HTC Warranty RMA Experience

Search This thread

AnDruid

Aug 20, 2009
I have seen a few threads about people going for RMA, like the one for shattered screens, however my specific situation is different, hence starting a new thread with more general topic where may be other RMA experiences can be shared.

I got a good 4 months of decent usage of my HTD Developer Edition M8 which I bought directly off htc.com pretty soon after it was put up on their website. However I started running into network and data issues couple of weeks ago, the phone would just lose network and not even calling would work. I suspect it could have been caused by dropping the phone though it had a TPU case, but probably the metal body does not allow give much shock-tolerance.

After trying a few tape tricks, trimming SIM, getting replacement SIM etc, and still not getting it to work, and finding that the same sim works fine in another phone, I went for RMA with HTC. Finally getting them to understand the problem after couple of hours of chats with their Rep. I went back to stock after doing tamper flag removal, s-on and unrooting. I left the bootloader unlocked as this was a dev edition phone.

So I did the $19 RMA with the option of sending my device
in, and them sending a different refurb back once they receive it. They received my device 4 days ago, the status says as much on e2e-tracking-us.htc.com . But I haven't seen any change in the status in these four days.When I talked to the HTC Customer Care chat couple of times and they said yesterday that it will be finished tomorrow (not sure if they meant Saturday). They had said the same thing 3 days ago as well :| So my question is this: is this kind of delay of 3-4 days expected with HTC? or is this an unusual case? What are the experiences of other people here (this is HTC US Warranty).
I am wondering if something to do with the s-off and the network chip having issues could have them spend extra time on verifying tamper status etc. Is this a possibility

Last edited:

Garmig

Aug 7, 2008
Las Vegas
www.draincleaning.vegas
I have seen a few threads about people going for RMA, like the one for shattered screens, however my specific situation is different, hence starting a new thread with more general topic where may be other RMA experiences can be shared.

I got a good 4 months of decent usage of my HTD Developer Edition M8 which I bought directly off htc.com pretty soon after it was put up on their website. However I started running into network and data issues couple of weeks ago, the phone would just lose network and not even calling would work. I suspect it could have been caused by dropping the phone though it had a TPU case, but probably the metal body does not allow give much shock-tolerance.

After trying a few tape tricks, trimming SIM, getting replacement SIM etc, and still not getting it to work, and finding that the same sim works fine in another phone, I went for RMA with HTC. Finally getting them to understand the problem after couple of hours of chats with their Rep. I went back to stock after doing tamper flag removal, s-on and unrooting. I left the bootloader unlocked as this was a dev edition phone.

So I did the $19 RMA with the option of sending my device in, and them sending a different refurb back once they receive it. They received my device 4 days ago, the status says as much on e2e-tracking-us.htc.com . But I haven't seen any change in the status in these four days. So my question is this: is this kind of delay expected with HTC? or is this an unusual case? What are the experiences of other people here (this is HTC US Warranty people).

They don't update the status frequently, I'm still waiting for my phone. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35402724/Screenshot%202014-08-16%2020.18.10.png

AnDruid

Aug 20, 2009

Thanks, this looks interesting. I had talked to the customer care twice on chat (I updated the first post). Maybe it does take a few days, though the customer care said that it will be done in one day on Wednesday :|
I guess it might have been better to go for the $29 replacement where they send the device to me first.

Last edited:

AnDruid

Aug 20, 2009
I'm intrested in how that worked out for you.

Did you tell them the problem might have been caused by a drop? Did they replace the phone for you?

It worked out fine in the end. No questions were asked to me regarding the phone, or unlocked bootloader/tampering etc. However I had to followup with customer care on phone and had to wait a bit for them to send the replacement back. They said they are having trouble with stock.

PS. Sorry, I have a weekly email subscription and did not see your post until I got the email today.

Last edited: