Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Flashing a "Rooted & S-OFF'd" restore on a new M8

OP RockStar2005

27th August 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88

399 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Are you currently on a custom ROM? If so, they are pre-rooted by definition. So restoring a nandroid of a custom ROM will give you root, yes. But so will flashing any custom ROM on the new device or just flashing SuperSU/SU.

Even if on a stock ROM and rooted, I believe this will also migrate over if you restore a nandroid to a new device.

But in any case, root is a simple thing once the bootloader is unlocked and custom recovery is installed. It takes about 2 minutes, so whether you can migrate this or not via TWRP is really a very minor point.

Red,

Yeah I use ViperOne M8. Or do you just mean am I running things on a rooted nandroid recovery? The answer is yes to that one as well. The one I'm using now is unlocked rooted and S-OFF'd.

So basically again, I HAVE to unlock b/c that's the only way to get TWRP access, but the root can be quickly obtained via flashing my custom ROM. And of course S-OFF must be repeated because that can't be simply flashed the way root is.

Well I think it took me longer than 2 minutes, but still, I'd rather just flash it anyway. lol

Thanks!!!

RockStar2005
27th August 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,275

7,490 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

the root can be quickly obtained via flashing my custom ROM.

Yes, whether you restore a nandroid of a rooted ROM, or flash a rooted ROM, SU or SuperSU is contained in the ROM. So you will have root.
27th August 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88

399 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Yes, whether you restore a nandroid of a rooted ROM, or flash a rooted ROM, SU or SuperSU is contained in the ROM. So you will have root.

That's awesome Red! Thanks for clarifying all that!

Take Care,

RockStar2005
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread