No registration required

[Discussion] Running High Performance Mode all the time

OP gtg465x

9th August 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 135

499 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3

If this phone couldn't give me an easy 6 hours screen on under any of my loads, and 13 hour total run time, I would never have wasted a penny on it. I swear

Sent using XDA mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

It'll decrease it without a question. In silicon chips,

P = CV^3 roughly

P = power
C = frequency
V = voltage
^3 = accounts for various leakage currents

Higher frequency and voltage increases the power draw by a large margin. Forget about the higher power loads of the graphics, screen, IP chip and so on, in this mode.

Even with the phone in standby, it will be slightly lower.

That's what I mean though. It's got great battery life. Mine will get me from 8am till midnight and even then it won't be completely drained, but it will go on charge overnight.

The only time I notice harsher drain is when you'd expect. Traveling on trains for example. Because it's constantly searching for signal as you fly in and out of cell areas you do notice a quicker depletion rate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
9th August 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #32  
Flag Outside of Chicago
Thanks Meter: 4,037

9,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3

If this phone couldn't give me an easy 6 hours screen on under any of my loads, and 13 hour total run time, I would never have wasted a penny on it. I swear

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

It'll decrease it without a question. In silicon chips,

P = CV^3 roughly

P = power
C = frequency
V = voltage
^3 = accounts for various leakage currents

Higher frequency and voltage increases the power draw by a large margin. Forget about the higher power loads of the graphics, screen, IP chip and so on, in this mode.

Even with the phone in standby, it will be slightly lower.

thats what I thought, I was a bit confused after reading a few of the prior posts in this thread..

After being in the battery/charger business for almost 15 years, I have a good understanding of how all this comes together, thats why I didnt understand how running in performance mode could possibly increase battery life..
that being said, as others have pointed out, this thing will last all day or more for 95% of users...the other 5% should plug in when they get a chance!
9th August 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #33  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,936

3,913 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711

so, would I be correct in assuming that running "high perf" mode can actually extend battery life, instead of diminishing it?
seems so counter intuitive..

finally getting my m8 Tuesday, so I intend to check this out first thing
coming from a LG Flex, probably the most epic battery life out there right now, so it will be interesting to compare..

I too am one of those that couldn't care less about all these "battery life" threads and claims, but I am interested in seeing if "high performance" mode can actually extend battery life.

No, it won't extend battery life. We just found that, depending on your usage, it may not have much impact on your battery life compared to normal mode without energy saver on.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #34  
OP Recognized Developer

3,913 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_c81

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the tone of HtcOneJon's post, I can appreciate an understanding of the underlying point. I used to get overly concerned with battery life and trying to eak out every last drop I can. Now though, I simply cannot be bothered! Waste so much time stareing at battery levels, when ultimately its pointless as very few people these days leave their phones off charge for more then 12 hours. Vast majority of people charge overnight. So what does it matter other then "bragging" rights on forums like these!?

That aside, it's pretty much as necessary as a case to have some form of portable battery bank close by for emergencies.

I just feel in this day in age, if manufacturers and app developers can't get battery performance nailed down to decent levels then boycott that handset or app. It irritates me that in 2014 were still using a derivative of battery technology from the 1970's. It's been such a neglected area of research in my honest opinion. Although things are looking up now.

My advice: turn off percentage view, use your phone, enjoy your phone, stick it on charge at the end of the day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I agree with you. I typically don't monitor and measure usage and battery stats. It can consume you. I only did it for the purpose of determining the battery impact of the high performance mode setting. Since I found that it doesn't have much impact on my usage, I now just leave it on all the time and I still make it through a whole day without worrying about battery.
9th August 2014, 08:34 PM   |  #35  
Flag Outside of Chicago

9,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg465x

No, it won't extend battery life. We just found that, depending on your usage, it may not have much impact on your battery life compared to normal mode without energy saver on.

what does high performance mode do for the "normal" operations of the phone?
I assume this phone is fast and smooth, so is there any real "benefit" to running HP mode?

thanks
10th August 2014, 01:14 AM   |  #36  
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee / Haggis Muncher
Flag NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 9,567

23,605 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I assume this phone is fast and smooth, so is there any real "benefit" to running HP mode?

thanks

I've had it on HP mode for a good few days, and have noticed no real change in battery, and no real change in performance. It's been much the same for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_scotsman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #37  
OP Recognized Developer

3,913 posts
More
Quote:

thanks

If you have any poorly coded apps that don't scroll smoothly already, performance mode makes them much smoother. Most apps, if they are well coded and already scroll smoothly, you won't notice a difference though.
11th August 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #38  
Flag Outside of Chicago

9,456 posts
Donate to Me
More
thanks, that makes sense..I guess its still best to "leave" the phone in normal mode, until you notice signs of an app with issues..

is this mode similar to OC'ing kernel?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread