Getting Error Code 963 / 907 from the Play Store? Read here.

Search This thread

Cykhet

Apr 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hello all,

Recently Google updated the Play Store to version 5.5.12 and HTC users on M7, M8 and M9 have all experienced intermittent errors when downloading from the Play Store. If you've encountered an error code 963 / 907, please read on.

The following is a bug report capturing the output from the Google Play store upon reaching this error. The below was tested while downloading the game: "Monument Valley"
05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] DownloadImpl.setState: com.ustwo.monumentvalley from DOWNLOADING to SUCCESS.
05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] DownloadQueueImpl.onComplete: com.ustwo.monumentvalley: onComplete
05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] DownloadQueueImpl.remove: Download com.ustwo.monumentvalley removed from DownloadQueue
05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] InstallerTask.startCopyFromDownload: Prepare to copy com.ustwo.monumentvalley (com.ustwo.monumentvalley) from content://downloads/my_downloads/119 (expect 18533747 bytes)
05-25 14:37:38.985 6239 6310 E Finsky : [841] PackageInstallerImpl.getStream: Can't open session for com.ustwo.monumentvalley
05-25 14:37:38.985 6239 6310 W Finsky : [841] 7.doInBackground: IOException while copying com.ustwo.monumentvalley (com.ustwo.monumentvalley): java.io.IOException

05-25 14:37:38.995 4963 4963 V Herrevad: NQAS connected
05-25 14:37:38.995 6239 6239 E Finsky : [1] 7.onPostExecute: Error while copying download for com.ustwo.monumentvalley (com.ustwo.monumentvalley). isExternal=false isGzip=false

The error above suggests that the problem is related to inadequate permissions to the file system however, it's generally caused by having a microsd card mounted in your device. For whatever reason, the latest iteration of the Google Play store will attempt to save portions of a downloaded application on the SD card. Once the card has been unmounted from the device, the Play Store functions as expected.

I was able to rid myself of the errors above by performing the following steps (*Note I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, this is still work in progress)

• 1) Clear the application Cache / Data for the Google Play Store and Google Play Services through the Application Manager in Settings.
  • 2) Reopen the Play Store, navigate to Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page, if you're on build 5.5.12, you're OK to proceed. If your device is on an older revision, please wait a bit until the Play Store automatically pushes the latest build to your device.
  • 3) Navigate to Settings -> Storage and select: "Unmount SD Card"
  • 4) Navigate back to the Play Store and attempt to download updates, or any other application /game you were previously having issues downloading.
  • 5) Observe the results, if the problem goes away, great! If not, try physically taking the SD card out of your device, rebooting and following all of the above steps in order.

If you're still encountering Error 963 after unmounting your microsd card this is generally due to the incomplete binary blob files (*.obb) residing on the device's internal storage. To correct this, please follow step #1, then go back into the Play Store and attempt to re-download the application in question.

*NOTE* The above fix has been tested on a Verizon M8 on 5.0.1 and a Verizon M9 on 5.0.2 stock firmware.

*UPDATES*
  • Google is in the process of collecting bug reports and presumably working on a fix. If you've been affected by this bug, please contact Google Tech Support by clicking HERE. The more people that report this the quicker a fix will be issued.
  • It's been confirmed that this bug isn't specific to HTC devices, it's also been reported on the Samsung platform.

Please reply back with results, thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

Dan the wolf

May 26, 2015
error 963

it's the SD card an update cannot update data that is stored in the SD card I wrote this yesterday

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

to fix this problem we move the data back to the internal memory and then do the update and if you want to you can put the data back in the SD card

Cykhet

Apr 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
That's not the entirety of the problem I'm afraid. This doesn't just pertain to previously installed applications requiring updates. I understand your workaround however, this is also occurring when attempting to download applications / games which haven't previously existed on the device, therefore there's no pre-existing data to move. Unmounting the SD card in this particular instance will yield the expected results of the Play Store successfully installing the application to the device. It's also worth noting that this bug will not be observed on smaller files / updates. If you have an SD card mounted whether it be Fat32 / Exfat and attempt to download anything of size, for example a 300-600mb game, it will fail with error 963. Once the SD card is unmounted, the play store works as expected.

failed7.50

Jun 1, 2015
same thing happen

i follow the procedure and it works but....
after installing again another application in play store (error pop again" the .error(963"))
it only works after you clear the cache or clear data but after you install another apps error pop up again since playstore automatically updated itself. but i have no problem in updating my previous installed apps.
you must clear apps and cache or uninstall updates of playstore everytime you want to install new apps.
ps. i tried relogging my google account or changing to new account , unmount sd card format etc but samething happens it goes back to error(963).
user of htc one m8 sea versions

olwen669

Nov 19, 2014
Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales
Thank you so much

I have an HTC ONE M8 on stock lollipop and recently had problems installing apps from Playstore, it would take forever downloading and eventually have an errror code 963 on version playstore version 5.5.12.
Tried your suggestion about clearing cache & data from Play Services and Play Store and all apps updated immediately (I didn't have any apps stored on my SD at the time), I have unmounted and mounted the SD card and have since downloaded both apps which had previously given me that 963 code and all is going well .... Will kept you updated on any issues.

So thank you for again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-01-11-56-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-11-56-18.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Screenshot_2015-06-01-12-00-05.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-01-12-00-05.png
    177 KB · Views: 1,387
Reactions: Cykhet

daveHeyMan!

Jun 1, 2015
Error 963/907 work around

Hello all,

Recently Google updated the Play Store to version 5.5.12 and HTC users on M7, M8 and M9 have all experienced intermittent errors when downloading from the Play Store. If you've encountered an error code 963 / 907, please read on.

The following is a bug report capturing the output from the Google Play store upon reaching this error. The below was tested while downloading the game: "Monument Valley"

The error above suggests that the problem is related to permissions to the file system / internal storage however, it can also be caused if you have a microsd card mounted in your device.

I was able to rid myself of the errors above by performing the following steps (*Note I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, this is still work in progress)

• Clear the application Cache / Data for the Google Play Store and Google Play Services through the Application Manager in Settings.
  • Reopen the Play Store, navigate to Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page, if you're on build 5.5.12, you're OK to proceed. If your device is on an older revision, please wait a bit until the Play Store automatically pushes the latest build to your device.
  • Navigate to Settings -> Storage and select: "Unmount SD Card"
  • Navigate back to the Play Store and attempt to download updates, or any other application /game you were previously having issues downloading.
  • Observe the results, if the problem goes away, great! If not, try physically taking the SD card out of your device, rebooting and following all of the above steps in order.

Now that you've done this testing, try re-mounting, re-adding your MicroSD card back to your device and downloading from the Play Store. Observe the results, are you prompted by the Error again?, If so, you might want to consider formatting the SD card from within Settings -> Storage. If you're hesitant about doing this using the built in utility, there's a plethora of open-source / freeware tools available for properly partitioning SD cards. After you've properly formatted the card, try again and observe the results. Make sure you make a full backup of all data on your SD card prior to formatting!

Note, the above has been tested on a Verizon M8 running 5.0.1 on both Stock firmware and custom.

REPLY from: daveHeyMan!
I followed every one of your directions Except [*]Clear the application Data for the Google Play Store. I did not want to do that. (I did clear the cache for Google Play Store.) I tried with my MicroSD card unmounted, but it would not work. With my MicroSD card removed I was able to install 'Lara Croft:Relic Run'. I am so appreciative of your advice that I registered with xdadevelopers just to reply. Keep up the good work and Thanks.

Reactions: Cykhet

Cykhet

Apr 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
after installing again another application in play store (error pop again" the .error(963"))
it only works after you clear the cache or clear data but after you install another apps error pop up again since playstore automatically updated itself. but i have no problem in updating my previous installed apps.
you must clear apps and cache or uninstall updates of playstore everytime you want to install new apps.
ps. i tried relogging my google account or changing to new account , unmount sd card format etc but samething happens it goes back to error(963).

Once you unmount the SD card (Settings -> Storage -> Unmount SD Card, you have to clear the Cache & Data for the Play Store and Play Services. This will flush all previously failed downloaded binary blob files (*.obb) for the application you're trying to install. Once you've done this, go back into the Play Store and attempt to re-download the application in question.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Thanks!

I have an HTC ONE M8 on stock lollipop and recently had problems installing apps from Playstore, it would take forever downloading and eventually have an errror code 963 on version playstore version 5.5.12.
Tried your suggestion about clearing cache & data from Play Services and Play Store and all apps updated immediately (I didn't have any apps stored on my SD at the time), I have unmounted and mounted the SD card and have since downloaded both apps which had previously given me that 963 code and all is going well .... Will kept you updated on any issues.

So thank you for again.

Awesome, glad to hear that!

I followed every one of your directions Except [*]Clear the application Data for the Google Play Store. I did not want to do that. (I did clear the cache for Google Play Store.) I tried with my MicroSD card unmounted, but it would not work. With my MicroSD card removed I was able to install 'Lara Croft:Relic Run'. I am so appreciative of your advice that I registered with xdadevelopers just to reply. Keep up the good work and Thanks.

Dave, thank you! I'm glad the steps worked out for you. XDA has a wealth of information, welcome to the community.

Reactions: Nilsonf

JoHnNYBlaZE716

Dec 31, 2013
Buffalo
My wife was just experiencing this problem with her HTC One M8 and I did the instructions listed in the Op and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the information, I would've had an upset woman on my hands had she not been able to download her slot games lol

brightstar52

May 30, 2015
New Delhi
same problem on HTC One M8

Once you unmount the SD card (Settings -> Storage -> Unmount SD Card, you have to clear the Cache & Data for the Play Store and Play Services. This will flush all previously failed downloaded binary blob files (*.obb) for the application you're trying to install. Once you've done this, go back into the Play Store and attempt to re-download the application in question.

Thanks!

Dave, thank you! I'm glad the steps worked out for you. XDA has a wealth of information, welcome to the community.

I have been struggling with issue for a while. Implemented all suggestions but to no avail. Finally, i found a work around which is -- when an update shows up for an app, just uninstall the app if it has been previously shifted to Micro SD card.
Do a fresh install of the app from play store. It will get installed on phone memory flawlessly. The move the app to Micro SD. I know this is bothersome but it is working and i don't see dreaded error 963.
Thanks for the help.

Nilsonf

Nov 16, 2011

Thank you. This worked for me

Sighlence

Jun 2, 2015
I have been having this problem ever since Lollipop was forced to my phone. The app in question is Golf Star. It's currently 1.4gig and gets bigger the more i play/advance. The only way i can get it to work is to delete the app, then uninstall google play store updates, and re-download. Even then, once i close the app i have to go through the whole process all over again because it won't start back up until i do. I have reported it twice to google using the link you provided, but never got a call back(go figure). Going to try going back to kitkat to see if it works again, and hopefully it will be fixed in the new Lollipop update.

Sighlence

Jun 2, 2015
Update: Went back to KitKat 4.4.4 and everything is smooth as butter. Staying on KitKat until google gets their act together.

a69grunt

Jul 24, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Similar Problem with Galaxy S 5

Thanks for your help, Cykhet.
I got the error code while trying to update Route 66, which I have stored on the SD card. I moved it back to device storage and the update worked without further problems.

Hello all,

The error above suggests that the problem is related to inadequate permissions to the file system however, it's generally caused by having a microsd card mounted in your device. For whatever reason, the latest iteration of the Google Play store will attempt to save portions of a downloaded application on the SD card. Once the card has been unmounted from the device, the Play Store functions as expected.

• 1) Clear the application Cache / Data for the Google Play Store and Google Play Services through the Application Manager in Settings.
  • 2) Reopen the Play Store, navigate to Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page, if you're on build 5.5.12, you're OK to proceed. If your device is on an older revision, please wait a bit until the Play Store automatically pushes the latest build to your device.
  • 4) Navigate back to the Play Store and attempt to download updates, or any other application /game you were previously having issues downloading.
  • 5) Observe the results, if the problem goes away, great! If not, try physically taking the SD card out of your device, rebooting and following all of the above steps in order.

If you're still encountering Error 963 after unmounting your microsd card this is generally due to the incomplete binary blob files (*.obb) residing on the device's internal storage. To correct this, please follow step #1, then go back into the Play Store and attempt to re-download the application in question.

*NOTE* The above fix has been tested on a Verizon M8 on 5.0.1 and a Verizon M9 on 5.0.2 stock firmware.

*UPDATES*
  • Google is in the process of collecting bug reports and presumably working on a fix. If you've been affected by this bug, please contact Google Tech Support by clicking The more people that report this the quicker a fix will be issued.
  • It's been confirmed that this bug isn't specific to HTC devices, it's also been reported on the Samsung platform.

tib--

Sep 6, 2014
Hi all,

This is my first message in this forum. But I often read this forum when I have a question and when google shows me the way. :)
I need to contribute in this thread because it is the most relevant one concerning the problem I have.

My phone model is Samsung S4 mini GT-i9195, android 4.4.2 stock from samsung, about 2 years of normal using without any problem and a great phone with a really good reactivity.

Since 5 days, can't send/receive SMS, or if I can do this, there is a HUGE delay (from minutes to hours, and there is some messages I never received.).
Firstly, I thought it was network problem or SIM related problem. So I asked my mobile network provider. Calls are OK, SMS messenger provider is OK. The problem is not here, and I still can't send/receive SMS with my phone.
Sometimes a reboot can't send/receive the messages, but ot all of them, only a few ones.

