Thread Closed

Rear Lens Cover Affecting Picture Quality

2nd July 2014, 03:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Spring, TX
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
More
Since I bought my M8, I had noticed a steady decline in picture quality. I took a close look at the plastic lens cover and noticed an iridescent sheen and numerous scratches. My old G2 had the same kind of issue, and I remembered being able to fix it with toothpaste.

What a difference.

All I used was some Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste, a nice circular rubbing motion with my finger, and a soft microfiber towel to clean everything up.

Here are some before and after pictures, taken with identical settings in manual shooting mode (no editing, of course) -

So as you can see, it's a pretty huge difference. I'm not sure what kind of coating they put on the lens, but it horrifically degrades photo quality over time. I've had a case over the phone the whole time I've owned it, and the only glass/plastic that's scratched has been this back lens cover.

I saw another thread that suggested removing the lens - I don't think that's necessary. I'm back to stock-looking photos with just a little bit of polishing. Time will tell if it remains this way, though. If the coating was some sort of anti-scratch layer, it may get worse.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tdcrawford For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #2  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 34

222 posts
More
Thanks for this. I have the same problem and was wondering if there wasn't some way to rub out the scratches. You say you used just a little toothpase and rubbed lightly with your fingertip?
2nd July 2014, 06:03 PM   |  #3  
Flag Jupiter
Thanks Meter: 9

80 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Case

Thanks for this. I have the same problem and was wondering if there wasn't some way to rub out the scratches. You say you used just a little toothpase and rubbed lightly with your fingertip?

There is a very informative thread that explains the issue and had to correct it here in the forum.

But, in a nutshell, the M8 has a UV coating that starts to cloud up and is easily scratched due to heat build up in the phone.

This is ONLY a coating and can be remove... The process is simple as stated in the original posters message.

I used q-tips and alcohol... That worked for me... But I have also seen threads that have gone the toothpaste route.

After you remove the coating the lens will look like new.... I have cut up an old un-used screen protector and applied it to the lens as a protective measure.
2nd July 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Spring, TX
Thanks Meter: 4

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Case

Yes, all I did was apply a very small amount of toothpaste (plain, white toothpaste - like Colgate or Arm & Hammer - no fancy gels or anything) directly to the lens, and rub with my fingertip in tiny circles. It took a few minutes, but the coating was able to be removed completely. I was careful to use a damp cloth to clean the toothpaste off rather than just throwing some water on it, just in case all the rubbing loosened a seal on the cover or something.
2nd July 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,094

4,822 posts
More
I have this problem too. Thanks for the tip!
2nd July 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
XDA MODERATOR
Thanks Meter: 4,088

5,901 posts
Moderator Information,

Thread closed. There are a couple of existing threads that this could have been posted in. Remember forum rules. Please post in an existing thread were possible before creating new ones EG:

Pictures Taken With M8

Build Quality Concerns

Many thanks,

Ghost
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in One (M8) General by ThreadRank