Facebook BlinkFeed content not updating

Search This thread

blinkash

Apr 21, 2012
Nagpur
Hello, everyone.

HTC M8 is my fourth HTC device. When I log on to Facebook app and enable it in Services & Apps in BlinkFeed, I still do not see any content from Facebook. I get content from LinkedIn and others fine on BlinkFeed, but not Facebook.

I have done almost everything I could do and followed everything I could find on Google, but no luck. I thought it was BlinkFeed problem, but my friends don't have this problem. I had the same issue on M8 EYE.

I wrote a mail to HTC as well as Facebook, but they too were not able to resolve the problem. I didn't even get a reply from Facebook.

Finally, I thought there might be a problem with my Facebook account. I have now asked Facebook to delete my account completely. I have 12 days before my account gets completely erased. I hope somebody might be able to help me here.

Thanks.

sundeep.677

Apr 25, 2012
Hello, everyone.

HTC M8 is my fourth HTC device. When I log on to Facebook app and enable it in Services & Apps in BlinkFeed, I still do not see any content from Facebook. I get content from LinkedIn and others fine on BlinkFeed, but not Facebook.

I have done almost everything I could do and followed everything I could find on Google, but no luck. I thought it was BlinkFeed problem, but my friends don't have this problem. I had the same issue on M8 EYE.

I wrote a mail to HTC as well as Facebook, but they too were not able to resolve the problem. I didn't even get a reply from Facebook.

Finally, I thought there might be a problem with my Facebook account. I have now asked Facebook to delete my account completely. I have 12 days before my account gets completely erased. I hope somebody might be able to help me here.

Thanks.
I'm also facing the same issue on M8 Eye where Blinkfeed not getting updated with facebook feeds, Can someone help

Drew Peacock

Nov 1, 2011
You guys aren't alone, I to have the same issue. I've had some success at remedying the problem by creating a new fb account. Even this is flaky as only a few feeds are updated. My original fb account still won't play nicely With BlinkFeed and still has no content.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Yep, same problem here.

And it's being going on for quite a while!! Facebook not updating in Blinkfeed:(.

---

I'm not generally a big fan of Facebook; I only use it because some close family members are on it...

This problem, I'm sure, lies with the Facebook app itself, and not with Blinkfeed... since the Twitter app, Google Plus app and the Tumblr app, all update successfully in Blinkfeed on my M8, as well as sundry custom search feeds.

Further, and aside from Blinkfeed, the Facebook app notifications are very hit and miss for me, not just on my M8, but on all my Android devices. Some notifications are delivered... most, however, are not:(.

---

Anyhow, given my scarce usage of Facebook, I've decided to uninstall it from my M8.... (it's also an incredible space hog, consuming 158Mb of internal storage:()... and just keep apprised of family events via Facebook on Chrome.

Aside from freeing up 158Mb of internal storage, my M8 now **feels** more responsive.

And, certainly, manually updating Blinkfeed by 'pulling down' now just takes a second or two... instead of the good half-minute it used to, whilst waiting for Facebook to get it's 'skates on'... And which of course, it rarely (if ever), it actually does:(.

---

I suspect at some point, Blinkfeed just 'times out' waiting for Facebook to deliver content, and then moves on to whatever else is in your Blinkfeed 'feed' .

---

My M8 isn't rooted, and I don't have any immediate plans to root it... But it might be an interesting exercise, for those who are rooted, to examine a Logcat output, whilst Blinkfeed is attempting to 'read' Facebook content, in order to ascertain some sense of what is going on behind the scenes, so to speak:).

In the meantime, and until Facebook fixes this problem with their app, there's probably not much that can be done, unfortunately:(.

Well, that's my view anyway:).

Rgrds,
Ged.

Reactions: blinkash

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

Go to the phone's (not Blinkfeed) Settings>Accounts & sync, and make sure Facebook is listed there (add it, if it isn't) and synching properly. I think Blinkfeed accesses FB directly, and not through the FB app.

In fact, if you look through your apps, you will see there is a "Facebook for HTC Sense" as well as "Facebook" (if you installed it from the Play Store).

For that matter, maybe try to clear cache or clear data for the "Facebook for HTC Sense" if the above suggestions don't solve the issue.

blinkash

Apr 21, 2012
Nagpur
Thanks for the reply

Hi Redpoint,

Thanks for your reply. There is one other problem with it. There is no "Facebook for HTC Sense". It used to be on all my previous HTC devices. But it just isn't there now. That's what I thought the problem was. Can anybody please confirm it?

Go to the phone's (not Blinkfeed) Settings>Accounts & sync, and make sure Facebook is listed there (add it, if it isn't) and synching properly. I think Blinkfeed accesses FB directly, and not through the FB app.

In fact, if you look through your apps, you will see there is a "Facebook for HTC Sense" as well as "Facebook" (if you installed it from the Play Store).

For that matter, maybe try to clear cache or clear data for the "Facebook for HTC Sense" if the above suggestions don't solve the issue.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Hi Redpoint,

Thanks for your reply. There is one other problem with it. There is no "Facebook for HTC Sense". It used to be on all my previous HTC devices. But it just isn't there now. That's what I thought the problem was. Can anybody please confirm it?

Hi, blinkash...

There is a 'Facebook for HTC Sense' app on my M8... running unrooted & unmodified stock Lollipop 5.0.1.

But you won't find it in the app drawer.

It's in the SETTINGS>>APPS>>ALL tab.
(See the first screenshot below.)

The actual APK/app is located in /system/priv-app/Facebook.
(See the second screenshot below.)

As you can see, it's pretty small, clocking in at just 2.4Mb.

---

I would really like to report that clearing it's data and/or cache resolves the Blinkfeed/Facebook update problem... Sadly, however, it does not... At least it doesn't for me:(.

---

As far as I can work out, all that 'Facebook for HTC Sense' does is provide a 'hook/entry' and an authorisation point for the official Facebook app to deliver Facebook content to Blinkfeed.
(See the third and fourth screenshot below.)

And sadly, and as others have commented on this thread, this mechanism is not quite working the way it should:(.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Attachments

• 01-Screenshot_2015-03-13-00-01-01.png
    01-Screenshot_2015-03-13-00-01-01.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 354
  • 02-Screenshot_2015-03-13-00-13-23.jpg
    02-Screenshot_2015-03-13-00-13-23.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 03-Screenshot_2015-03-12-20-43-59.png
    03-Screenshot_2015-03-12-20-43-59.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 04-Screenshot_2015-03-13-01-26-12.jpg
    04-Screenshot_2015-03-13-01-26-12.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, everyone.

Thanks.
    This may be of interest to others here.

I have been in touch with HTC technical support regarding the issue of Facebook not updating in Blinkfeed. They have told me that this is a know problem on the One M8 after upgrade to Lollipop and that a fix is being worked on. I was told to keep checking for new software updates on the phone and in the Play store so it is not clear if the fix will be to the Blinkfeed app or Facebook app or both. I'll just have to wait and see, but at least HTC are aware of the problem.
    I am having this too

I am having this too.
    I cant believe we are just a few people having this!
    You guys aren't alone, I to have the same issue. I've had some success at remedying the problem by creating a new fb account. Even this is flaky as only a few feeds are updated. My original fb account still won't play nicely With BlinkFeed and still has no content.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
    Hi Redpoint,

Hi, blinkash...

There is a 'Facebook for HTC Sense' app on my M8... running unrooted & unmodified stock Lollipop 5.0.1.

But you won't find it in the app drawer.

It's in the SETTINGS>>APPS>>ALL tab.
    (See the first screenshot below.)

The actual APK/app is located in /system/priv-app/Facebook.
    (See the second screenshot below.)

As you can see, it's pretty small, clocking in at just 2.4Mb.

---

I would really like to report that clearing it's data and/or cache resolves the Blinkfeed/Facebook update problem... Sadly, however, it does not... At least it doesn't for me:(.

---

As far as I can work out, all that 'Facebook for HTC Sense' does is provide a 'hook/entry' and an authorisation point for the official Facebook app to deliver Facebook content to Blinkfeed.
    (See the third and fourth screenshot below.)

And sadly, and as others have commented on this thread, this mechanism is not quite working the way it should:(.

Rgrds,
    Ged.