Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,709 Members 46,261 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 - Audiophile thread

Tip us?

G1_enthusiast
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005 View Post
G1,

Hello. I too transitioned from the LG G2 to the HTC One M8, and totally LOVE my phone! I really liked the G2 phone as well, but I needed a phone with expandable memory, and so that was my main reason for switching. Though I think the M8 is a somewhat better phone overall, esp with the BoomSound speakers (which I've upgraded to Harman/Kardon software thanks to rooting & S-OFF'ing my phone and downloading their mod. The difference is pretty noticeable.), metal body (vs. G2's plastic), and having dual speakers on the front vs on the bottom (but at least the G2 HAD dual speakers...... can't say that for many phones lol). I tried the Samsung Galaxy S5 phone in b/t actually for about 4 days, but honestly, after 2, I switched back to my G2 before getting the M8. I couldn't stand the S5's UI (too complex), although overall it is a great phone.

On top of being a fan of HTC (I would say LG is third or maybe Motorola?), I am a huge fan of Sony. My camera, HDTV, and blu-ray player are all Sony. I love their interface a lot as I do HTC's. Elegant & simple, but NEVER lacking. So I'm wondering what you meant when you said (above) "Thank God, don't ever own a Sony"? Just curious is all. I'm guessing you had a bad experience. I'm asking b/c if I was to ever leave HTC it would very very likely be for Sony's Xperia phones. I've had nothing but GOOD experiences with Sony myself. I actually was about the buy the Z1S over the G2, but at the time, I wanted more screen and the G2 offered that.

Thanks,

RockStar2005
I used to own everything that is "sony made" the headphone MDR 10BRT (crappiest headset I ever wear, sound is so muffle and bass is bloated) Sony google TV (it crash all the time and the updates are not really updates at all because it dint fix the crashing or the slow UI) and the phone, its clearly that Sony Flooded the XDA forum with their staff or there is a lot of dummies that never own high end phone. When I own the Z (and briefly held the Z1s), the screen was washed out, the screen on the glass was lifted, the touch screen stop working after a couple months, the phone heat up pretty quickly, the speaker was none existence.

When I look at the Z1s, none of these issue were fix. This tell me Sony does not listen to it customer, they are more worried about making money and staying afloat and keeping up with the mobile world (which they are not) the Z2 look decent but I'm not giving them a second chance till their CEO is fire or their Chief of Engineer is fire.
Phone
HTC Touch pro II ---> Tmobile G1 ---> HTC HD2 ---> Tmobile G2 --> Samsung galaxy S II --> Samsung galaxy S3--> Sony Xperia "Zed"--->HTC one M7(Thank God, dont ever own a Sony)--->LG G2--->HTC one M8

Tablet

Tmobile Slate -----------> Blackberry playbook --------> Samsung galaxy Tab 10.1 ---------->Nexus 7 ---------------->Nexus 7 Second Gen ---------> Dell Venue 8 Pro

RockStar2005
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-M8-Master View Post
The m8 audio is the best you can get on any phone...it's much better than on iPhone and all Samsung's...even better than on Sony and their insane enhancements...did many tests and m8 is blowing with speakers and on headphones the sh1t out of the other phones...HTC uses in their phone the Qualcomm dac which came with the SoC and a dedicated by themself...so they are extending together...really insane...
Yes I can attest to Master's statement. I've seen at least 1 or 2 videos comparing the M8 vs the Z2 (with Z3 prob being slightly better), and the audio from the M8 was louder and just as clear as the Z2's. I really love Sony's noise-cancelling feature though.... it's really ahead of its time. The earphones it's compatible with (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-C...rds=MDR-NC31EM) work actively (but don't need batteries) with the Xperia phones and tablets to cancel out like 87% of all noise. The earphones have tiny microphones on them to record the "outside noise", then it sends that info to the phone/tablet. The phone/tablet then, using Sony's awesome technology, creates a noise that is the polar opposite of the one the earphones sent it....... thereby effectively cancelling out the noise. I mean, who else is doing that now? Nobody, not even HTC. But this is only relevant if you're using earphones, which I don't do as often now since the BoomSound (now H/K for me) speakers are so loud and clear. Most of the time I'm using it in the car for music. But I was blown away when I read about how they work.

One thing keeping me from going to Sony is the phone size. Even with a slim clear case (can't cover up the beauty! lol) on my M8, it still isn't all that small though I can still fit it completely into my pocket. The Z3 is gonna be smaller in every way than the Z2, yet still retain the same size screen (5.2"). I checked and really the Z3 and M8 are about the same size. I do like that Sony made the Z3 smaller but kept the screen size. One thing I'd like to see done is a comparison of not both phones' speakers, but of how the sound quality is using the same brand of earphones, or in the car but using the same model car for each. That would shed more light onto which one TRULY has the best audio. But I would like the H/K M8 used in that comparison since that's what I have now (thanks to that mod!). lol

RockStar2005

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

G1,

I'll agree that the Z1S had its issues, but from the numerous items I've read about the Z2 and now Z3, Sony actually HAS fixed the many issues the previous phones had. Like the screen on the Z2 and even Z3 is rated as being MUCH better than the Z1s and its predecessors. The viewing angle is widened as they went from TFT to IPS LCD. That upgrade is the main reason for the screen's improvement. And now Sony is finally selling its Xperia phones in the U.S. at the same time as everyone else, which was never the case before, even with the Z2. They are learning from their mistakes and improving upon them it seems.... to me anyway. lol I can't attest to the Z2 or Z3 from personal experience, but I can say they significantly better than the Z1s.