A few days later, another kind of problem : the play store throw 963/907 errors. At this time, I really thought this phone gonna make me crazy. I also noticed that my phone's reactivity is bad, it reminds me the terrible ASUS TF700T tablet I bought 3 years ago (before updating the ROM)
Google shows me this topic.
So I tested your method of cleaning cache and unmount/remount SD card.

MIRACLE !
10 seconds after unmounting the SD card :
- I received lots of SMS I didn't received.
- The SMS I tryed to send were just sent.
- I also received 4 notifications of a "information application"
- The reactivity is great.
- And when I clicked on the play store, it updates my applications that were not partially installed on SD card.

So what ? Why my SD card is slowing my whole android phone. Why now ? I use this card for more than one year. (Transcend 32Gb Class 10 UHS-I 300x)
Is my SD Card dead ? No I still can read the files and folder in it.
Is my SD Card will soon be dead ? Maybe...

And now ? I already moved many applications from my phone to SD card. I really can't unmount remount SD card when somebody attempt to send me a SMS...

Any comment or suggestion ?

tib

Last edited:

wmrichard

Aug 28, 2012
For what it's worth the OnePlus X with opengapps, also has same problem. Unfortenetly CM12.1 has no option to unmount sd card. Hope Google will release an update or is there another workaround. Thanks.

paco_fhey

Apr 11, 2013
Torino
I've got a nexus 7 (2012) without SD, with cyanogenmod 12.1
How can I solve error 907/963?
No one of these solutions worked for me

prk.8june

Apr 18, 2015
Goolg play Store Error on updating apps

Hi. I had the same issue on my samsung grand 2 device after installing cynogenmod 12.1. For me the issue was, all the apps which I moved to SD Card were showing this Error:963 while updating. So I just move back my all app to phone memory. Now It's working like charm. Hope this trick work for you too

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] DownloadImpl.setState: com.ustwo.monumentvalley from DOWNLOADING to SUCCESS.
    05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] DownloadQueueImpl.onComplete: com.ustwo.monumentvalley: onComplete
    05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] DownloadQueueImpl.remove: Download com.ustwo.monumentvalley removed from DownloadQueue
    05-25 14:37:38.975 6239 6239 D Finsky : [1] InstallerTask.startCopyFromDownload: Prepare to copy com.ustwo.monumentvalley (com.ustwo.monumentvalley) from content://downloads/my_downloads/119 (expect 18533747 bytes)
    05-25 14:37:38.985 6239 6310 E Finsky : [841] PackageInstallerImpl.getStream: Can't open session for com.ustwo.monumentvalley
    05-25 14:37:38.985 6239 6310 W Finsky : [841] 7.doInBackground: IOException while copying com.ustwo.monumentvalley (com.ustwo.monumentvalley): java.io.IOException

05-25 14:37:38.995 4963 4963 V Herrevad: NQAS connected
    05-25 14:37:38.995 6239 6239 E Finsky : [1] 7.onPostExecute: Error while copying download for com.ustwo.monumentvalley (com.ustwo.monumentvalley). isExternal=false isGzip=false

*UPDATES*
    • Google is in the process of collecting bug reports and presumably working on a fix. If you've been affected by this bug, please contact Google Tech Support by clicking HERE. The more people that report this the quicker a fix will be issued.

Thank you so much

So thank you for again.
    Error 963/907 work around

Hello all,

The error above suggests that the problem is related to permissions to the file system / internal storage however, it can also be caused if you have a microsd card mounted in your device.

• Clear the application Cache / Data for the Google Play Store and Google Play Services through the Application Manager in Settings.
    • Reopen the Play Store, navigate to Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page, if you're on build 5.5.12, you're OK to proceed. If your device is on an older revision, please wait a bit until the Play Store automatically pushes the latest build to your device.
    • Navigate to Settings -> Storage and select: "Unmount SD Card"
    • Navigate back to the Play Store and attempt to download updates, or any other application /game you were previously having issues downloading.
    • Observe the results, if the problem goes away, great! If not, try physically taking the SD card out of your device, rebooting and following all of the above steps in order.

Now that you've done this testing, try re-mounting, re-adding your MicroSD card back to your device and downloading from the Play Store. Observe the results, are you prompted by the Error again?, If so, you might want to consider formatting the SD card from within Settings -> Storage. If you're hesitant about doing this using the built in utility, there's a plethora of open-source / freeware tools available for properly partitioning SD cards. After you've properly formatted the card, try again and observe the results. Make sure you make a full backup of all data on your SD card prior to formatting!

Note, the above has been tested on a Verizon M8 running 5.0.1 on both Stock firmware and custom.

Thanks!

So thank you for again.

HTC One M8 issue solved

Thanks for the tips. Problem solved on a HTC One M8 as well here.