Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,704 Members 52,703 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Second Hand One M8

Tip us?

Pkone123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Second Hand One M8

Hi All,

I am considering buying a second hand HTC One M8 from Swappa.

My concern about buying second hand is the worry the phones IMEI maybe locked weeks or months after I purchase it, is it safer to buy a phone that was bought unlocked direct from HTC versus one bought through a carrier which maybe still under contract and the seller may default and then the carrier locks it, I guess the seller of the phone bought unlocked direct from HTC could have insurance cover on the phone and report it lost or stolen after they sell it, could the phones IMEI then be locked??

Thanks in advance.

BerndM14
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkone123 View Post
Hi All,

My concern about buying second hand is the worry the phones IMEI maybe locked weeks or months after I purchase it, is it safer to buy a phone that was bought unlocked direct from HTC versus one bought through a carrier which maybe still under contract and the seller may default and then the carrier locks it, I guess the seller of the phone bought unlocked direct from HTC could have insurance cover on the phone and report it lost or stolen after they sell it, could the phones IMEI then be locked??

Thanks in advance.
It already happened where someone bought a device second hand then the seller reported the phone stolen/lost and the carrier DID in fact lock it. I wouldn't ever consider buying a device like this second hand.

If I was tight for money, I'd rather wait until the price of the device inevitably drops or save up over a couple of month and then buy the thing, either way it'll be a brand new device where I know that there won't be hassles like it being reported stolen.

Pkone123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM14 View Post
It already happened where someone bought a device second hand then the seller reported the phone stolen/lost and the carrier DID in fact lock it. I wouldn't ever consider buying a device like this second hand.

If I was tight for money, I'd rather wait until the price of the device inevitably drops or save up over a couple of month and then buy the thing, either way it'll be a brand new device where I know that there won't be hassles like it being reported stolen.
I wonder if it was bought direct from HTC unlocked and the seller had it insured have the insurance company the power to get the IMEI locked if it was reported lost or stolen?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1385

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I wonder if it was bought direct from HTC unlocked and the seller had it insured have the insurance company the power to get the IMEI locked if it was reported lost or stolen?
Yes, if they pay out/insure it. They technically buy the device from the owner and therefore can block it as they wish.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

// HTC One (M8) // GPE Stock // Stock GPE//

// Nexus 7 (flo) // Android L // Stock//

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal)/LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

philohtc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
Here you go, your best option before buying http://checkesnfree.com/index.html