Here are is a general comparison of the Z1 and Z2: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1273...the-difference

RockStar2005

Ghost
Old
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,993
Moderator information,

Please remember to stay on topic. Please keep all posts relating to the m8 only. Device comparisons are against forum rules.

Many thanks,

Ghost

RockStar2005
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Moderator information,

Please remember to stay on topic. Please keep all posts relating to the m8 only. Device comparisons are against forum rules.

Many thanks,

Ghost
Ghost,

Oh ok. I'll keep that in mind. So it's ok to say that you like another device, just leave out the details right? lol

RockStar2005

RockStar2005
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Default DSEE HX (Sony Xperia Z3) vs Harman/Kardon (HTC One M8)

I just saw this on Sony's site:

In terms of audio, both models (Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact) deliver High-Resolution audio output directly via the headphone jack, and also feature Sony's ground-breaking DSEE HX technology which upscales the fidelity of low-res music files (MP3, AAC) to near High-Resolution quality*4, ensuring that extremely high audio quality can be enjoyed anytime. Furthermore, they both feature digital noise cancelling capability built-in, reducing ambient noise by up to approximately 98%.*5

Can anyone here tell me, how does this compare to what the Harman/Kardon mod (or edition) of the M8 does? Sounds like it does the same thing as what H/K does, but which one does it better? Does DSEE HX also come with ADSP files the way the H/K mod does?? Just wondering.

P.S. I'm not comparing phones here, just options on these phones.

Thanks,

RockStar2005

oryan_dunn
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
I just saw this on Sony's site:

In terms of audio, both models (Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact) deliver High-Resolution audio output directly via the headphone jack, and also feature Sony's ground-breaking DSEE HX technology which upscales the fidelity of low-res music files (MP3, AAC) to near High-Resolution quality*4, ensuring that extremely high audio quality can be enjoyed anytime. Furthermore, they both feature digital noise cancelling capability built-in, reducing ambient noise by up to approximately 98%.*5

Can anyone here tell me, how does this compare to what the Harman/Kardon mod (or edition) of the M8 does? Sounds like it does the same thing as what H/K does, but which one does it better? Does DSEE HX also come with ADSP files the way the H/K mod does?? Just wondering.

P.S. I'm not comparing phones here, just options on these phones.

Thanks,

RockStar2005
A bunch of markinget mumbo-jumbo. Would be nice if they reported specs that actually matter to the quality of the headphone amp.

The Z3 or Z3 compact along with the M8 are in the running for my next phone. I was hoping the M8 would drop to $599 this week with the announcement of the iPhone.

RockStar2005
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
A bunch of markinget mumbo-jumbo. Would be nice if they reported specs that actually matter to the quality of the headphone amp.

The Z3 or Z3 compact along with the M8 are in the running for my next phone. I was hoping the M8 would drop to $599 this week with the announcement of the iPhone.
Hey oryan,

They prob won't drop the M8's price until the M9 comes out. lol Or when more time passes.

Yeah I'm with you......... I originally wanted the Z2 but T-Mobile never got it, but now they are getting the Z3 in October. I absolutely LOVE my M8 though, esp after rooting/S-OFF'ing it and getting H/K too. That made it go from really good to excellent in my opinion. I like that the Z3 is slightly smaller (overall) than the Z2. NOT a fan of phablets! I actually like my phones to FIT in my pocket. lol

I'm waiting to hear from someone who can tell me which one is better, DSEE HX or H/K's mod. For me, that's pretty much a determining factor. My 6-month free JUMP! upgrade date through T-Mobile was 8/1, so I can upgrade whenever, IF I want to. lol I dunno if I would root/S-OFF a Z3 if I got one. Not sure if would need to. I only did all that for H/K, though Sense 6 Toolbox and ViperOne M8 are pretty cool root-only options that I have now as well.

RockStar2005

oryan_dunn
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
They prob won't drop the M8's price until the M9 comes out. lol Or when more time passes.
Well, it started out at $699, and has since dropped to $649. The M7 dropped to $499 when the M8 was released, so a drop to $599 for the M8 to compete with the iPhone 6 doesn't seem out of the question.

I've got time to wait and see. I'd also like to know the US off-contract price for the Z3 and Z3c

RockStar2005
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
Well, it started out at $699, and has since dropped to $649. The M7 dropped to $499 when the M8 was released, so a drop to $599 for the M8 to compete with the iPhone 6 doesn't seem out of the question.

I've got time to wait and see. I'd also like to know the US off-contract price for the Z3 and Z3c
oryan,

I guess anything's possible. They could also just be dropping it to compete with the Note 4 too. Those phones should be dropping THEIR price to compete with the M8! lol

Yeah I'm not sure on that. If I actually did get it, it would be through T-Mobile, but not sure on price just yet.

RockStar2005

th3
Old
(Last edited by th3; 10th September 2014 at 07:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth View Post
in-ears (if you want them for mobile usage):
- Soundmagic E10
- Havi B3 Pro 1 (this little baby gets hyped all over the place. Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi...essions-thread From how that quality sounds like.. This thing should sound at least 2 levels better than ANY (!) "Gaming-Headset" on the whole market.
Buds, sub 50 quid, you can't beat the likes of Croon Tingo tg-38s or Dasetn m760 or Ultimate ears 600. Some get close to IE8 or SE535 on many metrics (at less than 1/5 the price).

Your listed iem are good too, but I've found Havis first version low on bass compared to others. It's not for someone listening to anything with importance on beat and bass. Someone moving from a gaming boom headset would think wtf!? [emoji5]

Sent using Tapatalk