Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Ease of reverting to stock firmware compared to N5

OP JohnnyTA

2nd July 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
I'm wondering specifically about reverting back to stock firmware - how easy is that on the Google Play Edition HTC One M8?

For example, I flash TWRP, root my GPE One, and add Xposed. Then, let's say I want to revert to a fully stock factory image so I can receive an OTA update. Is that possible? With a Nexus 5, you can just download the factory images and run a flash-all script to wipe the phone and set it back to stock.
2nd July 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,248

13,617 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTA

I'm wondering specifically about reverting back to stock firmware - how easy is that on the Google Play Edition HTC One M8?

For example, I flash TWRP, root my GPE One, and add Xposed. Then, let's say I want to revert to a fully stock factory image so I can receive an OTA update. Is that possible? With a Nexus 5, you can just download the factory images and run a flash-all script to wipe the phone and set it back to stock.

There are no factory images publicly available for the GPe, but there is an RUU made by @graffixnyc that should be usable to go back to stock but perhaps see if he chimes in here or not before taking my word for it...
2nd July 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
On a relative basis, how hard are RUU's to flash? I'm assuming I'd have to be s-off to do that?
2nd July 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #4  
Flag midland
Thanks Meter: 61

350 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

On a relative basis, how hard are RUU's to flash? I'm assuming I'd have to be s-off to do that?

s off yes, and just a few adb commands in ruu mode
3rd July 2014, 01:24 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 217

594 posts
Quote:

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip gpe.zip
fastboot reboot

done! Completely wipes phone btw. If you don't want to wipe phone, just keep a backup of stock rom, and switch back to it and flash stock recovery, take ota, flash custom recovery, backup current for future updates, and restore your custom backup. You can also flash ota's on custom as long as you follow instructions for cid etc…
Last edited by an0ther; 3rd July 2014 at 01:30 AM.
6th July 2014, 12:18 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot reboot

done! Completely wipes phone btw. If you don't want to wipe phone, just keep a backup of stock rom, and switch back to it and flash stock recovery, take ota, flash custom recovery, backup current for future updates, and restore your custom backup. You can also flash ota's on custom as long as you follow instructions for cid etc…

Thanks for the help. So when I first get the One (hopefully be here tuesday), I should probably 1.) Unlock bootloader 2.) flash TWRP 3.) create nandroid of stock 4.) root device 5.) achieve S-off (first with firewater, if it doesn't work, then sunshine) 6.) assuming I'd prefer my device to be fully stock and able to receive OTA updates, restore my nandroid from step 3. and then flash the stock recovery.

With all that, I'd effectively have an unlocked, S-Off device that would receive OTA updates. This would allow me to have the option to add twrp / flah custom ROMs in the future and have the option to use an RUU if I really screw something up.

Are there any other steps I should take?
6th July 2014, 01:35 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 217

594 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the help. So when I first get the One (hopefully be here tuesday), I should probably 1.) Unlock bootloader 2.) flash TWRP 3.) create nandroid of stock 4.) root device 5.) achieve S-off (first with firewater, if it doesn't work, then sunshine) 6.) assuming I'd prefer my device to be fully stock and able to receive OTA updates, restore my nandroid from step 3. and then flash the stock recovery.

With all that, I'd effectively have an unlocked, S-Off device that would receive OTA updates. This would allow me to have the option to add twrp / flah custom ROMs in the future and have the option to use an RUU if I really screw something up.

Are there any other steps I should take?

Sunshine will unlock bootloader do no need to register phone. Root with towelroot and Soff with sunshine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:

Sunshine will unlock bootloader so no need to register phone. Root with towelroot and Soff with sunshine.

Quote:

Sunshine will unlock bootloader do no need to register phone. Root with towelroot and Soff with sunshine.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread