Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Non-carrier firmware vs carrier firmware

OP RockStar2005

25th August 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #11  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,295
 
7,549 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

Smokin,
is there any gain or loss of quality etc in downloading a carrier-specific firmware or OTA, or no difference at all?

Quality of what? It seems like a very subjective question. Fixes and other updates are almost always going to come out sooner on the "international" unbranded version. That much is "better". But some folks like carrier-specific features. For example, doesn't T-Mob have WiFi calling? Some AT&T folks like Visual Voicemail and ISIS (payment system), while I (just personally) can care less for such things.

As far as band support, having your carrier's radio (or one that is at least compatible with your carrier) plus the custom ROM of your choice should take care of any band compatibility issues.
Last edited by redpoint73; 25th August 2014 at 07:09 PM.
25th August 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCNerdYoda

EPSM is the ExtremePowerSavingMode introduced by HTC and yes the update came out on the day the One M8 got released. At least it did for the WWE (World Wide English) variants of the HTC - which are the official HTC variants without any - if just like here - software branding by the providers.

In my opinion that's what leeds to long period between HTC own OTAs and carrier OTAs of any smartphone. The carriers - be it T-Mobile, Vodafone or some others - try to integrate their own bloatware into those updates. T-Mob e.g. says there are still issues with the EPSM, but asking me those problems are likely to be triggered by T-Mobiles own bloatware.

And well fixes for e.g. GPS just arrive much later on carrier-branded devices ....

Yoda,

Oh yeah........ ok, EPSM. Got it. Yeah that came out weeks later on T-Mobile, but ok that's cool that HTC released it the same day the M8 was released. Yeah, I guess that makes sense b/c they're adding more into it, but not anything important. But I'm still not getting how bloatware fits in to the firmware? I understand bloatware like all the T-Mobile-specific apps that come with the phone, but what bloatware comes in the updates??

Yeah that's definitely a possibility........... like perhaps certain parts of their "firmware bloatware" are interfering or not compatible with the EPSM.

Well that's not good. Those fixes should be deployed before anything else. Google Maps is only as good as the phone's GPS capabilities.

Thanks,

RockStar2005
25th August 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #13  
HTCNerdYoda's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 90
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

Yoda,

Oh yeah........ ok, EPSM. Got it. Yeah that came out weeks later on T-Mobile, but ok that's cool that HTC released it the same day the M8 was released. Yeah, I guess that makes sense b/c they're adding more into it, but not anything important. But I'm still not getting how bloatware fits in to the firmware? I understand bloatware like all the T-Mobile-specific apps that come with the phone, but what bloatware comes in the updates??

Yeah that's definitely a possibility........... like perhaps certain parts of their "firmware bloatware" are interfering or not compatible with the EPSM.

Well that's not good. Those fixes should be deployed before anything else. Google Maps is only as good as the phone's GPS capabilities.

Thanks,

RockStar2005

You're welcome RockStar!

Firmware (such as ICS, Jelly Bean, KitKat) on your phone is the core system. The ROM IS just the OS on top of it. But the OS is configured to perform with a specific core, meaning that a carrier OS version is programmed to work with a specially designed firmware. Thus firmware for e.g. a T-Mobile ROM (OS) is a little bit altered compared to the one for a pure HTC ROM, as it has to fit the ROM altered by T-Mobile.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
25th August 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCNerdYoda

You're welcome RockStar!

Firmware (such as ICS, Jelly Bean, KitKat) on your phone is the core system. The ROM IS just the OS on top of it. But the OS is configured to perform with a specific core, meaning that a carrier OS version is programmed to work with a specially designed firmware. Thus firmware for e.g. a T-Mobile ROM (OS) is a little bit altered compared to the one for a pure HTC ROM, as it has to fit the ROM altered by T-Mobile.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Yoda,

I see. Well right now I use ViperOne M8, and although the last firmware was from T-Mo, the one I just got (2.22) was not carrier-specific (http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware). Though I believe ViperOne M8 is designed to be compatible with all variants?

I see what you're saying better now, but I don't know if I'd call the T-Mobile firmware & ROM "bloatware". But I guess to really know how to refer to it, I'd have to ask: What kind of changes do they make to the carrier one?

Thanks,

RockStar2005
25th August 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #15  
HTCNerdYoda's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 90
 
354 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

Yoda,

I see. Well right now I use ViperOne M8, and although the last firmware was from T-Mo, the one I just got (2.22) was not carrier-specific (http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware). Though I believe ViperOne M8 is designed to be compatible with all variants?

I see what you're saying better now, but I don't know if I'd call the T-Mobile firmware & ROM "bloatware". But I guess to really know how to refer to it, I'd have to ask: What kind of changes do they make to the carrier one?

