Maddening! Had to return that one as well. Took a month for my carrier to get more back in stock to replace it. In the end, this phone is close to perfect.

One (M8) - ?

Not trying to start any kind of flamewar, but my faith in HTC is waning. Are they the new Microsoft, only release anything good every other?

Just looking for feedback on the build quality on the M8.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsFan1286 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ravynmagi
Old
Thanks Meter 199
I thought HTC has had a pretty good reputation for build quality with the One X being the exception, not the norm for HTC. And that bad pixel on the M7, that's just bad luck that could happen on any phone.

So far, sounds like the build quality on the M8 is really good. I have less concerns about HTC's build quality than I do about some other phone manufactures (I'll avoid the flame war by not mentioning names, haha).
Android: Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3 LTE, Nook HD+
iOS: iPhone 5S, iPad Mini with Retina LTE
Windows: Lumia 521, Venue 8 Pro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravynmagi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

B-Mod
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I have two M8's here, one has a screen that is darker and yellower than the other. Not happy, it will be going back tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-Mod For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rippley05
Old
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mod View Post
I have two M8's here, one has a screen that is darker and yellower than the other. Not happy, it will be going back tomorrow.
Had that issue on the m7 as well. A speaker blew (4 out of 5 HTC phones I've owned had blown speakers) so I filed a claim. I think it took 4 or 5 tries before I got an acceptable replacement. It was still darker and yellower than my original tho

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fr0st420
Old
Thanks Meter 378

DONATE TO ME
I've had pretty good luck with my HTC phones. I'm still rocking the launch day m7.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fr0st420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

naouris
Old
Thanks Meter 13
That should be called the trolls thread!

Sent from my HTC One using XDA premium
The Following User Says Thank You to naouris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,409

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by naouris View Post
That should be called the trolls thread!

Sent from my HTC One using XDA premium
Not sure how you see this as a "Troll thread"? - OP is asking for feedback and if anyone else has or had concerns regarding build quality issues.

----------------

My HTC One (Red) was pretty solid, however I feel any issues that the One may of had were probably Ironed out by the time the red was released into the wild. - Hopefully HTC will come back with a big bang, like Nokia they've been around a long time.. Just wondering now when the Samsung buzz will wear off and people start to choose stylish, good looking, feature orientated devices over a plastic device. (Not flaming Samsung, as I've had an S3 and an N3)
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Not sure how you see this as a "Troll thread"? - OP is asking for feedback and if anyone else has or had concerns regarding build quality issues.

----------------

My HTC One (Red) was pretty solid, however I feel any issues that the One may of had were probably Ironed out by the time the red was released into the wild. - Hopefully HTC will come back with a big bang, like Nokia they've been around a long time.. Just wondering now when the Samsung buzz will wear off and people start to choose stylish, good looking, feature orientated devices over a plastic device. (Not flaming Samsung, as I've had an S3 and an N3)
And everyone knows these types of threads draw out every single device basher which gives a false representation of the actual prevalence of build quality issues.

That said, name just one device that didn't have any.

As for my HTC experience, the One has been a dream... The rest of them all had a lot of issues. If the M8 follows the M7, there won't be any issues. The ONLY complaint I had about my M7 is the camera tint when not in good lighting that came up and got worse the longer I had the phone.

Speakers? Perfect
Gap? None
Display? Perfect
Durability? Incredible.

If you look in my signature, I've had a ton of HTC devices. Among them, there were some really bad ones. The Sensation? Damn thing got so hot that it would reboot if I used the GPS which made it useless for navigating anywhere. MyTouch 4G? Every time I would restart the device, it would lose its internal storage and act like I factory reset it - it was doing that out of the box. PPC-6800? I lost track of the issues between the screen, overheating, freezing, cracked camera - I replaced it through Sprint 5 times before they gave me a Touch Pro in exchange for it. The original Touch? The screen stopped responding. The Hero? The display cracked even though there was no damage to the glass - the whole thing randomly shattered internally one day.

After the Sensation, I vowed never to go HTC again. Then I got the S4 and my roommate got the One. He couldn't get used to the One coming from the S3 so he wanted to trade me, I did it and I never looked back.
If I've helped you, please remember to thank me!

Retired: Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Hero, Evo, Curve 8330, Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Inspire, MT4G, Sensation 4G, Nook Color, Iconia A500, LG G2x, Captivate, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy S3 T-999, Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, HTC One (m7)!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EtherealRemnant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kirdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 313
If you found issue in all the HTC phones you bought till now, I'm pretty sure you will have some issue with this as well.
I'm seeing a trend, are you not seeing it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirdroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirdroid View Post
If you found issue in all the HTC phones you bought till now, I'm pretty sure you will have some issue with this as well.
I'm seeing a trend, are you not seeing it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's my point though - the camera issue with the M7 was likely something HTC couldn't predict until it happened since it was heat specific. Before that, my M7 the first flawless build quality device I have had since the BlackBerry Curve.

You have a Nexus and you're worried about HTC build quality?

Case in point: all mass-produced computers, tablets, and phones have isolated build quality issues. It happens. There's no sense in worrying about what may or may not happen with a device - if I was going on my track record with previous HTC devices, I would have expected to replace my One at least 2 times by now. But that didn't happen.
If I've helped you, please remember to thank me!

Retired: Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Hero, Evo, Curve 8330, Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Inspire, MT4G, Sensation 4G, Nook Color, Iconia A500, LG G2x, Captivate, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy S3 T-999, Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, HTC One (m7)!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EtherealRemnant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]