Traded s5 for m8, some questions on modding it

Search This thread

Dragostini

Mar 30, 2013
A place.
Hey everyone,

So yesterday I traded my s5 for an m8 (totally a score in my eyes) and to my surprise it came pre modded. I'm no slouch when it comes to modding devices... Consoles, nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy s2x/s3/note2/s5.... But being a first time HTC user I have a few questions.

Before the questions come, here is some details.

Bootloader says s-off at the power+volume down screen at the top, so I'm taking a wild guess the previous owner already s-off the device.

Uses twrp as it's recovery.

Currently the device is running the following setup (screenshots attached)

Questions:

1. What is the proper model / Device name for this? I'm Canadian, unlocked Sim, using Rogers. (like my old s3 was something like sgh-i747m or something, for example)

2. What model/device names am I compatible with? T-mobile, sprint etc

3. Are there any lollipop aosp Roms compatible that are smooth and stable releases?

4. Stable miui?

5. What the hell are some of these applications like peel smart remote, HTC dot view etc that I'm seeing? Bloatware?

6. Anything I need to keep in mind about my setup / hazards?

7. What's this google play edition stuff I keep seeing? Turning the m8 into a nexus or something?

I love this phone, but before I start my flashoholic ways with it I thought I should ask.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-28-00-11-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-28-00-11-32.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_2015-03-28-00-11-39.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-28-00-11-39.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

DryaT

Dec 12, 2013
Wow, that's a Sense 7 custom rom and It has some mods like the clock in the center of the status bar. There is GPE for the m8 so you can convert yours, and it is like AOSP but without bugs.

idreesmangi

Mar 28, 2015
Hey everyone i have sprint Galaxy s5 g900p running android 5.0 but when i want to choose network type there is no any options avail like ie: GSM only/WCDMA only so how can i get these options
I also tried this code *#*#4636#*#* but not working at all.?

TempestZ

Feb 2, 2015
Calarasi
www.flickr.com
Hey everyone,

So yesterday I traded my s5 for an m8 (totally a score in my eyes) and to my surprise it came pre modded. I'm no slouch when it comes to modding devices... Consoles, nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy s2x/s3/note2/s5.... But being a first time HTC user I have a few questions.

Bootloader says s-off at the power+volume down screen at the top, so I'm taking a wild guess the previous owner already s-off the device.

Questions:

1. What is the proper model / Device name for this? I'm Canadian, unlocked Sim, using Rogers. (like my old s3 was something like sgh-i747m or something, for example)

3. Are there any lollipop aosp Roms compatible that are smooth and stable releases?

4. Stable miui?

5. What the hell are some of these applications like peel smart remote, HTC dot view etc that I'm seeing? Bloatware?

7. What's this google play edition stuff I keep seeing? Turning the m8 into a nexus or something?

I love this phone, but before I start my flashoholic ways with it I thought I should ask.

Cheers!

1. Do a getvar all for all info and post it here or search for yourself the model on Google (don't post serials and imei) reboot in bootloader, enter fastboot and connect to pc and from cmd type fastboot getvar all (drivers may be needed)

2. Refer to 1

3. Yes :)

4.?

5. Peel smart remote is the IR controller and dot view is HTC app for their dot view case.

6 Don't mess with what you don't understand, especially if you are s-off

7. Yes

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Reactions: Dragostini

Dragostini

Mar 30, 2013
A place.
Hey everyone i have sprint Galaxy s5 g900p running android 5.0 but when i want to choose network type there is no any options avail like ie: GSM only/WCDMA only so how can i get these options
I also tried this code *#*#4636#*#* but not working at all.?

Why would you hijack a thread for a question like that? Just make a new thread.

@TempestZ:

Here's the info (removed Serial # and IMEI)

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.25.214500021.06G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.16.401.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B16000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 3aa067db
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

As for questions 3 and 4, can you recommend a few decent aosp based Roms?

And if you don't know what miui is, you are missing out lol.

Lastly; m8_ul = WCDMA / GSM / FDD-LTE from my research, so I theoretically should be fine to flash pretty much any rom that isnt CDMA specific right?

Last edited:

TempestZ

Feb 2, 2015
Calarasi
www.flickr.com
@Dragostini I can't recommend any since I don't use them, I like sense.

m8_ul is GSM

MID Variant Region/carrier
0P6B100 m8_ul Europé
0P6B110 m8_ul Australia
0P6B150 m8_ul_tw Taiwan
0P6B120 m8_ul Developer edition [US]
0P6B170 m8_ul Google Play Edition[US]
0P6B120 m8_ul_ca AT&T [US]
0P6B130 m8_ul T-Mobile
0P6B700 m8_whl Sprint [US]
ONEM8HKE? m8_whl Harman Kardon Edition, Sprint [US]
0P6B200 m8_wlv Verizon [US], both Android and WP 8.1
0P6B160 m8_ul_cnd Telus/Rogers [CA]
0P6B600 m8_dug China (China Unicom)
0P6B610 m8_dugl China (China Unicom) ?
0P6B400 m8_dwg China (China Telecom)
0P6B500 m8_tl China (China Mobile)

You also have super cid (11111111) which let's you install any rom (or any ruu), regardless of your carrier

This thread will help you understand the terms and what S-OFF means etc etc. As for ROMs, you gonna have to pick for yourself

Last edited:

TITANote2LTE

Jan 28, 2013
@Dragostini

I essentially did the same thing, came from an S5 to the One M8. (Rogers as well)
Your M8 is running a kick ass ROM already, a couple bugs here and there, but sense 7 is sweet. Crushes Touchwiz we had on the s5 eh, only thing I miss is the finger print scanner, minor lol.

As mentioned you are s-off, I'd recommend looking at GPE ROM, not the full conversion yet, try the GPE ROM see how you like it, BoomSound, IR, Duo Cam, Motion Gestures all still work great. Theres a .zip you can flash in recovery to have stock sense 7 camera/gallery with 95% of features working (No Zoe' or) Trust me, you'll notice a difference in camera performance between stock sense and GPE, this makes up for it.

GPE+Cam mod=flashigoodness <--I think I'm drunk. Rolled that combo out for a while

Cheers

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
Your m8 is already on steroids; I would not do anything extra.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

Questions:

4. Stable miui?

Cheers!

1. Do a getvar all for all info and post it here or search for yourself the model on Google (don't post serials and imei) reboot in bootloader, enter fastboot and connect to pc and from cmd type fastboot getvar all (drivers may be needed)

2. Refer to 1

3. Yes :)

4.?

5. Peel smart remote is the IR controller and dot view is HTC app for their dot view case.

6 Don't mess with what you don't understand, especially if you are s-off

7. Yes

Sent from my HTC One_M8