5,814,981 Members 41,533 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What Runtime do you use?
Dalvik 27 64.29%
ART 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

[RunTime Discussion] Dalvik V.S ART

Tip us?

mushages
Old
(Last edited by mushages; 16th September 2014 at 04:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 424

DONATE TO ME
Info 2 [RunTime Discussion] Dalvik V.S ART

Hello everyone:
as everyone knows Android introduced a new run time in kitkat which it ART. they say its faster than Dalvik as it precompiles the apps. in sense 6 we can choose which runtime we want to use when enabling Developer options so we can have a peak at the new runtime which will be used officially in Android L.

from Wiki:

Dalvik is the process virtual machine (VM) in Google's Android operating system. It is the software that runs the applications on Android devices. Dalvik is thus an integral part of Android, which is typically used on mobile devices such as mobile phones and tablet computers as well as more recently on embedded devices such as smart TVs and media streamers.

Android Runtime (ART) is an application runtime environment used by the Android mobile operating system. ART replaces Dalvik, which is the process virtual machine originally used by Android, and performs transformation of the application's bytecode into native instructions that are later executed by the device's runtime environment.

let us know what do you think about running ART in your experience (Speed,Stability and battery life) and if you had any problems please post which rom you are/were using.
FiReFlaMe
Previous:HTC HD2 (Leo) {R.I.P}, HTC Butterfly S(Sold)
Current:SE Xperia X1 (HTC Kovsky), HTC One X (Tegra 3), HTC One M8

Donate or Thank to help me!

MistaBishi
Old
Thanks Meter 75
I'm using ART on my GPE converted M8. Was using Dalvik when I was on Sense though.

benjmiester
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I'm currently using it on ViperOne Rom 2.4.0. Is it faster? Well, first we need to figure out how to measure lightning!
It's also supposed to make a slight improvement in battery life, I would guess because it takes less power to load up apps so it keeps cpu clock speeds down. Just a stab in the dark there though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Teio
Old
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Well, the art we have on KK is outdated and nothing compared to the Art we will have on Android L...

I'm not sure if it really is better than Dalvik on its current stage ,but the one on Android L certainly is.
LG G3!!!

mushages
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teio View Post
Well, the art we have on KK is outdated and nothing compared to the Art we will have on Android L...

I'm not sure if it really is better than Dalvik on its current stage ,but the one on Android L certainly is.
Yes Android L ART is different. With the current one you can't notice a difference really.. maybe abit.. and some people say it's laggy.
FiReFlaMe

PcFish
Old
Thanks Meter 88
I noticed it depends on the app for me. Most work fine, but apps like Nike+ and certain games load slow or hang up for me.

mushages
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcFish View Post
I noticed it depends on the app for me. Most work fine, but apps like Nike+ and certain games load slow or hang up for me.
There's a thing in me that keeps going back to ART.. but now I'm back to dalvik my phone was stuck on chrome browser before 5mins.. tbh the ART we have now is abit slower and more laggy than dalvik maybe a sense case. It works fine in my HTC one X running 4.4.4 AOSPA rom or CM11
FiReFlaMe

Justin2003
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I have set my HTC one M8 today to ART. Now i cannot instal APK files on the Phone.

mushages
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 424

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin2003 View Post
I have set my HTC one M8 today to ART. Now i cannot instal APK files on the Phone.
Which Rom are you using?
FiReFlaMe

Justin2003
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Stock rom