FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Converting to GPe. Firewater fail

1st September 2014, 07:50 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Hi guys. I'm convert ing my AT&T M8 to GPe since I'm used to using my nexus tablet so much. This is my first shot at custom ROMs with android but I used to be big into the homebrew scene in the good old PSP days, so I'm not a stranger to modifying devices past their potential lol.

I've flashed my custom recovery and have installed supersu to the device, however.0, after running firewater, it fails and says firewater can't work with the device. It stops after "chugging first bottle"

I even installed Insertcoin rom because it says to do it with a rom with an insecure kernel for better results and it still fails.


- on a side note, while I have insertcoin installed in the meantime, does anyone know why after I flashed the rom my boot time is a few minutes long now? Seems strange to me.


Anyways, any help/comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
 
 
1st September 2014, 08:11 AM |#2  
BerndM14's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 550
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebop

Hi guys. I'm convert ing my AT&T M8 to GPe since I'm used to using my nexus tablet so much. This is my first shot at custom ROMs with android but I used to be big into the homebrew scene in the good old PSP days, so I'm not a stranger to modifying devices past their potential lol.

I've flashed my custom recovery and have installed supersu to the device, however.0, after running firewater, it fails and says firewater can't work with the device. It stops after "chugging first bottle"

I even installed Insertcoin rom because it says to do it with a rom with an insecure kernel for better results and it still fails.


- on a side note, while I have insertcoin installed in the meantime, does anyone know why after I flashed the rom my boot time is a few minutes long now? Seems strange to me.


Anyways, any help/comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

HTC patched the exploit Firewater used, doesn't work anymore. Can try Sunshine S-OFF

[Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices

It's $25 , though it works and even in the event that it "might" not work. Your device gets tested to make sure it'll work before you have to pay the money, so if it passes you can pay, if it won't succeed you won't need to pay $25 for something that won't work...
1st September 2014, 04:22 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Ah fiddlesticks! No way around that, huh? Well I guess I can learn to live with Sense. Does anybody recommend any other roms that don't need s-off other than the Insertcoin one I'm running now? I can learn to live with it but it does take roughly 5 minutes to boot, which is kind of a pain. Just wondering. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
1st September 2014, 04:54 PM |#4  
agentbardall's Avatar
Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebop

Ah fiddlesticks! No way around that, huh? Well I guess I can learn to live with Sense. Does anybody recommend any other roms that don't need s-off other than the Insertcoin one I'm running now? I can learn to live with it but it does take roughly 5 minutes to boot, which is kind of a pain. Just wondering. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

the long boot time is due to out of date firmware look in the development section on updating firmware with S-On
The Following User Says Thank You to agentbardall For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st September 2014, 04:55 PM |#5  
metaphz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wyoming
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
You can run GPE edition ROMS on your device. Check out SkyDragon GPE or SinlessGPE
The Following User Says Thank You to metaphz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 01:11 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphz

You can run GPE edition ROMS on your device. Check out SkyDragon GPE or SinlessGPE

I flashed Sinless. So far I love it and no issues. Thank you for the suggestion!
2nd September 2014, 01:19 AM |#7  
metaphz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wyoming
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebop

I flashed Sinless. So far I love it and no issues. Thank you for the suggestion!

No problem Keep me posted on what you like or dislike. I've been running SkyDragon since I got my HTC and would like to try that since I am itching to flash something.

Don't forget to check out Gravity Box for KK on he Xposed modules.
2nd September 2014, 01:42 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphz

No problem Keep me posted on what you like or dislike. I've been running SkyDragon since I got my HTC and would like to try that since I am itching to flash something.

Don't forget to check out Gravity Box for KK on he Xposed modules.

definitely will check it out once I get into the rom a bit.

One more quick, possibly stupid question (I'm sorry to be a pain). Granted, I understand that the sense overlay is meant to run the sense based software and was never designed for crossover development, but is there any way to bring over the duo camera software to the GPe rom? If not, it's no big deal. I was just curious. It's honestly the only thing I'd miss. The standard google cam software is alright, but I know the camera is meant to do certain things. Just wondering.
2nd September 2014, 02:40 AM |#9  
metaphz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Wyoming
Thanks Meter: 81
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebop

definitely will check it out once I get into the rom a bit.

One more quick, possibly stupid question (I'm sorry to be a pain). Granted, I understand that the sense overlay is meant to run the sense based software and was never designed for crossover development, but is there any way to bring over the duo camera software to the GPe rom? If not, it's no big deal. I was just curious. It's honestly the only thing I'd miss. The standard google cam software is alright, but I know the camera is meant to do certain things. Just wondering.

In not entirely certain about this but apparently since GPE was built specific for this device the GPE camera app supports the hardware of the camera including the duo. The difference is the camera effects which can be done post picture with the HTC software available from the play store
2nd September 2014, 02:42 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphz

In not entirely certain about this but apparently since GPE was built specific for this device the GPE camera app supports the hardware of the camera including the duo. The difference is the camera effects which can be done post picture with the HTC software available from the play store


Alright cool. Thank you so much.


Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes