Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,399 Members 52,174 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing ROMS and having S-ON

Tip us?

Sinchero
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Flashing ROMS and having S-ON

Hey guys, i just flashed my M8 using vomer's Guide, everything went great except for the S-OFF part, firewater didn't work on my variant (T-Mobile Version), i was just wondering if it will affect my phone in any way while trying to flash a custom rom, right now im looking at flashing Skydragon's GPE or Sense version

RossMacgill
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
You can still flash roms with s on, just not do the GPe conversations
HTC One (M8) Stock, S-Off, Rooted / Nexus 4 -Rooted Stock
Previous Devices, HTC One X, HTC DesireHD, and a long list..........
The Following User Says Thank You to RossMacgill For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sinchero
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
The ones known as RUU right?

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
If you flash a Sense 2.22 based custom ROM, its recommended that you flash the updated firmware package (S-off required) or else wait until the 2.22 based OTA rolls out for your version (which will include "official" firmware).

If the updated firmware is not installed, 2.22 based ROMs will usually cause some major bugs, like excessive long boot time, broken WiFi and Bluetooth, etc.

S-off is usually not "required" to flash a ROM per se. This is an exception where the older firmware modules (not included in the ROM itself) are not playing well with the newer based ROMs.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

Sinchero
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
If you flash a Sense 2.22 based custom ROM, its recommended that you flash the updated firmware package (S-off required) or else wait until the 2.22 based OTA rolls out for your version (which will include "official" firmware).

If the updated firmware is not installed, 2.22 based ROMs will usually cause some major bugs, like excessive long boot time, broken WiFi and Bluetooth, etc.

S-off is usually not "required" to flash a ROM per se. This is an exception where the older firmware modules (not included in the ROM itself) are not playing well with the newer based ROMs.
So if i flash Skydragon's Sense based rom i will encounter major bugs? well thats too bad
but the Skydragon GPE Rom is fine right?

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinchero View Post
So if i flash Skydragon's Sense based rom i will encounter major bugs? well thats too bad
You can always try it and see. I'm not sure if 100% of folks will have this issue (if you do not update firmware), but others have said you will "probably" have some major bugs.

On the other hand, if you are s-off and already have fastboot setup on your computer, the process to update firmware takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

Quote:
but the Skydragon GPE Rom is fine right?
Not completely certain, you should read/search the Skkydragon GPE thread, or maybe somebody who knows can chime in.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sinchero
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
You can always try it and see. I'm not sure if 100% of folks will have this issue (if you do not update firmware), but others have said you will "probably" have some major bugs.

On the other hand, if you are s-off and already have fastboot setup on your computer, the process to update firmware takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

Not completely certain, you should read/search the Skkydragon GPE thread, or maybe somebody who knows can chime in.
i just found out that they have a separate version for the T-Mobile variant, maybe thats what i will install, on a side note, do you think it would be a good idea to take the plunge and pay for the sunshine method to gain S-OFF?

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
do you think it would be a good idea to take the plunge and pay for the sunshine method to gain S-OFF?
Its very much a personal choice. It you want the freedom to be able to flash firmware packages, radios, etc. at will; and $25 is something that you can afford to give away, then I'd say its recommended.

I had the luxury of being able to s-off earlier on for free, with firewater.

mr.loverlover
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Well, I'm s-on and I've already had gpe edition installed.

Sent from HTC One m8, or maybe not anymore
Devices until now:
SE K600i ->SE G900 -> Xperia X10 -> Sgs 2 -> Note n7000 -> Lg L9 II D605 -> s4 zoom -> Note 2 N7105 -> Note 2 N7100 -> Xperia Z -> S4 Zoom -> Lg G2 -> Xperia Z1 -> Galaxy S4 -> Xperia Z1 (White) -> Htc One M8

Sinchero
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Its very much a personal choice. It you want the freedom to be able to flash firmware packages, radios, etc. at will; and $25 is something that you can afford to give away, then I'd say its recommended.

I had the luxury of being able to s-off earlier on for free, with firewater.
All right, thanks for the help, i think i will leave S-ON, maybe some time later i will decide to pay the $25 so i can have S-OFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.loverlover View Post
Well, I'm s-on and I've already had gpe edition installed.

Sent from HTC One m8, or maybe not anymore
The Skydragon version or the stock version?