Post Reply

Help! Accidentally hit the OTA upgrade while runing TWRP (bootloop)

19th August 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 123
 
485 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Pull your /data/data, its where your app data is stored. You should be able to put what you want back after reinstalling your apps. If you have enough time to do it using titanium backup might be easier. Also you can set titanium backup to do backups on a schedule which could help you in a situation like this in the future.

Sent from my One M8
19th August 2014, 11:22 PM   |  #22  
exocetdj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bristol UK
Thanks Meter: 2,114
 
3,095 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
just wondering of maybe, flashing stock recovery then manually applying OTA via stock recovery would work? or would the rom on the system be corrupted by TWRP trying to apply the update?
19th August 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #23  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by exocetdj

just wondering of maybe, flashing stock recovery then manually applying OTA via stock recovery would work? or would the rom on the system be corrupted by TWRP trying to apply the update?

TWRP didn't do anything... it just loaded up and I rebooted after my brain reminded me that I am dim.

Found this link for applying the OTA zip manually (using method 1):
http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...ta-update.html

Obviously not exactly the same, but a small modification to step 6 (copy the OTA to /sdcard/update.zip) should work right?
Is there a better/safer method?
Last edited by winnower; 19th August 2014 at 11:55 PM.
20th August 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #24  
exocetdj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bristol UK
Thanks Meter: 2,114
 
3,095 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnower

TWRP didn't do anything... it just loaded up and I rebooted after my brain reminded me that I am dim.

Found this link for applying the OTA zip manually (using method 1):
http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...ta-update.html

Obviously not exactly the same, but a small modification to step 6 (copy the OTA to /sdcard/update.zip) should work right?
Is there a better/safer method?

that guide should work ok in normal circumstances. you could try and install the stock recovery and then flash the ota using the guide. failing that, the best way would be to reflash a custom recovery then rom and start from fresh
20th August 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #25  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by exocetdj

that guide should work ok in normal circumstances. you could try and install the stock recovery and then flash the ota using the guide. failing that, the best way would be to reflash a custom recovery then rom and start from fresh

Well, it didn't work.
The phone sat on the boot screen for about 3 minutes, then rebooted back to the launcher; Settings still showed 4.4.2. Then about a minute later; restart.

Ok, I've made backups of as much as I can (SMS, apps, photos)... I will re-load TWRP, do a full wipe, then install a custom ROM. I wish I didn't have to go through all this hassle.
20th August 2014, 01:58 PM   |  #26  
redpoint73's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,042
 
6,878 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnower


I still have the full OTA zip though... Is there any way for me to adb push that file on the /sdcard/ to force it to complete the update? That way I can just re-flash TWRP and SuperSu and keep my data.

There are certainly ways to "manually" install an OTA, but I'm not that versed in it. Try some searching around, I know its been discussed.
20th August 2014, 02:23 PM   |  #27  
ckpv5's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 8,908
 
6,928 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnower

OTAfile/firmware.xip/android-info.txt:

modelid: 0P6B16000
cidnum: BM___001
cidnum: SASKT001
mainver: 2.23.666.2
btype:1
aareport:1
hbootpreupdate:12

Why don't you start over ?
1. Get the backup for 1.55.666.4 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2701376
2. restore that backup
3. flash STOCK RECOVERY 1.55.666.4 also downloadable from that link above
4. reboot and do OTA up to the latest 2.23.666.2

Note : no need to relock bootloader
20th August 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #28  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Success!
Reflashed SuperSU binary.

The delay in the restart cycle was what tipped me off that it wasn't /system level. My adblocker waits a few moments after boot before applying the filters; when it tried to get root permission, that's when the reboot happened.

Updating my first post as well so future visitors can see my solution.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in One (M8) Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank