Post Reply

M8 - Audiophile thread

OP Jamal Ahmed

27th October 2014, 02:17 PM   |  #281  
rafaelpernil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marbella
Thanks Meter: 103
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by popoyaya

I'm coming from the Samsung S3 before this amazing phone (which makes the S3 seem like a toy!). But the S3 has a great Hi-Fi Wolfson audio chip that could be programmed directly via custom kernels (Boeffla). It had features like DAC Direct, DAC oversampling and FLL tuning for getting great sound out of it. Are there any such kernels for directly programming the Qualcomm DAC on the M8? Also the headphone volume limit could be removed and changed from 53 (stock) to 63 giving a big volume boost and making the volume seriously powerful. Is this a possibility on the M8? I find the factory headphone output a lot quieter on the M8.

I had the S3 with all that stuff (I was Googy-Max kernel beta tester) and it's pretty bad compared to M8's sound quality/power. Forget about boosting analog gain and changing DAC settings.
If you think it doesn't sound loud enough, try FauxSound. But don't expect the same audio quality compared to stock. Stock sound has more air and sounds more detailed.
Try it yourself.

Regards
27th October 2014, 02:24 PM   |  #282  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 124
 
384 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
I plan to use fauxsound when I finally get rooted. But surely it's not affecting the stock sound, merely boosting the volume by removing the artificial volume limit (like Boeffla/Googymax on S3)?
27th October 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #283  
rafaelpernil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marbella
Thanks Meter: 103
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by popoyaya

I plan to use fauxsound when I finally get rooted. But surely it's not affecting the stock sound, merely boosting the volume by removing the artificial volume limit (like Boeffla/Googymax on S3)?

There is no volume limit on this model. It's uncapped by default!!
27th October 2014, 02:26 PM   |  #284  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 124
 
384 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelpernil

There is no volume limit on this model. It's uncapped by default!!

So fauxsound is just boosting the volume in software and can lead to clipping and distortion?
27th October 2014, 02:29 PM   |  #285  
rafaelpernil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marbella
Thanks Meter: 103
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by popoyaya

So fauxsound is just boosting the volume in software and can lead to clipping and distortion?

Nope. It's hardware gain but I's a custom driver that doesn't give the same SQ as stock driver.
27th October 2014, 02:31 PM   |  #286  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 124
 
384 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelpernil

Nope. It's hardware gain but I's a custom driver that doesn't give the same SQ as stock driver.

I see. Is there nothing that implements hardware gain with stock driver?
27th October 2014, 02:34 PM   |  #287  
rafaelpernil's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marbella
Thanks Meter: 103
 
185 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by popoyaya

I see. Is there nothing that implements hardware gain with stock driver?

Why would you want more power? It outputs 1.2Vrms which is A LOT

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

I would like to have HW gain but I'm great with stock sound
27th October 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #288  
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 124
 
384 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelpernil

Why would you want more power? It outputs 1.2Vrms which is A LOT

Still considerably quieter with the same earphones compared with volume uncapped S3. The sound quality seems as good if not better though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in One (M8) General by ThreadRank