Thanks,

RockStar2005

Yes, the one you got is the WWE firmware. And yes again, ViperOne works with most 2.22.xxx.x firmwares, but is build upon 2.22.401.5.

Changes are as @redpoint73 already said e.g. Wifi calling in case of the T-Mobile firmware.
25th August 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Quality of what? It seems like a very subjective question. Fixes and other updates are almost always going to come out sooner on the "international" unbranded version. That much is "better". But some folks like carrier-specific features. For example, doesn't T-Mob have WiFi calling? Some AT&T folks like Visual Voicemail and ISIS (payment system), while I (just personally) can care less for such things.

As far as band support, having your carrier's radio (or one that is at least compatible with your carrier) plus the custom ROM of your choice should take care of any band compatibility issues.

Red,

I just meant quality of how the phone interacts with the network, etc.

Yes that is true. Though ROMs like the one I have, ViperOne M8, have managed to include things like Wi-Fi Calling in their options. Since ViperOne is fully compatible with T-Mobile M8s, and they have been good about offering the same things T-Mo does, then it seems to be all good. I think Six was just saying it's really only an issue when you use one carrier's phone on another carrier's network.

Thanks,

RockStar2005
25th August 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCNerdYoda

Yes, the one you got is the WWE firmware. And yes again, ViperOne works with most 2.22.xxx.x firmwares, but is build upon 2.22.401.5.

Changes are as @redpoint73 already said e.g. Wifi calling in case of the T-Mobile firmware.

Yoda,

Ok. I just said int'l, but I guess WWE is the same thing. Good to know.

Yeah. ViperOne didn't have Wi-Fi Calling for a lil while but as of last week the most recent update re-enabled it on my M8. I never use it though b/c it totally blocks incoming/outgoing MMS (though not regular SMS) messages. Even one customer service rep lady at T-Mobile told me she has the same issue, and has for years. I would only use it if I was in another country and wanted to make a free call and had access to Wi-Fi. But I'd shut it off the second I was done with that call. lol

Thanks,

RockStar2005
25th August 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #18  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,295
 
7,549 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

Red,

I just meant quality of how the phone interacts with the network, etc.

Its not normally a function of the ROM. As long as you are on a T-Mob compatible radio, it shouldn't matter what ROM you are on.

Although there is the other complication that has been mentioned: with any 2.xx based custom ROM (ViperOne included) you need to be using updated firmware (not to be confused with the ROM). So you will want a firmware that plays well with the 2.xx ROM, and one that plays well with T-Mobile's network.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

the one I just got (2.22) was not carrier-specific (http://www.renovate-themes.de/index.php?s=firmware). Though I believe ViperOne M8 is designed to be compatible with all variants?

2.22.401 firmware is for the unbranded "international" variant. Its not specifically designed for use in the US, and at least for AT&T, it has caused reception issues from dodgy reception, to no service whatsoever (solution was to flash 2.22.1540 firmware). So not sure how this will play out on the T-Mob network.

Best bet would be to flash the firmware from the new T-Mob OTA rolling out, but I don't think its been posted here yet.
Last edited by redpoint73; 25th August 2014 at 09:29 PM.
25th August 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #19  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
399 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Yeah, though I was referring more to the firmware than the ROM.

Yes..... true. Yeah the firmware is just the various data and ROM is like the interface. I believe the 2.22.401.5 firmware is fully compatible. If you believe it's not, please let me know.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

2.22.401 firmware is for the unbranded "international" variant. Its not specifically designed for use in the US, and at least for AT&T, it has caused reception issues from dodgy reception, to no service whatsoever (solution was to flash 2.22.1540 firmware). So not sure how this will play out on the T-Mob network.

Best bet would be to flash the firmware from the new T-Mob OTA rolling out, but I don't think its been posted here yet.[/QUOTE]

The firmware I have is 2.22.401.5. And ViperOne M8 offers (using 2.22.401.5 as a base) full T-Mo functionality:

ViperOneM8 2.2.0 (August 19)
ADDED full T-Mobile carrier support
FIXED T-Mobile WIFI calling
FIXED Locked IPV4/6 Settings
FIXED AOSP incoming call workaround not working

ViperOneM8 2.1.0 (August 16)
Merged with HTC OTA 2.22.401.5
Added new stock kernel from OTA (Only full ROM)
GPS improvements and fixes from HTC
Workaround white gap in dialer when having custom stock navbar size
Fixed Notification icon color
Added longpress power custom actions

So after reading that, would you say I'm at the equivalent of T-Mo's OTA, or T-Mo's is still better? I just hate waiting on T-Mo, esp if their OTAs are not perfect either (see Yoda's posts in this thread). Team Venom (who makes ViperOne) has told me they base their updates on T-Mobile's, but tweak them to work better with ViperOne. So I guess their's aren't pure HTC either. lol

Thank You,

RockStar2005

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes